MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #61
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

Damn!! Just what my wife needs; another darn cooker!
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #62
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I'm really surprised to hear that temps respond rather quickly. I'm wondering if your initial higher heat or the fact that you lit your lump at the bottom has anything to do with that? Or maybe your maverick is more sensitive than stem therms..

I'm curious what the footprint LxW is with the tables folded down? Is it heavy to load it in back of a pickup? I have no intentions of getting rid of my kegs, but this is why I ask..
I stopped by Lowes the other night to check the CGK out. It weighs about half what the BK weighs.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #63
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I stopped by Lowes the other night to check the CGK out. It weighs about half what the BK weighs.
What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #64
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

I had a keg for several years and I can tell by your video that there is a LOT to like about your new cooker. They took a lot of the ideas that In-zone had with the keg and expanded on them even further. I'm afraid that you will eventually have to seal off that lower gasket. It's a great concept but I just can't see it going the long haul. I hope it does though. If it that happens, just take a pie pan and use it to pull the ash out the top. It's nice that the flanges are their for the diffuser to sit on because that would make great "handles" for pulling the fire box out. BK doesn't have that so it can be a little awkward to pull out.

I think you are going to be really happy with that cooker.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #65
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
What makes the BK so heavy? At 90lbs that would put the BK at over 150? Thats about what the large egg weighs.
It's not that heavy. I think the BK weighs about 65 pounds...ish. ;)
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #66
Nomo4me
On the road to being a farker

I'd be curious to hear why you make this supposition. Is it based on observation of another cooker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
I had a keg for several years and I can tell by your video that there is a LOT to like about your new cooker. They took a lot of the ideas that In-zone had with the keg and expanded on them even further. I'm afraid that you will eventually have to seal off that lower gasket. It's a great concept but I just can't see it going the long haul. I hope it does though. If it that happens, just take a pie pan and use it to pull the ash out the top. It's nice that the flanges are their for the diffuser to sit on because that would make great "handles" for pulling the fire box out. BK doesn't have that so it can be a little awkward to pull out.

I think you are going to be really happy with that cooker.
Nomo4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #67
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When I need to get rid of ash in my Keg, I just use an old vacuum cleaner with a hose, Sucks it right up in less than 30 seconds. Easy.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I don't know. But, the BK's walls are thicker than the CGK's walls. The CI grate is heavier too. Either way, the BK is a good bit heavier than the CGK.

That doesn't mean the CGK isn't a good cooker, though. I'm tempted to pick one up myself.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #69
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
When I need to get rid of ash in my Keg, I just use an old vacuum cleaner with a hose, Sucks it right up in less than 30 seconds. Easy.
I use a grill pan (basket) to hold the charcoal (the kind sold at Lowes for ~$10.00) and an aluminum pan in the bottom of my BK. All I have to do is empty the pans and I'm done cleaning up the ash.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #70
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I use a grill pan (basket) to hold the charcoal (the kind sold at Lowes for ~$10.00) and an aluminum pan in the bottom of my BK. All I have to do is empty the pans and I'm done cleaning up the ash.
Joe, I have the basket and the pan, but it's easy to use the vacuum, and then I don't have to actually touch the charcoal or the pan and get all full of soot. It's a chick thing. lol
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #71
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I saw this cooker at Lowes a couple weeks ago and it's at least 25lbs lighter than the keg. I'd be careful of using a really cheap pie pan at the bottom of the fire grate to catch ashes. About 1 1/2 yrs ago, after a brisket cook, somehow the ash pan caught fire with a really dark and stinky smoke. The flames were almost coming out of the lower vent. I had been using a cheap pie pan before with no problems, but that incident was enough for me to stop. I would recommend something heavier.

I've also used a shop vac, but it just seems to create a mess for me.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #72
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

For maintaining a lower temp for low and slow, I start with fewer hot coals. If I start with too large of a fire in my BGE, then the temp likes to climb up higher than what I was wanting, but if I start with a smaller fire initially, it keeps the temps lower for a longer period of time. If you're using a chimney to start the lump, you might try reducing the number of coals in the chimney by 1/4 to 1/3.
I've been using the BGE starter cubes, and for a lower running temp, I just use 1/2 of a cube to get the lump going.
By the way, a box of the BGE cubes is $6.99. Tractor supply recently had the same thing (without the BGE name on it) for $1.99.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #73
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly-one View Post
For maintaining a lower temp for low and slow, I start with fewer hot coals. If I start with too large of a fire in my BGE, then the temp likes to climb up higher than what I was wanting, but if I start with a smaller fire initially, it keeps the temps lower for a longer period of time. If you're using a chimney to start the lump, you might try reducing the number of coals in the chimney by 1/4 to 1/3.
I've been using the BGE starter cubes, and for a lower running temp, I just use 1/2 of a cube to get the lump going.
By the way, a box of the BGE cubes is $6.99. Tractor supply recently had the same thing (without the BGE name on it) for $1.99.
I wonder how the BGE starter cubes compare to the Weber starter cubes? A box of 24 of the Weber cubes is less than 4 bux. In reality half a cube might work with those too.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #74
Sly-one
Full Fledged Farker

The BGE cubes (not really cube shaped) are about 3/8" thick and about 1.5 inches on each side.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #75
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Here's Part 3 of the review: Cooking a 7-lb Boston Butt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyZasR9aF0

Thanks from: --->

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado