Dirty Dick shares his secrets.

B

BrooklynQ

[size=+1]GOTTA GRILL: Dirty Dick goes for the gold as he competes to be the Master[/size]

life01.jpg

From left, Rick Westhaver, 11, Jean Brown and Richard Westhaver compete together as part of “Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders,” a team of family and friends going to the barbecue equivalent of the Olympics. (JEFF LOUGHLIN/The Patriot Ledger) By LINDSAY TAUB
The Patriot Ledger

By day, Richard Westhaver of Norwell is a plant man, with his own interior landscaping company, Mister Green Jeans. By night, he’s a barbecue chef extraordinaire, who has won more than 15 state championships since 1991 - including top honors in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Maine, and as the reserve grand champion (second place) in New York. This weekend he’s taking his talents all the way to the barbecue equivalent of the Olympics: The Jack Daniel’s International Invitational Barbecue.

With a long line of food fanatics in his family - his parents owned and ran Rogers Restaurant in Boston and the Charcoal House in Foxboro, and his brother, Roger, is a chef for Bare Cove Gourmet, a high-end catering service in Hingham - cooking became Westhaver’s hobby.

In 1989, after attending a barbecue festival in Memphis, Westhaver took his hobby up a notch.

He started building grills (he now has 12 in his back yard). He built a smoker, started trying different types of wood to infuse their flavors into his meats, and built a 120-gallon stainless steel tank that he now takes with him on the road as his grill pit at various barbecue competitions.

Westhaver, 50, who has a degree in machinery from Quincy Vocational Technical School, transformed a 1950s-era Zarex coffee drum that he found at a stainless steel junkyard on Cape

Cod into the enormous grilling contraption it is now, with the help of a welder.

The process took about three years, and in the meantime, Westhaver experimented with various spices for rubs, tested cooking times and temperatures for ultimate tenderness, and tried new sauce recipes, all on a tiny Mecco water smoker and Weber grill, to find the perfect marriage between the elements that make him one the country’s best, if relatively unknown, barbecue phenoms.

This week, Westhaver and his barbecue team - Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders - along with hundreds of other grilling gurus, will converge on the tiny town of Lynchburg, Tenn.

With a population of just 361, the town will be transformed into a grilling haven composed of 51 award-winning barbecue teams from across the country and international teams from Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Germany, Puerto Rico, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovenia, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

There, Dirty Dick and the Legless Wonders will be one of three teams from the Boston area - including I Que of Hopkinton and I Smell Smoke!!! of Salem - to compete in the Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue on Saturday.

Winners of ‘‘The Jack,’’ recognized worldwide as the end-all, be-all barbecue event, where the best of the best compete, swagger home with the coveted title of Grand Champion, are dubbed ‘‘Master of the Grill,’’ and share more than $20,000 in cash and prizes.

This is the fifth time Westhaver will be competing in the exclusive event. Even with such a memorable team name - derived from Westhaver’s nickname ‘‘Dirty Dick’’ and his firefighter friends, who he joked, ‘‘partied so heavily that by midnight on Friday, they’d be swaying back and forth and I’d call them the ‘legless wonders’’’ - they will not be alone.

‘‘All the teams have quirky, silly names, like the Paddle Wheel Porkers and the Rib Doctors,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s part of the barbecue culture.’’

To even have the chance to be invited to ‘‘The Jack,’’ a U.S. team must have won a competition in which 50 or more teams participated, or a competition of 25 teams that has been designated a state championship.

But just winning does not guarantee an invitation - with the sheer number of competitions held around the country, most teams are selected via a lottery held at the Jack Daniel’s Visitors’ Center every September.

‘‘I’m going down there to win, and I think I’ve got a great chance this time,’’ he said. The team twice has won second and third place honors in the brisket and ribs category.

Teams will compete in eight categories: Ribs, Pork Shoulder, Beef Brisket, Whole Hog, Chicken, Dessert, Cook’s Choice and Jack Daniel’s Sauce.

Six judges will rate them on appearance, taste and tenderness on a scale from 1 to 9.

All entrants put at least six pieces of meat in a 9-inch by 9-inch styrofoam box, trying to make it look as good as possible, with the only garnish allowed being green leaf lettuce and parsley. Each team is assigned a random number to ensure identities are protected and the rest is up to the discretion of the judges’ taste buds.

