MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
Fatmike
On the road to being a farker

Awesome, Thank you...
Fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
GT-Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatmike View Post
What does the 1/2 inch coupler consist of?
Its a 1/2" NPT black pipe coupling. Standard steel pipe coupling. We're planning to use thermometers similar to these:

http://www.grainger.com/product/ASHC...rmometer-2A606

Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #18
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatmike View Post
Bingo...Answered my question I posted a few days ago. I have the same pit that I was having trouble with airflow having to keep the door open...I'm going to have mine modified...How is it cooking now? Does the other vent help considerably? How big of an opening do you have in the firebox going into the smoking chamber now? The old one like mine is huge...Thanks for posting :)
When I ran it through the calculator the two vents were only providing about 80% of the air needed. Combine that with the cutouts behind the vents not being clean and blocking some of the air and I figure I was getting about 60-70% of the air needed till I opened the door. We had the cutouts opened up to match the existing vents and added the third one and from what GT-Q says it works great now (I have yet to cook on it).

Before the mods I couldn't get it to hold 250 for long and could never get it above 300 but I think GT-Q said he easily got it to 325 and could hold whatever temp he wanted.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Fatmike

That is exactly my issue...250 for a short bit and struggled to get her above 225 there after. There I sat holding the door cracked...lol
That's great news..i'm finally excited about this smoker again.
Thank you for all your help!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Nice looking mods.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #21
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

looks good

makes me wonder how much extra the mods to make it breathe correctly would cost him to do.

just seems to me the thing should at least breathe correctly to begin with

the other stuff, I can see not including becasue of cost
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Last edited by ButtBurner; 11-13-2013 at 08:43 AM..
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I think it is great that you have documented the mods to make this style a better cooker. If I recall coreectly there are about three different builders making this style cooker and all have had problems documented on the forum in the last year or so. Glad you have one with the 6" exhaust to start with, that was a serious issue with the earlier units. As you said, on the plus side it is hard to beat the price point and with at least three manufacturers there is likely to be quite a few sold. It is great to have all this info in one place to share with folks so they can hopefully make an informed purchase decision and/or make mods to suit their needs. The overall style has some really appealing design features and I've seen a few other comp teams some with mods, some without managing to turn out some really nice Q. Best of luck.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #23
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

FatMike do you have the Bigger exhaust also?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
Fatmike

Yes I do have the bigger exhaust thank goodness

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

nothing but respect for you man. It's great to see someone getting a cheaper rig and improving it to what you want it to be.. adding a little sweat equity in your pit now.. you will be so much prouder when you are cooking on her now.. i for one.. applaud you! I don't have as much respect for people that buy a lower cost rig and just complain about it... (its a lower cost rig for a reason)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
GT-Q

DownHomeQue, That is a killer build! Wow!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #27
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
nothing but respect for you man. It's great to see someone getting a cheaper rig and improving it to what you want it to be.. adding a little sweat equity in your pit now.. you will be so much prouder when you are cooking on her now.. i for one.. applaud you! I don't have as much respect for people that buy a lower cost rig and just complain about it... (its a lower cost rig for a reason)
The sweat part of it goes to others and I am very thankful to have folks around me that are willing to help out for next to nothing. I do need to cook some que for them very soon!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Q View Post
DownHomeQue, That is a killer build! Wow!
Thanks!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Ag80n, Howdy, I'm new to the site, Uncle Sam is done with me after 28 years of service. I have been reading lots on various smokers and my hat is off to you on your Greasy Hill info. I have ordered one of their BR-01's, added rib box and basket. I talked to John and they're going to take your improvements on the firebox and make the improvements when they build mine. He (John) was happy to see your post and the positive way you explained the improvements. I'll post info and pictures once I get mine. I can't wait. Regards, Chill
Chill Time Q is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #30
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Time Q View Post
Ag80n, Howdy, I'm new to the site, Uncle Sam is done with me after 28 years of service. I have been reading lots on various smokers and my hat is off to you on your Greasy Hill info. I have ordered one of their BR-01's, added rib box and basket. I talked to John and they're going to take your improvements on the firebox and make the improvements when they build mine. He (John) was happy to see your post and the positive way you explained the improvements. I'll post info and pictures once I get mine. I can't wait. Regards, Chill
My hat's off to you for your service!

When I talked to John he seemed like the kind of person that was willing to listen and improve his product. I was pretty sure that if I had wanted to wait on him to build me one he would have made the performance mods himself. I just knew that I could get them done and he had the model I wanted there that day and at a really good price. I understand some of the other things he does to save production costs such as the skip welds. As I said none of those things were structurally problematic.

I wasn't sure if the air flow was really an issue till I got it home and to be honest I think you could run it with two pinwheels most of the time. The third really does help to get it on up to the 300-350 range when you need it. You could crack the door but I think adding the third intake keeps the draft better and allows hotter runs than an open door would.

Two other mods that we did that I forgot to mention were:

1. to seal the sides of the reverse flow plate with some 1 inch strips (decent size gap there on mine)
2. added a ring and bolt to the base of the propane tank holder to help secure it- may not be needed but couldn't hurt

One other thing I am going to do is add an RV level to the tongue. These things work best with a little nose down tilt and I want something there to help me hit the sweet spot each time.

Been doing a burn in it today and it has been holding 250 pretty even across the grate. The draft is very good now. Fueling with splits about 1 every 45 minutes to an hour which is what I expected.

I was actually thinking of contact John to let him know about the things we did because he seemed interested in that kind of info. Looks like I won't have to now.

For what you pay for his cooker, and especially with John doing these mods, you will get a fine cooker at a great price.

I hope everything turns out well for you and yes please post pics.