MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up UDS Drum search thread

Love Main UDS thread and there is a wealth of information. I know the biggest issue is finding Drums. My thought with starting this thread is to be able to help each other with ideas for finding drums without sifting through 850 pages. I am still looking for drums but have some leads that sound promising.
just post
1 Where you found your Drum, type of business.
2 How much you paid for your drum if anything
3 Contents of drum
4 Condition and type of drum new/used, open/closed head, Lined/unlined

My hope is to help those looking to build streamline the searching process to be able to find a quality drum quickly. thanks

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

I currently have 2 leads

First is a roofing company. A guy who takes care of all the flat roofs gets that ruberized coating in 55gal drums. Says when done the residue will peel out as one big chunk. they are unlined, open head, for free. Waiting to see if he comes through.

If that falls through stopped at a property of a guy that does a lot of scrapping. he has brand new open head drums, for $8 each. They had Vaseline in them, but have the red liner.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
kls44
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ken

Got mine free from a road painting outfit. It had the water base temporary paint in it, no liner. Cleaned up pretty good, but I burned it anyway.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Used Drums are All over Craigslist Here from $10-$50. Feed Stores sell them too around Here.
I have used Food grade (Fricken Red liner) that held chocolate syrup in a big bag, Transmission Oil and Motor Oil drums. The Oil drums were no liner closed Tops that I used for T-Bone and T-Bone II. Round Grates came from Walmart and Academy Sports - Pipe Nipples, Handles and Hardware from Home Depot and expanded metal, flat bar and angle iron from the Metal Supply.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #5
ommez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

1.) I got mine from a distribution center/shipping company.
2.) It was something like $20 or $30
3.) Food grade barrel that had some type of oil in it.
4.) It was new. Open top and they gave me the lid/ring to go with it.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Spoggly
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

For those in the Los Angeles area, consider Apex Drum Company in Commerce. $50 cash for a refurbished, bare, factory burned, and sandblasted drum. Sure made it easy for me to get started on my build. Yes it's a few more dollars, but from what I've read on this site and others, I'm glad I avoided the burn and stripping process.
Spoggly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

The guy I found on CL had a bunch of barrels from his cooking oil recycling business. Interesting dude.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
Hogleg
Found some matches.

I found mine at Ace Hardware for 12.00, contents was tomatoe juice. 22.5 kettle lid fits it just fine.
Hogleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
mikemci
Babbling Farker

In San Antonio, see "Dave the Barrel Man". He is aware of the UDS thing and puts barrels aside for those customers, ie removeable lids and no liners. I paid $30.
red Thermapen

There are two kinds of countries in the world, those that use the metric system and the one that sent men to the moon and back.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-29-2017, 08:12 AM   #10
tmehlhorn
Full Fledged Farker

Found a guy who races. Said he has drums that had racing fuel in them. Believe they are closed head, not sure about a liner. But they are free

Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #11
TurkeyLeg
On the road to being a farker

I buy mine here: http://www.firststatesteeldrum.com/
TurkeyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
nautique1228
On the road to being a farker

I was wanting a smooth sided drum like a gateway and hunsaker. Anyone know where to find those? i can get them at cary company in chicago but shipping is expensive to KC. Maybe and I can find some local brethren that would want to go in and split the cost, Cheaper to ship a pallet of 8. I would like to know how the thickness compares on the straight side vs the ribbed. My guess is the straight side is thicker to provide more strength since its lacking the ribs.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #13
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautique1228 View Post
I was wanting a smooth sided drum like a gateway and hunsaker. Anyone know where to find those? i can get them at cary company in chicago but shipping is expensive to KC. Maybe and I can find some local brethren that would want to go in and split the cost, Cheaper to ship a pallet of 8. I would like to know how the thickness compares on the straight side vs the ribbed. My guess is the straight side is thicker to provide more strength since its lacking the ribs.
They are thicker, and slightly larger around, maybe a half inch. The company I work for gets glue in them in a bag, with a goldish colored liner and solid lid and ring. I've built a few UDS out of them with out removing the liner. We use 4 to 5 drums a day. The empties get loaded on a trailer and sold for scrap. I've threatened to ship a semi trailer load to BBQ Bubba. One of these days Bud. I think it's almost 250 drums, I'm sure his neighbors wouldn't mind.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great idea for thread. Hope you all have a barrel of fun finding and building your next smoker!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #15
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

DC Beltway east area -

They painted the outside of my barrel, it was no help, had to burn it off,
ask them NOT to paint your barrel. $35
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Search, uds