MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Disconnect
On the road to being a farker

Default Q: Judging and bite-through skin

Is there a new rule on bite-through skin in judging this year?

On Saturday, we got a comment on our chicken ("rubbery skin" on a 6 for tenderness.) On the one hand, I'd love to encourage comment cards and it is certainly possible one of the thighs we put in didn't have perfect skin (the others did, and the judges agreed.) The problem is, another team told us that they aren't supposed to rate bite-through skin this year.

Is it worth contacting KCBS or did I get bad info? It doesn't matter specifically (we weren't DAL and we're nowhere near the awards) but if it is being judged incorrectly, they should notify the judge. And if not, I should SFTU and get back to cooking :)

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Bite through skin is not really talked about one way or the other specifically. The only comment made about skin is if it is presented with skin on you should taste it. That being said when judging for tenderness if you have a rubbery or tough to chew piece of skin in the bite it is going to effect the tenderness score. keith

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Disconnect

That was pretty much my thought when I got the card - it was a 6, lower than we've been getting but not worth freaking out over (and I was glad to know why.) The other guys were pretty vehement that it was badly judged and needed to be brought to KCBS, so I wanted to get another opinion before I go running around yelling :)

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

If I presented something that isn't tender I would expect my tenderness scores to be low. It doesn't say "ignore skin texture" in the rules. Now if you pulled the skin off and somebody marked you down for not having skin that is wrong. You are to judge what is presented not what you think should be in the box. If your going to put skin on chicken in the box I would make sure the skin is tender.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
AbleAcresBBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Bourbon Barrel-How about sharing your technique on the Jeffersonville chicken entry!
AbleAcresBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

file this away in the cooks make terrible judges drawer.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleAcresBBQ View Post
Bourbon Barrel-How about sharing your technique on the Jeffersonville chicken entry!
Ha! It's the same one that didn't get a call in the last 3 comps.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I took the CBJ class held this year in Lake Havasu, AZ and the way this issue was presented is that the chicken should be bite through. Someone asked what that meant about the skin, (there were a number of experienced cooks in the class), and the answer was that the chicken should be bite through. Big help, huh.

Here is what I think was being implied: If there is skin attached to the chicken and you can't bite through it, the chicken wasn't "bite through" and the tenderness score should reflect this accordingly.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you take a bite of chicken and the whole skin comes off and slaps you in the chin, your skin is not very tender. so your tenderness score is "average".
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've only judged in the West, and can say that although many judges appreciate good quality skin (either soft bite-thru, or crispy & bite-thru), they put most of their emphasis with respect to scoring... on meat texture and moistness. After the first bite, most pieces are generally separated to some degree, and the second bite (if there is one) may or may not include skin.

All that said ... I've been in the situation several times where I got a good bite on a particular entry and notice another judge with a bad bite.. The blinders go on for me, and I judge my piece as-is.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Disconnect

Thanks all!

That all sounds like what I was thinking initially - we had a piece in there with an imperfect skin and the judge was nice enough to throw a card in and let us know what was wrong. (I would have been more concerned if it potentially dropped us out of the calls, but we pulled 62 of 69 so.. And his other 2 scores were pretty good.)

The response from the other team was .. excited. (But they were trying to help, and we can use all the help we can get!)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

I never judge down if an entry does not have bite through skin.

"Remember, as a KCBS Judge, you are not judging by what you like but to the standards defined by KCBS."

Where in the KCBS standards does it state that the skin on a chicken entry must be bite through?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post

"Remember, as a KCBS Judge, you are not judging by what you like but to the standards defined by KCBS."

Where in the KCBS standards does it state that the skin on a chicken entry must be bite through?

are there any other items that you dont judge when it is put in the box?

Of course you should judge the skin. If it is in the box it gets judged.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : quarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleAcresBBQ View Post
Like you guys need any help!!!!
:) :) :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quarters69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post

John, I judge the same way you do and agree with you. I DO NOT judge down if chicken is not Bite through. BUT I have had my arse chewd from most on here about it. They think skin should be judged. I guess I'm a cooks judge and will continue to judge the way I have for years.

Oh Dawgphan by the way I don't judge greenery and most boxes have it. Some teams do a lot better job making it look good to. I judge meat. JMO, blast away, I've already heard it.