Event for 175

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thought I would run this by all of you and see if you think my numbers are in check:wink:

I'm looking at doing pulled pork and brisket Fgure I will need at least 150lbs each, Beans (50lbs), Coleslaw(35lbs) and Potato salad(50lbs), buns(24pk/8), and paper plates/ silverware. They will take care of the drinks. This is for a organization that I belong to and will be attending the conference for the week. They want this for the family night BBQ.

I'm thinking at this point at charging $8 a head. ANy suggestions of thoughts on this or am I way off on the price and calculations? Thanks

Sounds way too cheap to me. Also, if I understand you right, you are going to end up with about 150 lbs cooked weight of meat for 175 people. That is .85 lbs each?

I must be misreading or you made a typo.

I aree with the guy who smells like smoke. That is way too cheap and you will definitely have a lot of food leftover. Sounds like a nice dinner though!

110# of pork shoulder and 95# of brisket should more than cover you, especially if the 175 number includes kids eating. I don't know about 50# in beans...we would use 6 - 117oz. cans in our recipe for this group. $8 is cheap, but if you're doing it for an organization you belong to then that's your call. That menu for us would be between around $12.

Even with the numbers above, you'll have plenty of leftovers...which I never have a problem getting rid of :grin:

Good luck...

2 meats and 3 sides would be almost twice that for us. If you fed everyone 3/4# of meat (a lot), you would still only need 131#'s of cooked meat.

110# of pork shoulder and 95# of brisket should more than cover you, especially if the 175 number includes kids eating. I don't know about 50# in beans...we would use 6 - 117oz. cans in our recipe for this group. $8 is cheap, but if you're doing it for an organization you belong to then that's your call. That menu for us would be between around $12.

Even with the numbers above, you'll have plenty of leftovers...which I never have a problem getting rid of :grin:

Good luck...

Thanks! I used the catering calculator for the numbers and I thought 50lbs of beans was a little to much, But before I put a bid together I wanted to make sure I was at least in the ball park.

It is cheap and normally not what I would charge either. Just trying to give them a discount since I belong to the group and like anyone else right now money is tight and I for one would rather eat my Q then the hotels boiled food they call Q:lol:

Any better way to figure your numbers. I figure you can feed 10-12 people on a 8lb butt and 8-10 on a 12lb brisket, does that sound right?

Do they expect you to serve the food or simply cook it?

You might simply want to tell them that you'll do it for cost + modest profit.

What would a local catering company charge?

I would do about 5-6 oz servings per meat which would give you around 3.4 servings per pound and around 110lbs off uncoked butts for about 60lbs cooked. The Brisket would be around 100lbs uncooked for around 60 cooked. If you have alot of kids in the equation you could back off alttle or add 10% for a more adult crowd.Good luck

One way to save money and keep your costs down is to just cook the pork. Brisket cost quite a bit more around here than pork butt -- perhaps that is also the case where you are too. Worth thinking about.

175 people @ 1/4# of PP = 43.75 lbs of cooked meat x 2 (50% loss) = 87 1/2 lbs of pork.

Roughly same for brisket.

6 cans of beans serves everyone a 4 oz serving. (44 lbs)

Coleslaw and potato salad are probably fine.

This meal goes $14.50 normally but might go cheaper for an orginization i belong to.....
think of all the cards you'll hand out!
Whatever you do, use it as an advertising source....banner, cards, whatever you can do!

Good luck brother!

175 people @ 1/4# of PP = 43.75 lbs of cooked meat x 2 (50% loss) = 87 1/2 lbs of pork.

This meal goes $14.50 normally but might go cheaper for an orginization i belong to.....
think of all the cards you'll hand out!
Whatever you do, use it as an advertising source....banner, cards, whatever you can do!

Good luck brother!

Normally I would charge $12 a head fully catered and $10 for drop off.

Do they expect you to serve the food or simply cook it?

You might simply want to tell them that you'll do it for cost + modest profit.

What would a local catering company charge?

I'll cook it on site and then they will serve themselves. I'm going to try and have alot of it already prepared and food savored. I'm going to contact a friend of mine in the city we will be at and see if I can use his restaraunt cooler to keep my food.

We're their from Sunday to Friday and the BBQ will be on Thursday Night. I even thought of doing a pig on a La Caja China....

Normally I would charge $12 a head fully catered and $10 for drop off.

$12.95 PP for 2 meats and 2 sides.

$1.50 PP for an extra side.

If your not hard up for the money :roll:, do it for cost.

Like i said, your bound to get a few jobs out of it! :biggrin:

It's all about making sales (and it IS the holidays) :cool:

While I agree with Bubba's numbers if you are only serving one meat, I think you can cut it back to roughly 44 pounds of pork (uncooked with a 50% loss) and 37 pounds of brisket (uncooked with a 40% loss). This should give you about 44 pounds of cooked meat... Enough for 4 ounces of meat per person. I would normally kick up my numbers by 10% just to be on the safe side.

I think his other numbers are pretty good.

While I agree with Bubba's numbers if you are only serving one meat, I think you can cut it back to roughly 44 pounds of pork (uncooked with a 50% loss) and 37 pounds of brisket (uncooked with a 40% loss). This should give you about 44 pounds of cooked meat... Enough for 4 ounces of meat per person. I would normally kick up my numbers by 10% just to be on the safe side.

I think his other numbers are pretty good.

But that only gives you 2 oz of PP, can't even make a sandwich with that? :shock:

I like Bubba's numbers on this one, although I might add the 10%. I wold hate to run out of food. Be careful about buffetts, they can be a pain in portion control.
We catered a box hunt this weekend and their were maybe a dozen kids (14-17) who PILED the PP on BOTH sides of their bun and then came back for seconds. Had they not over estimated their numbers, I would have been hurting. I darn near came unglued when I saw these little chits not only take that much, but made sure they were first in line and coming back for seconds before others even went through once.

I'd go with the 87 lb of uncooked pork and 72 lb of brisket to deliver 4 Oz / meat / portion or 43.5 lbs of each cooked meat, but this is only going to work if you maintain portion control, better to have them serve their sides and you or a designated person serve the meat portions.

5 or more #10 cans of beans and 35 lbs of potato and slaw would put you in the ball park.

This is still working out 8 Oz of meat and 12 Oz of sides for 175.

Pork $464.28 buy at $1.27 / lb case price Sam's club
Brisket $557.14 buy at $1.80 / lb "
Slaw $112.01
Potato $102.68
Beans $98.71

Total $1334.72 or $7.63 / person for 300% profit so at $8.00 your in the right zone depending on what things sell for in your area, and what price you can buy for?

As for price, hell, I don't know but I think I can help a little with the amounts of food.

I recently cooked for 100 adults. I smoked 6-13 lb briskets and 6-8 lb butts along with 12 slabs of spares. I also baked 2 full pans of baked beans.

I had 3 briskets left, 3 butts and 1 full pan of beans.

I didn't complain. I have a lot of good stuff in MY freezer for chili and sammies. I tossed the beans.

Live and learn.

-Gup

Back