could you eat your comp BBQ for dinner?

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
another post brought up an interesting thought to the surface for me.

i understand, its 1 bite, so it has to have IMPACT.

i also can agree my comp BBQ is pretty rich so a little goes a long way.

BUT, i still aspire to cook for a comp the best darn BBQ i want to eat, share, and have everyone enjoy.

you might only be able to take a 1/2 rack instead of a whole, or 8 wings(yes i do wings)instead of 12, or 2 slices of brisket instead of a whole plate(pork, forget it, you can eat PP all day everyday)but still the BBQ isn't 1 and done.

have i missed the boat?

I read the earlier posts. Try not to read too much in to it. However, 5 7's and a 6 in
taste definitely says something. Ford gave a lot of good ideas that I'd like to add one
to, being possibly too much salt.

Yes the BBQ needs to stand out, but just because something stands out doesn't mean
that it's great Q.

Yes, we eat our competition BBQ. I like it spicy. I dont make it quite as spicy as
I'd prefer it, as I dont want to turn them off. I make it ever-so-slighly more salty
than I like it, again because I'm very sensitive to salt and pretty much hate it. I like
a nice pepper burn. Guess that's pretty much why I really like Blues Hog Tennessee
Red, but that's another story. Yes, I can sit down and eat a plate or two of pulled
pork (my favorite), or a rack of ribs without any real problem.

Does that matter (above); not really. I suggest get a few friends who will be brutally
honest and let them try the Q. Also, dont eat it right off, but have them put it in a
box on top of lettuce (or whatever) and eat it 15 to 20 minutes later. See how it
turns out.

That, and another idea might be to go judge a contest or two. You'll see what
comes across the table that works and what doesn't work.

agreed on the spicy, i like it too, but tone it down. salt has it's place a little or alot, depends on what you're cooking. for BBQ i use very little. it doesn't need it.

as for feedback, when the cook is on it's ON. and i'm told. when it's off, i am also told.

consistency is key, and that is hard to master.

ford always has, good advice...

BUT, you CAN have your comp que for dinner?

I enjoy all of the BBQ I make. Again I am still in the first year of competing. But I still want to enjoy a good plate of BBQ~!!!!

Wings? I am going to try that this weekend. Have any luck with them?

I still eat everything I cook for comps, at least one sample to make sure I'm still on the right path. I had stopped eatting ribs for a while because I practiced my ribs the most and really got tired of eatting them but now eat them again because I see everyone else eat and want to know where can they buy BBQ like that. I have a brother and sister in law that want me to freeze and send babbybacks and brisket up and send it to Virgina because they say there is no good BBQ around like mine.

Absolutely!! What else am I going to do with practice session meat but feed my family and friends.
I don't subscribe to the "good comp que isn't good eating que" theory.
My goal with the first bite is to make them want to take a second bite..
..now what's not good eating que about that?

I won't turn in what I won't eat.

thanks for the feedback guys.
thats pretty much what i thought, but it had been mentioned that if you could eat it for dinner then it was "under spiced". so i wasn't sure if i was just way off the mark with my competition flavor profile goals.

and thats exactly what i do, feed the fam, guys at work, myself, always looking for critical feedback.

The only thing I would eat would be my ribs...the other meats are too jazzed up for my personal taste buds...:cool:

i don't know if judges use pallet clensing stuff like crackers or whatever but if your eating a bunch of highly spiced stuff it does create a standard on your taste buds, then if you get some regular every day que, even though it may be really good it may fall flat on their pallet. consider a regular everyday good bbq sauce and then compare it to blues hog. the sugar content is higher, the acid content is higher, the spice content is higher and there are notes of other flavors such as cola and lemon but it is balanced very well. when we cook at a competition (and please take into consideration that we have only done four; so, what do we know? :-D ) we try to cook what we like but condence and balance the flavors while adding flavor notes. in the Battle of the Barbeque Brethren 2010 video Eric's niece caught me applying a secret flavor note to our ribs... country time lemonade mix!

Last edited:
I love some leftover brisket on sunday after a contest...brisket sandwich and a bloody mary is BBQ rehab for me on a sunday.

I'm not a fan of comp BBQ, period, end of story:laugh: After a contest I want to find the closest salad bar! A bite or two tastes great, but after sampling four categories, seasoning, saucing, and boxing it up when it's ready for the judges....I don't want to look at BBQ for a couple of days.

Working on recipes at home, I'll eat what I can to learn what I need to and give the rest to friends, family, neighbors, anybody that will take it and get that smell out of my fridge.

The only exception for me is when I get some quality burnt ends. I wasn't raised on them here in Texas. I'll power down a plate of even the most mediocre burnt ends because of the contrast in flavor and texture in comparison to the slices I grew up eating.

I bring a FoodSaver to the comp and break everything up into meal sized packages for freezing. It usually runs out just in time for the next comp. So, the answer is definitely yes, I do eat my BBQ comp meats for dinner.

Back