MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
Clownkeeper
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default KCBS Back Yard events

Greetings all, I have a question about backyard events. A friend of mine is jumping into the world of competition BBQ starting in KCBS backyard events. I myself have competed in KCBS Master Series events which according to the rules, make me ineligible to compete in the Backyard series. My question is can I still help him out / hang out on the day of the cook or would my presence on his cooking site possibly disqualify him or does that rule apply just to me entering a backyard team as the head cook?
Clownkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know man......that probably will at the end of the day boil down to who is putting the event on, how many teams do they need and who sponsored and provided the prize money?

I would seriously doubt that you couldn't at least "help" in that scenario.

I have competed in a few backyard events that had no issue with registered KCBS teams participating.....but the event was a local event and not affiliated with any BBQ association.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

If the event is KCBS sanctioned, you would not be able to be listed as the head cook. IMO, the spirit of the rule is that you couldn't cook the event, but I don't see why hanging out would be a problem. Others may see that last part differently.

If unsanctioned, you could probably cook it. I would reference the rules for that event if that's the case.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know exact KCBS rules on this but logic would say if he is the head cook and performs head cook duties I don't see an issue with you hanging out or helping out.

That's what I love about this sport. People caring about others and helping each other out. Unfortunately a few bad apples ruin it for us all.

Did my first MBN contest a few weeks ago. Decided to do backyard as I have never done MBN before. Come to find out one of the spouses of a pro team turned in a backyard entry. If she prepared/cooked it herself I have no problem. But if her husband gave her one of his slabs to turn in as a backyard, that's an issue.

Sorry about the rant but I don't see anything morally wrong with it as long as you are just assisting and giving moral support to your buddy.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
If the event is KCBS sanctioned, you would not be able to be listed as the head cook. IMO, the spirit of the rule is that you couldn't cook the event, but I don't see why hanging out would be a problem. Others may see that last part differently.

If unsanctioned, you could probably cook it. I would reference the rules for that event if that's the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post
I don't know exact KCBS rules on this but logic would say if he is the head cook and performs head cook duties I don't see an issue with you hanging out or helping out.
I agree with this, but if you have a particular event in mind you should probably check with the organizer and the KCBS Rep(s) to be safe.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Contact the KCBS rep for the event and ask.

Imo It could give the appearance that you are cooking. I would say hang outside away from his cook site. That being said check with the Rep as the Rep would know for sure. Not saying anything funny is going on but it could give the appearance that there is. So ask a rep and exercise common sense.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right on Q View Post

That's what I love about this sport. People caring about others and helping each other out. Unfortunately a few bad apples ruin it for us all.

Did my first MBN contest a few weeks ago. Decided to do backyard as I have never done MBN before. Come to find out one of the spouses of a pro team turned in a backyard entry. If she prepared/cooked it herself I have no problem. But if her husband gave her one of his slabs to turn in as a backyard, that's an issue.

Sorry about the rant but I don't see anything morally wrong with it as long as you are just assisting and giving moral support to your buddy.
and you know that's the thing about this "sport".....it's kind of like golf in many ways......yes, there are lots of rules that the KCBS rep could call you out on, or a judge etc.....BUT there are tons and tons of things that are STRICTLY up to you and your personal honor to "play by the rules".

case in point is this......over the years, I've had several meat inspections that have gone quickly and everything was fine. I play by the rules. But how do you know that everyone else at the comp doesn't have a second cooler full of meat that has been marinating since Wednesday that as soon as the inspector walks away isn't used from that point on?

how do you know that the folks that have the self contained RV's or large cook trailers that never come outside dont have extra meat marinating inside that has nothing to do with the meat that was inspected? How do you know that the folks who have those trailers where you can't see inside aren't using microwaves or other forms of "illegal" heat to warm their meat right before turn in? Hell, how do those folks know I aint doing the same????? How do any of us really know? I'm so busy during the morning I would never notice somebody doing something like that, much less the folks that are cooking and prepping for the most part inside.

this could go on and on and on.......I personally choose to not worry about it, I inherently want to trust people and I personally believe that most folks want to do things the right way, just like I do.

BUT I also know that money is on the line and when money is on the line, you can easily be surprised.

But I do understand your potential frustration in what you described......I've sometimes had the same kind of concerns at times......I just decided I wouldn't dwell on them and simply choose to trust folks and just try to do the best I could within the rules and try to have the best time I could at each comp.
Gateway 55G Drum

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
GettinPiggy
Got Wood.

I guess the other question is have you competed in 13 "master series" event or won Grand?

KCBS Definition for Backyard Cook Team
A. Any member of the team who has not entered in and
competed in more than twelve (12) sanctioned
"Master Series" BBQ competitions in the past and;
B. Any person who has been a member of a team who
has not been awarded a Grand Champion or Reserve
Champion status in any KCBS Sanctioned "Master
Series" competition and;
C Any member of the team who has competed in three (3)
or less "Master Series BBQ competitions within the
current competition year.
If any member of the team has entered in and competed in more than
twelve (12) sanctioned "Master Series" BBQ competitions — in the
past, they are ineligible to participate in the Backyard competition.
Any person who was a member of a team who has competed in three
(3) or less "Master Series" BBQ competitions within one (1)
competition year may be considered a backyard cook and may
declare or revert to such status. This includes the Chief Cook and/or
Assistant Cooks. The only exclusion to this rule would be those judges
cooking with a team to qualify for master judge status. Individuals who
feel they have extenuating circumstances may appeal to the KCBS
Sanctioning committed or their designee for reconsideration as a
backyard cook. Those requests must be made in writing within 90
days of the competition in question.
The purpose is to ensure a level playing field in the cooking competition.
The Cook Team cannot have been compensated as a Pro BBQ Restaurant
or Caterer.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I may be naive, but I prefer to believe that the intent of the rules, Master events or backyard, will be followed. That being said, I know that there'll be someone pushing the limits of the rules. I just don't care to make that part of my routine.

While I'm ranting, is this really a sport? (I say this with a grin).
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
I may be naive, but I prefer to believe that the intent of the rules, Master events or backyard, will be followed. That being said, I know that there'll be someone pushing the limits of the rules. I just don't care to make that part of my routine.

While I'm ranting, is this really a sport? (I say this with a grin).

That’s why anytime I refer to it as a “sport” I have to use “”. Lol.
Gateway 55G Drum

Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
Clownkeeper
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will contact the reps when it gets close to the contest. That seems to be the safe way.
Clownkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->