Driving from LA to Texas

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Any secret spots along the 10 freeway we need to stop?

I saw something on the news that California has closed off travel to Texas

Many roads to Texas are closed this time of the year. You can head a little north and get on around Texas. If your in a uhaul truck or trailer you can't get past New Mexico without getting shot.

I believe I still have a Texas passport.

Yeah, we'll pass a couple of those. What else is there to do along the way traveling with my daughter.

There's a big ole beef jerky place somewhere around Needles - the jerky really sucks, but they have great candy. Go figure.

Not secret, but there's a Cracker Barrel in Phoenix.

Yeah, we'll pass a couple of those. What else is there to do along the way traveling with my daughter.

Only reason to stop at Buc-ees is because they have the worlds cleanest bathrooms. Other than that they are 100,000 square feet of garbage you don't want or need unless you need a Texas shaped cutting board or a giant bag of trail mix.

Only reason to stop at Buc-ees is because they have the worlds cleanest bathrooms. Other than that they are 100,000 square feet of garbage you don't want or need unless you need a Texas shaped cutting board or a giant bag of trail mix.

Love the nuggets and the habenero pickled garlic cloves.

You've got to see "The Thing" about an hour past Tucson. Keep a look out for it, 'cause it's not well marked and you can easily drive by without noticing it.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
You've got to see "The Thing" about an hour past Tucson. Keep a look out for it, 'cause it's not well marked and you can easily drive by without noticing it.

Ha! nothing like seeing 100+ miles of signs for the Thing, bottom line don't waste your time, we went with the granddaughters, son and daughter, we went for free cause our son just returned from deployment, even for free it kind of sucked.

Ha! nothing like seeing 100+ miles of signs for the Thing, bottom line don't waste your time, we went with the granddaughters, son and daughter, we went for free cause our son just returned from deployment, even for free it kind of sucked.

What? A waste of time? I've been to see The Thing many a time and NEVER have I thought it a waste of time. It is a fabulous example of true Americana of which there are few to be found of this caliber. The history of The Thing extends many decades and it is an institution. I remember visiting when I was just a wee lad and admission was a dime, a veritable fortune in those days. Oh the wonders we saw and such entertainment to keep us occupied for the better part of the afternoon. But, alas, Bisbee was calling and we had to be on our way. I know I was teary-eyed as I waved goodbye. I have plans for a roadtrip to bring my own daughters to visit, and am even thinking of a special vacation just to see it. You may mock The Thing, but I suspect you're not accustomed to such finery. Perhaps you are getting it confused with one of the other sites along the road, McDonald's for instance. I suppose you didn't like Wall Drug either. :tsk:

Wall Drug is only 500 miles of signs. :razz: What's the name of the "Authentic" Indian store along I-40 in NM? Couple hundred miles of signs for that as well.

Wall Drug is only 500 miles of signs. :razz:

It's actually more than that. I took a picture of this sign in Amsterdam almost 25 years ago. It was on the very same roll of film that we used at Wall Drug. That was quite the roadtrip.

wall%20sign.jpg

Ha! last time I was at the Thing it was about 105 inside and the dust was so think you could hardly read the descriptions... I can actually see the Thing/Bowlings parking lot lights from my house at night about 8 miles as the crow flies. Below is WikipediA explanation of the Thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_(roadside_attraction)

Best part about the Thing is the Dairy Queen and Texas Canyon just up the road. I would recommend anyone passing through put aside a couple of hours and visit the Amerind Foundation.

http://www.amerind.org/

Back