Brisket saucers help

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have never sauced my brisket, I have also never had a top 3 call for briskey. So I'm willing to learn and change.

My question for all you saucers is this. Do you start with your Au Jus and add a little sauce or start with a sauce and add a little Au Jus to thin the sauce?

I'm not looking for secret sauces....unless you feel compelled to share, but I'm trying to find a starting point for Midwest comps.

Where is your brisket finishing on average? How are your tenderness scores? If you are not getting calls it is going to most likely be because your tenderness is off.

Post some of the scores you have been getting recently and it will help other to diagnose where you are going wrong. I highly doubt you are not getting calls because you are not saucing your brisket.

I always sauce my brisket but not heavy. It’s usully a blend of some sauce with the au jus.

A slight film of 50/50 Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red with a heavy course Kosher salt course pepper rub.. Not a typical brisket sauce but what can I say I like it on most anything.

Add sauce to au jus or other way around...either way. The key is finding one that balances your rubs, wrap, wood, etc.

Where is your brisket finishing on average? How are your tenderness scores? If you are not getting calls it is going to most likely be because your tenderness is off.

Post some of the scores you have been getting recently and it will help other to diagnose where you are going wrong. I highly doubt you are not getting calls because you are not saucing your brisket.

I have gotten calls, just not top 3, so I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel just want to fine tune a little this way or that way to see if I can hit a sweet spot.

Tenderness is fine, this is a Briskey pic from my cook yesterday.

Attachments

• 2019-03-21 17.27.10.jpg
    2019-03-21 17.27.10.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 152
I have gotten calls, just not top 3, so I'm not looking to re-invent the wheel just want to fine tune a little this way or that way to see if I can hit a sweet spot.

Tenderness is fine, this is a Briskey pic from my cook yesterday.

Is it an illusion or is that sliced a bit thick? If it is thick, then it looks a bit 'over' tender to me. But I'm just guessing.

I think with your sauce it's more of a consistency thing where your proportions are concerned...so sauce to jus, or jus to sauce it doesn't matter. The amounts are going to be the same for the consistency you're looking for.

Other than that I can't help.

Is it an illusion or is that sliced a bit thick? If it is thick, then it looks a bit 'over' tender to me. But I'm just guessing.

I think with your sauce it's more of a consistency thing where your proportions are concerned...so sauce to jus, or jus to sauce it doesn't matter. The amounts are going to be the same for the consistency you're looking for.

Other than that I can't help.

This was just a home cook so the slices are a little thicker than I do for comps, but it is also part optical illusion. The pic makes it look like they are 1/2 in slices but they are actually just over pencil width.

As far as sauce consistency, I am assuming for comps you guys are using something that has been thinned out pretty well. More like a glaze than typical thick sauce?

Back