Westhaver packed up his trailer last weekend with the tank, tools, meat, seasonings, sauces, wood and all. Some of his team members will be along for the two-day drive to Tennessee, others will meet them there.

The team includes Westhaver’s wife, Korene; their son, Richard Tyler, 11; his in-laws, Russell and Jean Brown of Stockbridge, Vt.; his niece, Nicole Duncan, 25; his friend George Noone, a licensed electrician from Quincy; and his friends, Christina and Andy Hudena, who own a horse farm in Paoli, Pa. The two couples met on St. Bart’s 20 years ago and still go on vacation together.

‘‘The key is the preparation,’’ Westhaver said. ‘‘We’ll take two weeks to get ready, prepare all the rubs and sauces, but the rest is all done in one night.’’

The week before, Westhaver gets the meat - the beef brisket is from a rancher in Montana - Montana Legends, at $20 per pound - and the rest is purchased at the wholesale market in Boston.

At noon the day before the contest, the meat is inspected to ensure it is fresh and unseasoned. After that, Westhaver and his team won’t rest. They’ll season the meat, set up the charcoal and wood chips (he uses a combination of apple, cherry and grape), and starting at 8 p.m., the meat will begin slowly cooking. For the next 18 hours, they will check the temperature every three hours to ensure it remains constant.

While he won’t give away all his secrets, you can get a little taste. Westhaver sells Dirty Dick’s Hot Pepper Sauce at Bo-Tes Imports and Market Place on Main Street in Norwell.

‘‘It’s not the sauce we use in the competition, but it’s how we pay to get us there,’’ he said.

How he does it

Here’s how Westhaver prepares meat for championship barbecue. He describes the process for brisket:

‘‘First, I rub it with oil, then heavily season the whole thing, upside, underneath, every crevice.

‘‘I’ll let it sit out two to three hours to warm up a bit and soak up the rub, then I’ll usually start cooking at 8 p.m. at 50 degrees. The cooker heats with smoke, that has all the wood flavors, and about every three hours or if it gets dry, I spray it with apple juice.

‘‘By 8 the next morning, it’s cooked for 12 hours, so I wrap it in a double layer of foil - you don’t want it too smoky. And then right around noon, when it starts to get tender, I put a fork in it, stab it from the top. If it slides off the fork, then you know it’s ready, if it sticks on the fork, it needs more time.

‘‘When it’s done, I let it rest for a bit, cut it, then paint sauce on whole brisket and each piece. And that’s it.’’

Dick’s tricks
Dirty Dick’s Barbecue Spice

6 tablespoons kosher salt
6 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon pepper
1½ tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon thyme
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin

Mix ingredients together thoroughly and sift through a strainer twice. Rub into meat and refrigerate overnight.

Dirty Dick’s Barbecue Sauce

4 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped fine
½ red bell pepper, diced
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
3 cups ketchup
½ cup molasses
2 tablespoons hot sauce
¼ cup grainy mustard
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons Dirty Dick’s Barbecue spice (see recipe above)
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in saucepan, and add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute until onions are soft. Add remaining ingredients and simmer one to two hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Dirty Dick’s Barbecued Ribs

2 slabs pork spare ribs
4 tablespoons Dirty Dick’s Barbecue Spice
2 cups Dirty Dick’s Barbecue Sauce

The night before serving, skin the ribs by removing the thin membrane on the bone side of the ribs.

Rub each side of ribs with one tablespoon barbecue spice. Wrap ribs and refrigerate.

Using a Weber grill, heat 50 briquets on one side of the grill. Once the coals are ready, throw on two handfuls of wood chips. Place cooking rack over the fire and put ribs on the opposite side of the fire. Cover with lid.

Adjust top and bottom vents on the grill to two-thirds open. Place a candy thermometer in the top vent to regulate temperature. The ideal temperature for cooking the ribs is 350 degrees.

After an hour, open the upper and lower vents to maintain the temperature. Turn the ribs at that time, and spray with apple juice.

After two hours, when the ribs are done, they will be flexible and the end of the bone will be exposed ½ inch or so.

