MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default Fun time at RD

Made the long run to Restaurant Depot yesterday. Got there a little late so I could not wander around as much as I like, but it was a good trip.

Found a corned Angus Packer for $2.29 Lb. Cut that into thirds and will try one for Pastrami.

Then a 10 lb. box of Ahi tuna. $49.90. I would prefer fresh but that was $11 a lb.

But the best was an Angus skirt at $5.59 a lb. Sliced it into 15 nice steaks which came out to about $5.33 each. And I only had 1.75 lb of waste for the whole thing.

I checked out with about five minutes to closing, with still some long lines at the cashier. Over heard the Head guy saying that this was a record breaking day for them. They did over 1.625 million! I'm in the wrong business.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice looking pile-o-beef you got there Jim

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
palmcoastbob
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Making my monthly run next Saturday. Worth every mile. I think the Eye of Rounds are among the best values. Also the cheese and the Deli meats and the Shrimp and the... well, you get the picture

Last edited by palmcoastbob; 03-06-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Spelling of course!
palmcoastbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
But the best was an Angus skirt at $5.59 a lb. Sliced it into 15 nice steaks which came out to about $5.33 each. And I only had 1.75 lb of waste for the whole thing.
RD is fun That looks more like strip steak, not skirt steak to me.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't going to argue with anyone who goes by the name "chef." ;)
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
That's what I was thinking too but I wasn't going to argue with anyone who goes by the name "chef." ;)
OK you got me, the secrete is out, I don't know how to spell and I don't know my cuts of meat. I thought if I used strip you guys might get all excited, I do. Then again I seem to have skirts on the brain. Along with strippers.

And if you guys would read my signature you might figure out that I am not really a "Chef" I just play one on the internet.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Well, I read "strip," so perhaps that tells you where my mind is at. That looks great Jim, you planning on some company?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

You can call it chicken for all I care. I see what ya got there, and I'm only a hop, skip and a jump away! I'd lock the freezer up if I were you
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Mad About Que

i buy all my meat there.. the only issue that i have is that the the breaker packs don't have dates on them.. have had that bite me in the butt a couple times. cut open the cyro and get that bad cheese smell..? shout a few not so nice words, look at the clock and realize that they closed 15 minutes ago... then head to sams.

another good point for them.. i like to pick thru the bone in butts to get the packs that are the same size. if you buy more than 40#s, you get the case price.

they have a trick to the ribs tho.. baby backs there are mostly 32-35 lbs a case. so you think you buy a case, you get the case price? usually. baby backs are 38# min to get the buld discount. annoying. (and speaking of ribs, theirs are heavy for 2.5's. lots of loin of the racks... )

but i do love them..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Que View Post
i buy all my meat there.. the only issue that i have is that the the breaker packs don't have dates on them..
Ah... but they do have a date. It is the Julian day of the year that they received the meat. It is a three digit code.

Here is the decoder ring.

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/fepp/juliandate.htm

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
Mad About Que

i'll have to look at that next tomorrow... going to go buy some briskets.. i'll update with some pics tomorrow..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Gore, not planning on company unless Bluetang plans to really raid my freezer.

Blue, if you would like to try to get near my freezer, you will have to get past my two big dogs, and then a small army of assault weapon's.

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice Jim
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
NeoTrout