• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Potential Changes to KCBS Pork Parting Rule

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I thought this might interest some people. Below is a quote from the committee reports recently posted to the KCBS website:

Our committee suggests the following rewording of cooks' Rule # 10:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds, bone in or boneless. Pork must be cooked whole, the only time that cooked, parted pork may be returned to the cooker is for warming purposes only during the one half hour immediately before the official pork turn-in time.

Thoughts?

dmp

My thoughts are: somebody is finally listening to the cooks. tough to enforce though (just as it is now)

Pretty open ended. After all, cooking is nothing more than warming anyway. It probably should be defined better if they want to go that way. Probably end up adding verbage that says that the MEAT 'warming' temperature is not to exceed 150 degrees or something like that.

If not somebody will try to skirt by saying that 205 internal is 'warming'.

Russ

That there makes A LOT of sense !!.. Pork is the only thing we're not allowed to warm back up... Hopefully, this will become the rule change.. Anybody know when this is voted on and when it'd take effect?

That suggestion is on a committee report for tonight's meeting. Not sure if there will be a vote, nor when that would take effect. Most rule changes take effect the following year.

dmp

That there makes A LOT of sense !!.. Pork is the only thing we're not allowed to warm back up... Hopefully, this will become the rule change.. Anybody know when this is voted on and when it'd take effect?

Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board....

It goes to the board for review tonight, but would not be implemented until the 2013 season begins.

Since it hasn't been discussed by the entire board at this point, I don't believe it would be appropriate for me to say much more at this point. I'm not campaigning one way or the other in public. Thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

So who enforces the 30 minutes? If we couldn't enforce walking around and randomly checking cooks at 11:00 to see if their meat is parted, how will this be enforced?

Sorry opens up too many cans of worms. Leave the rules alone or learn how to cook pork.

Speaking solely for myself, and not KCBS or the board....

It goes to the board for review tonight, but would not be implemented until the 2013 season begins.

Since it hasn't been discussed by the entire board at this point, I don't believe it would be appropriate for me to say much more at this point. I'm not campaigning one way or the other in public. Thoughts and opinions are always appreciated.

I like the spirit behind it a lot, but would suggest that the grammar be cleaned up a bit. Perhaps something like this:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds, bone in or boneless. Pork must be cooked whole. Once removed from the cooker, the only time the pork may be returned to the cooker (either whole or parted) is for warming purposes. Warming period begins no earlier than 30 minutes prior to the official pork turn-in time.

Or, change it so that it is like the other meats, and can be parted whenever you choose. (I am not so sure that is a good idea, just another idea)

So who enforces the 30 minutes? If we couldn't enforce walking around and randomly checking cooks at 11:00 to see if their meat is parted, how will this be enforced?

Sorry opens up too many cans of worms. Leave the rules alone or learn how to cook pork.

But I don't know how to cook pork !!!:p

All sorts of cans of worms have been opened ever since they started screwing with the pork rule.

How do you keep me from bringing in 2 briskets- one for the meat inspection and one that is under the ice in my drink cooler, already trimmed, injected and seasoned? What about chicken? Ribs? Pork? Everybody has an enclosed trailer or sidewalls with their tents. The cry-o-vac'ed meat that is inspected could be taken home and frozen...to be thawed on Tuesday for the next contest.

I appreciate the possibility of this. If someone wanted to, they could place some very hot bricks in a pan in their Cambro on the bottom and then place the separated pork meat in a pan above...shut the door and it could be in there much longer that the last half hour before the official pork turn-in time.

Which by the way, that last part should be re-worded... It should really say "no earlier than 30 minutes before the official pork turn-in time."

Rules are for honest folk.

In my opinion, the rules can be changed for the good or bad and unfortunately it will always come down to self policing. I have been around a while to be able to personally say I have never seen a rep or organizer, or anyone else ask a cook to see inside a cooker at any point. I am not saying it couldn't happen, I just haven't heard or seen it myself. I would venture a guess that any rule change will not effect many people. I like the fact that the rules committee is busy examining rules and taking input!:clap: I am proud to say that Dave Compton, chair of the committee is doing a great job and is honoring his campaign platform. Let's see what happens and be sure to let all the board members know what you are thinking so they can help us ALL.

The KCBS rules, as many "rules," in society are there for those who abide by them. There will always be "ways around" any rule and people who will blatantly cheat. For me, I'm following the KCBS rules to the letter and not looking for ways to walk a fine line between fair competition and cheating.

If I cheated and won... and wasn't caught... that win would have an "*" by it in my mind, and I'm not willing to have that hanging on my conscience.

So should the rule be changed?... probably, at least to make it consistent with the other categoies. Is this "warming" rule the answer? Probably not, it creates even more of an un-enforceable rule where such rule is not necessary.

I see no reason for the need to reheat. Part of the difficulty of hitting the turn-in times is getting the meat done just at the right time. We reheat nothing at a competition. It is all still (sometimes painfully) still hot when we put our boxes together.

This is a cooking comp, they should allow cooks to cook the meat to the best of their ability as long as the proper fuels are used. The entire parting thing may work for some and may not work for others. Just let us farking cook the best way we know how with legal fuel sources and stop micromanaging stuff because you or your friends cant cook! hahaha

I like the spirit behind it a lot, but would suggest that the grammar be cleaned up a bit. Perhaps something like this:

Once removed from the cooker, the only time the pork may be returned to the cooker (either whole or parted) is for warming purposes. Warming period begins no earlier than 30 minutes prior to the official pork turn-in time.

That wouldn't accurately reflect the rule. At the present time if the pork is whole you can remove it from the cooker and return it to the cooker any time and as often as you want. I don't believe the purpose of the new wording is meant to change that. It's simply meant to give people a chance to turn in piping hot pork. You may be correct that the wording isn't the best and needs to be tweaked.

How does this open up a can of worms ? How is it any less enforceable than the current rule ? Who checks now to make sure there is no parted meat in a cooker ?

I'd like to see the parting rule go away completely but it aint gonna happen. Such is life.

That wouldn't accurately reflect the rule. At the present time if the pork is whole you can remove it from the cooker and return it to the cooker any time and as often as you want. I don't believe the purpose of the new wording is meant to change that. It's simply meant to give people a chance to turn in piping hot pork.

It's meant to give legal sanction to people putting parted pork back in the cooker.

There is no such thing as "piping hot" pork once the box has been walked and waited to be renumbered, shown to 6 judges, and laid on a paper mat for as long as it takes to distribute from 6 boxes.

Back