Take ribs off grill and coat both sides with barbecue sauce, ½ cup per side. Then wrap ribs in aluminum foil and seal tight. Place in a draft-free spot for 30 minutes. Unwrap and apply more sauce if desired. Enjoy!

Recipes from Richard Westhaver of Norwell, a.k.a. barbecue champion ‘‘Dirty Dick.’’

‘‘I’ll let it sit out two to three hours to warm up a bit and soak up the rub, then I’ll usually start cooking at 8 p.m. at 50 degrees. The cooker heats with smoke, that has all the wood flavors, and about every three hours or if it gets dry, I spray it with apple juice.

geee ya think theres a typo in there? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

There has to be a missing digit there is all.

I thought it was interesting that he cooks his ribs at 350°, and only for two hours before resting for half an hour. Might have to try that.

Thanks for the story, Rob!

rookiedad said:
tarragon?!

From the Web:

"Tarragon, a member of the Composite tribe, closely allied to Wormwood, is a perennial herb cultivated for the use of its aromatic leaves in seasoning, salads, etc., and in the preparation of Tarragon vinegar.

It grows to a height of about 2 feet and has long, narrow leaves, which, unlike other members of its genus, are undivided. It blossoms in August, the small flowers, in round heads, being yellow mingled with black, and rarely fully open. The roots are long and fibrous, spreading by runners.

Tarragon is more common in Continental than in English cookery, and has long been cultivated in France for culinary purposes.

The name Tarragon is a corruption of the French Esdragon, derived from the Latin Dracunculus (a little dragon), which also serves as its specific name. It was sometimes called little Dragon Mugwort and in French has also the name Herbe au Dragon. To this, as to other Dragon herbs, was ascribed the faculty of curing the bites and stings of venomous beasts and of mad dogs. The name is practically the same in most countries. One of the legends told about the origin of Tarragon, which Gerard relates, though without supporting it, is that the seed of flax put into a radish root, or a sea onion, and set in the ground, will bring forth this herb."

oh sorry, i should have elaborated a little bit more. when i said "tarragon?!" i ment, what the heck is tarragon doing in a bbq rub. imho tarragon is an herb that you lead with, like on fish or that sauce you put on filet mignon. tarragon in the background of a larger group of spices or herbs in my experience always seems to throw it off. in fact it was tarragon that ray's mother made to look like basil in order to throw ray's wife's pasta sauce off with on an episode of "everybody loves raymond". also, in previous posts in the competition section i was warned against using spices that might be extreme or out of the relm of classic bbq. i have never heard of anyone using tarragon on bbq and never used it myself therefore i can't say its bad, it's just that to me tarragon tastes a little like licorice and i think that would stand out in a bunch of pork spices. o.k. now that i have said my bit on tarragon, i would be interested to hear others oppinions! thanks.
phil

Arlin_MacRae said:
From the Web:

"Tarragon, a member of the Composite tribe, closely allied to Wormwood, is a perennial herb cultivated for the use of its aromatic leaves in seasoning, salads, etc., and in the preparation of Tarragon vinegar.

It grows to a height of about 2 feet and has long, narrow leaves, which, unlike other members of its genus, are undivided. It blossoms in August, the small flowers, in round heads, being yellow mingled with black, and rarely fully open. The roots are long and fibrous, spreading by runners.

Tarragon is more common in Continental than in English cookery, and has long been cultivated in France for culinary purposes.

The name Tarragon is a corruption of the French Esdragon, derived from the Latin Dracunculus (a little dragon), which also serves as its specific name. It was sometimes called little Dragon Mugwort and in French has also the name Herbe au Dragon. To this, as to other Dragon herbs, was ascribed the faculty of curing the bites and stings of venomous beasts and of mad dogs. The name is practically the same in most countries. One of the legends told about the origin of Tarragon, which Gerard relates, though without supporting it, is that the seed of flax put into a radish root, or a sea onion, and set in the ground, will bring forth this herb."

Thanks Arlin:

Tarragon in reality: for most of us, a dried herb, with a very distintive liquriosh taste, which goes well with some dishes, including braised chicken, but in my mind, has no place in a barbecue rub. My 2 cents, only.:grin:

rookiedad said:
oh sorry, i should have elaborated a little bit more. when i said "tarragon?!" i ment, what the heck is tarragon doing in a bbq rub. imho tarragon is an herb that you lead with, like on fish or that sauce you put on filet mignon. tarragon in the background of a larger group of spices or herbs in my experience always seems to throw it off. in fact it was tarragon that ray's mother made to look like basil in order to throw ray's wife's pasta sauce off with on an episode of "everybody loves raymond". also, in previous posts in the competition section i was warned against using spices that might be extreme or out of the relm of classic bbq. i have never heard of anyone using tarragon on bbq and never used it myself therefore i can't say its bad, it's just that to me tarragon tastes a little like licorice and i think that would stand out in a bunch of pork spices. o.k. now that i have said my bit on tarragon, i would be interested to hear others oppinions! thanks.
phil

Are you saying that Dirty Dick is trying to mess up our Q? :biggrin:

Serously, I never thought about using tarragon either, I don't like licorice and I don't like coffee. Usually if something has any trace of coffee in it, I can taste it and it ruins the dish for me. But I love my mother's swedish meatballs and she uses coffee in the sauce!

So, I'll try his recipe. It may be really great.

thats true! it may be great. i also wanted to throw a thanks out to arlin for taking the time to get that info and posting it!
phil

rookiedad said:
throw ray's wife's pasta sauce off with on an episode of "everybody loves raymond".phil

Patricia Heaton... Yummy!!!

qman said:
Thanks Arlin:

Tarragon in reality: for most of us, a dried herb, with a very distintive liquriosh taste, which goes well with some dishes, including braised chicken, but in my mind, has no place in a barbecue rub. My 2 cents, only.:grin:

Fresh Tarragon is great over chicken than has been shallow fried off in butter, and then had Vermouth (Molly Prat) reduced over it, and then a little cream and black pepper mixed in a reduced a little.

I dont use it in Q though. A few Brits I know who make their own rubs use it (in it's dried form) when grilling if they are on a Mediterranean vibe, but I think the flavour always tastes 'out of place'.

CarbonToe said:
Fresh Tarragon is great over chicken than has been shallow fried off in butter, and then had Vermouth (Molly Prat) reduced over it, and then a little cream and black pepper mixed in a reduced a little.

I dont use it in Q though. A few Brits I know who make their own rubs use it (in it's dried form) when grilling if they are on a Mediterranean vibe, but I think the flavour always tastes 'out of place'.

Right on CT. Fresh Tarragon is a different animal than dried, and is delish with poultry of most persuasions. I dig your Vermouth-cream sauce, and will use it also with grilled chicken.[make sauce first, use reserved chicken fat/butter, reduce the wine, finish sauce, and hold while birdies grill.] I put fresh tarragon into the cavity of whole birds when roasting, along with garlic cloves and a lemon.
Lots of uses for fresh tarragon, my use of the dried is more limited.

I have tarragon for the sole purpose of Bernaise sauce or grilled chicken/fish. Tried it very early on in my BBQ days and it was wayyyy out of place. IMHO, its a very dominant lead in spice and the 1 tablespoon seems very heavy in the batch. But!... over the years, I have noticed that "unusual" stuff in very small amounts that give background "hints" work sometimes, but tarrogon is very unique.

Saying it WONT work in BBQ??, well, taste around. There are just so many unusual additives in rubs, that even tarragon can work in the proper quantities married to the proper sauces, and if somone can make it work, Dirty Dick is one of them.

Also, when a Newspaper asks, your pressed to give them something that will appeal to the masses. Not likly hes going to give out his primary/competition rubs and sauce, but some tried and true standby that regular people will enjoy, not just BBQ judges.

Phil, you got me to thinking with that last post. I tried dried tarragon in a couple of rub mixes long ago and was not happy, so I have been automatically rejecting it ever since. You are right though. If such luminaries as Dirty Dick and Mike Mills say it is in, maybe I have been too hasty.

My Dad always told me to keep my mouth shut, and my mind open.

I actually think Dirty Dick's Rub Recipe sounds intriguing, and I am willing to try it.
This is what I like about the Brethren--I am constantly getting challenged by you guys to learn and improve.
Thanks

Back