MSG Question

yelonutz

is one Smokin' Farker
I have read several threads about the use of MSG in rubs and sauces. I make my own rubs (most of the time) and don't add MSG. I would like to try a side by side comparison of my own rub with and without MSG but I have no idea how much to add. For six oz of rub would you add 1 tsp, 1 tbs, 1 oz or what. Any ideas out there?

NUTZ

No answers here Nutz, but would like a follow up to see the difference it makes, my wife is one of them that are allergic to it...

I worked in a restaurant once that used the stuff to flavor ground meets, and if I remember correctly it was like 1tbs per 10 pounds. This stuff is a dangerous and nasty chemical, it adds no real flavor to your rubs, but actually tricks your taste buds into thinking its something its not. It has to do with the way your tongue perceives amino acids, and makes meats taste "more like meat", whatever that means. This stuff was huge in the 60's when quality meat and spices where not available, in my opinion there is no place for the stuff in today's marketplace.

Back