MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Go for the hinged flat top... and ask for the grilling option.

My Klose pit has a hidden grilling grate inside the firebox (under the lid).
Keep the lid flat for warming purposes, too.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Enough counter space, so you don't have to worry about dropping a pan while opening the door and I wish I had sliding shelves.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
superdan
Full Fledged Farker

I wouldn't really say I don't like it, I just don't use it much. As long as you can grill in that firebox you're good!
superdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
FIREPIT
On the road to being a farker

Thanks all for the great advice! I'm not "as" confused as I was a couple of days ago, lol. I'm ordering the Party Gator and the options I'm definitely going with are:

24"
Tuning Plates
Gas Assist
Probe Ports
SS Drop Down Shelf
Birdhouse Smokestack
Large Locking Casters
Charcoal Basket

Options I'm still debating on are:

Fire Box Size, Thickness, Shape
Cooking Chamber Length
Counter Weight on Single Door

Thanks again for all the help!

[SIZE=2]Gator Pit Party Gator 24X42 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" WSM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" Weber Performer Gold[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CG Akorn[/SIZE]
Thermapen, Black [COLOR=black]with [/COLOR][COLOR=red]Red Flames[/COLOR] (fastest)

[SIZE=2][B]"Spare rib anyone?" - Adam[/B][/SIZE]
FIREPIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #20
DarylCincy
Found some matches.

I'm ordering the Party Gator and the options I'm definitely going with are:

24"
Tuning Plates
Gas Assist
Probe Ports
SS Drop Down Shelf
Birdhouse Smokestack
Large Locking Casters
Charcoal Basket

Cooking Chamber Length

Thanks again for all the help![/QUOTE]

I would go 24"x 24" on a round firebox with a 48" length cooking chamber.
If you go say 40" to 44" cooking chamber I would go alitte shorter on the firebox say 20" for the 40" and 22" for the 42-44".
I did not mention before about the door counter weight, yes if I had it to do over yes on that counter weight.
You may have metioned before about front shelf ? Wider is better 12",13" or 14" wide is what you want, 10"or 11" not wide enought.
Wheels the five inch now standard may work just fine for you, the only reason I went with the 8 inch locking wheels was that I knew I was going to have to push it around the block when I moved and locking because it originally was on a driveway with a grade to could have rolled down, now that I've moved and its on a flat concrete slab I really dont need the bigger locking wheels.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #21
FIREPIT
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylCincy View Post
I'm ordering the Party Gator and the options I'm definitely going with are:

24"
Tuning Plates
Gas Assist
Probe Ports
SS Drop Down Shelf
Birdhouse Smokestack
Large Locking Casters
Charcoal Basket

Cooking Chamber Length

Thanks again for all the help!
I would go 24"x 24" on a round firebox with a 48" length cooking chamber.
If you go say 40" to 44" cooking chamber I would go alitte shorter on the firebox say 20" for the 40" and 22" for the 42-44".
I did not mention before about the door counter weight, yes if I had it to do over yes on that counter weight.
You may have metioned before about front shelf ? Wider is better 12",13" or 14" wide is what you want, 10"or 11" not wide enought.
Wheels the five inch now standard may work just fine for you, the only reason I went with the 8 inch locking wheels was that I knew I was going to have to push it around the block when I moved and locking because it originally was on a driveway with a grade to could have rolled down, now that I've moved and its on a flat concrete slab I really dont need the bigger locking wheels.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Daryl!

I'm thinking I'll go with a 24X42 with a counter weight on the lid and a 22" firebox. If I go with a 1/2" firebox, do you think the griddle option will get hot enough having to go through thicker metal? I live in Louisiana and there is not a lot of really cold temps here so do you think the 1/2" is worth it?

Thanks again

[SIZE=2]Gator Pit Party Gator 24X42 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" WSM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]22.5" Weber Performer Gold[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]CG Akorn[/SIZE]
Thermapen, Black [COLOR=black]with [/COLOR][COLOR=red]Red Flames[/COLOR] (fastest)

[SIZE=2][B]"Spare rib anyone?" - Adam[/B][/SIZE]
FIREPIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

Since someone else is flipping the bill for this I might as well and ask. On a 48" smoking chamber I assume you would have 2 doors correct? I mean one massive door would allow too much heat to leave whenever you open the door. (I'm kinda asking not telling since I never used one)

How hard is it to smoke a whole hog on a smoker like this? Since there is a vertical metal partition in between the two doors. I never smoked one before but it would seem like a shame with such a large cooker.

I was wondering and I'm sure there is something wrong with this idea. Hopefully I don't get laughed away but, is it possible to make a left and right hinged double door with a built in diverter on the left door. Kinda think of it as a French door refrigerator or a cupboard in your kitchen.

The extra lip welded to the left door would stop smoke/heat leaks. You can still open one door at a time. And you can open them booth when dealing with something as large as a whole hog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote