Basket Burn Time

frugalsob

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

A few weeks ago I finished my CG mods. I got my stacked extended to grate level, modded the SFB to accompany some home-made baskets, and added some baffle plates to the main chamber.

Between the stack extension and the baffle plates I was VERY pleased to see that after some adjustments my temps, left to right, were +/- 3 degrees. I was VERY happy about that! :becky:

So, I built myself a couple of baskets and did a test run and after I got the temp stabilized I got about a 4 hours of "good" burn temps around 230 degrees.

Now I just posted on someone else's thread about thier basket situation and it got me thinking about it again...

Is 4 hours good/bad/otherwise. It's obviously a much longer burn than without the baskets, but wonder if I could get it longer. I've seen some people mention they us briqs. Would that get me a longer burn?

I also wonder if sealing it better would help. To maintain the temps I had my intake vent was BARELY open...

Or am I being too critical about it and be happy with what I got?

Thoughts, comments, or opinions?

P.S. - I had my first taste of Keri's beans this last weekend at a friends house... Words cannot describe... WOW... Not sure who Keri is, but I thank her!!! :eusa_clap

Andy, i saw you on the other thread as well. i was on there as i had built four of these baskets for my use. i also have CG's - super pro and outlaw, with all the mods. i get about 6 hours per basket. the ones i made are12x12x6 and i just load them up with lump and hickory chunks and i get 6 hours out of them. on longer burns i will always have a baskket ready to swap out and i just dump the old hot coals onto the fresh basket and put it in the firebox. quick swap out has little to no impact on my chamber temps. what are you burning?

Currently I burn Grove Lump Coal with some Hickory or Apple wood chunks. My baskets are a bit smaller cause of the size of the scrap pieces I got. My boxes are 9.5" x 13.25" x 6".

I think you would get longer burns using briquets utilizing the Minion method. I've only used mine once since I made my basket and modded it.

I think you would get longer burns using briquets utilizing the Minion method. I've only used mine once since I made my basket and modded it.

I use lump and get 6 hours with minion method in the baskets. i've never used briquets. do you really get longer time from them?

Back