Smoke or grill pork chops!??!

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My Costco has been selling big, amazing, bone-in pork chops. I picked up a huge pack of 1 inch chops with bone, about 8 of them in there.

Last week I grilled them and they were awesome (see pic). I just topped them with salt and pepper. Very juicy and the pork flavor really came through.

However, I'm pondering putting them on the smoker then adding a spicy chipotle/honey glaze at the end.

Any thoughts on smoking pork chops? How long you think a 1 incher would take?

John

Attachments

• porkchop1.jpg
    porkchop1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 155
Lots of folks brine them, haven't done it myself but it's on the list.. .
Wonder how well these would hold up to the t-rex method...

I do them indirect on the Weber at 275+ and reverse sear average time 30 min

Yup I brine then grill and if I want smoke I add a chunk of wood to the grill.

Yeah I've used Alton Brown's brine. It's great. But if you cook them right they can be juicy without a brine.

I was watching a TV show on "state fair food" and the fair in Texas had a booth that sold bone in smoked pork chops. Looks like the chops were smoked for a couple of hours at low smoking temp. Then brushed with BBQ sauce. Looked AMAZING!

I don't just brine them, I cure them! Forty-eight hours in the wet brine/cure and then I smoke. Ham chops! If you like ham, you'll like these bunches. My last were almost 2 inches thick and I should have injected them. At 1 inch you shouldn't have any problem.

If you don't like ham, don't add the cure and minimize the sugar, but still brine them for moisture retention. Adding a bit of Amesphos to the brine helps with moisture retention as well. It really just depends on how much of a flavor hit you are looking for.

Man, been meaning to try thick chops for a while now ! I know that many on this board prefer to reverse sear but I don't. I prefer to sear the hell out of steaks/burgers then finish them in the main chamber by smoking. You get a great char and smoky flavor. Easier to control finished temp as well. Thanks for the inspiration, I'll have to look for these !

the last one I did I did them like most are doing the kettle fried chicken. They were stellar...

Back