• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Memphis Elite Electronics

Smokey-T

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a pellet grill. If I do it, I want to do it once and get the best I can. I have a short list, and the Memphis Elite is on it. My question is about the electronics. I cannot find a great deal of information on it.

Are they as good or as flexible as the other major brands? A Savanna Stoker? I am an IT guy and I like lots of options, programming abilities, etc.

If you have one or know any details, please share.

Much appreciated!

Ted

To my knowledge you can’t adjust the ht and lt parameters like you can on a cookshack pg500 or 1000. The mobile app is ok and can control the cooker from your phone, but you can’t create a custom cook profile like Mak or others.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One thing Memphis does have that not too many others do is an open flame setting on the controller. When grilling, it is beneficial because is will override what temp the rtd is reading so it doesn't dial back the pelletfeed. I always thought it was strange more brands didn't use that trick.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess what I was looking for was some pellet smokers allow a complex program when smoking meat. It would allow you to start at a low temp (180F or so) to allow ample smoke until meat hits a temp of X (140F or so), then would ramp it to a set temp for remainder of cook at say 250F. Some even have a ramp down once meat has reached desired temp.

So Memphis doesn't allow this type of interaction?

I guess what I was looking for was some pellet smokers allow a complex program when smoking meat. It would allow you to start at a low temp (180F or so) to allow ample smoke until meat hits a temp of X (140F or so), then would ramp it to a set temp for remainder of cook at say 250F. Some even have a ramp down once meat has reached desired temp.

You are correct - the Memphis controller doesn't let you do this. I looked at the Memphis & MAK lines recently. The MAK controller WILL let you do this. I ended up buying a MAK 2 Star. There's nothing out there on the market that doesn't require some kind of performance sacrifice. The challenge (and fun) is figuring out which features and build quality align with your requirements.

Not that I know of. If that is something you would use, I would look at Mak. Not something that was high on my list.

No, it doesn’t allow you to do this from a program. It would need to be done manually with the app. Mak does allow you to do this though. The Memphis DOES ramp down to 180 to hold your food once the food probe has reached its target temp (if you want it to...the Elite has 3 probe ports...one of them does this, the other two ports will NOT ramp down to hold the food. Just alerts you)

Imo the Memphis is a fantastic griller and a good smoker...the Mak is more so the opposite. Both are well made. The Memphis Elite is made and put together like a fine appliance and it reaches extremely high temps, but their tech could be a bit better.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Appreciate the input! I am not a big fan of the Mak shape and size. Seems small compared to others.

Appreciate the input! I am not a big fan of the Mak shape and size. Seems small compared to others.

You can fit a lot of food on the MAK, especially when you add the second shelf option.

I have a MAK and love the ability to program cooks.

If I were to buy again, it’d be between MAK and Memphis. If I grilled more often, I’d get a Memphis, but I just use my gas grill for that.

I thought i was the only one. The shape is not appealing to me. Looks too much like a grill. I know they are one of the best but my stupid mind can't get passed it. :doh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought i was the only one. The shape is not appealing to me. Looks too much like a grill. I know they are one of the best but my stupid mind can't get passed it. :doh:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, love the looks of the MAK 1 Star, the roll top lid, flame zone, controller, overall engineering of the grill and how it works. I like the Memphis grills too which look even more like a grill than the MAKs imo.

As I continue my research, I have been analyzing the two following:

1). MAK 2 Star- full upper rack, cabnt door, cover and wireless w/2 xtra probes - $3569
2). Memphis Elite with full upper rack, cover, wireless and three probes - $4128

All prices are totals, shipped.

A couple thoughts. I have heard some issues with MAK wireless. The Memphis looks to provide almost 3x's the space in the smoker. The Memphis is a killer searing machine if you are in need of that.

I was very surprised that there was only a difference of $559 in these two pellet smokers once I added all the wanted accessories. I realize that buys a lot of pellets, but I want something for the long haul.

Leaning toward Memphis Elite, but looking for any input that I should be aware of prior to pulling the trigger.

Thanks all!

Did you see the other thread where they mention issues with the Memphis? I guess they have users on fb posting about it. I'd look into it if i was about to buy one. Might be nothing or a reason to go another direction.

1). MAK 2 Star- full upper rack, cabnt door, cover and wireless w/2 xtra probes - $3569
2). Memphis Elite with full upper rack, cover, wireless and three probes - $4128

A couple thoughts. I have heard some issues with MAK wireless. The Memphis looks to provide almost 3x's the space in the smoker. The Memphis is a killer searing machine if you are in need of that.

I was very surprised that there was only a difference of $559 in these two pellet smokers once I added all the wanted accessories. I realize that buys a lot of pellets, but I want something for the long haul.

Leaning toward Memphis Elite, but looking for any input that I should be aware of prior to pulling the trigger.

Thanks all!

I honestly don’t think you could go wrong either way. Sometimes when buying smokers we like to be super logical about it and it’s good to weigh the pros and cons of smokers to narrow down the search. Well you literally narrowed it down to the cream of the crop. I’ve always believed Mak Memphis and cookshack have the best residential pellet smokers and Yoder the best competition pellet smokers. Like I said before, you can’t go wrong at this point. Logic aside I’d follow your gut and get the one that “speaks to you” the most

Thanks all!

Join the Memphis and MAK Facebook groups before buying. That’s your best bet at a lot of candid feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from thinking the MAK 1 Star was about the ugliest thing out there to buying one. It really grew on me.

I went from thinking the MAK 1 Star was about the ugliest thing out there to buying one. It really grew on me.

The secret is to stop looking.

Back