MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #46
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaes47 View Post
Benny

I don't believe Troy travels with the motorhome anymore... He sold it...
Ya, they move the gear in a box truck now and Troy flys in.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #47
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicPatrick View Post
Once again no local qualifier in geographic New England. Our closest local is out on long Island. Very disappointing.

This is America and we vote with our dollars.
Could be worse. They cancelled Pittsburgh, not Medford. I did the Pittsburgh drive in 2011, and Medford is much better for NEBS teams. Catch the ferry at New London and it's not so bad. (Yes, you can take an RV and trailer.)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #48
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Agreed, but doubt KCBS is telling Sam's Club who is putting up $500k where there comps are going to be to an extent other than denying their sanctioning.
Sam's determines the locations. Per Troy, it's mainly based on store performance, as hosting the contest is a reward for high performing clubs.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #49
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestar View Post
Region 2 coming out of KC would be a tough few weeks...local Sam's Club, American Royal, Sam's Regional and then Sam's Final.
That's the run I'm shooting for.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #50
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Thank you SAMs club for the event in Renton...

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
Big Poppa
is One Chatty Farker

I believe that Sam's and Wal mart know about demographics....

I also thank them for the opportunity that didnt exist before....

I understand as a promoter of a limited field contest that you will upset many people some who weren't planning on competing anyways....there are 25 contests at the beginning and 50 states....you cant please everybody. I have a hard time with the irate responses..Im glad they dont read these forums.

I think the reason why Southern California was left out is because many of the teams including ours just used it as a KCBS contest with no plans to advance even if we did (and we qualified and bailed)....Albuquerque was a bad weekend for us....Queen Mary contest in long beach and fell on mothers day and two of our team mates have kids under the age of two...
The year before they ended up in sacramento having to go down to the 13th place finisher to make it work. I think California brought the no contest here on ourselves.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #52
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker

Quick question as I have never cooked a Sams competition. You register and pay for the first comp in the local, if you cook well enough and get lucky you get to move onto the regional...is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
Quick question as I have never cooked a Sams competition. You register and pay for the first comp in the local, if you cook well enough and get lucky you get to move onto the regional...is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?
$250 for each.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Yes and another entry fee if you qualify for the national. I think they give you 48 hours to pay. Someone will correct me if I wrong about the timing.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #55
azwildcat
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
I happen to be arriving in Tucson that weekend if you need a hand. I would be happy to come out and do what ever.
Sure Scottie, if you wanna cook the 4 meats i'll do everything else!
azwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #56
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
I believe that Sam's and Wal mart know about demographics....

I also thank them for the opportunity that didnt exist before....

I understand as a promoter of a limited field contest that you will upset many people some who weren't planning on competing anyways....there are 25 contests at the beginning and 50 states....you cant please everybody. I have a hard time with the irate responses..Im glad they dont read these forums.

I think the reason why Southern California was left out is because many of the teams including ours just used it as a KCBS contest with no plans to advance even if we did (and we qualified and bailed)....Albuquerque was a bad weekend for us....Queen Mary contest in long beach and fell on mothers day and two of our team mates have kids under the age of two...
The year before they ended up in sacramento having to go down to the 13th place finisher to make it work. I think California brought the no contest here on ourselves.
The only thing I'd disagree with is Sam's reading these forums. I can guarantee, even without being told, that their IT department is aware of what is said about them. They have more than ample resources, and to not do so would be foolish. Wal-Mart/Sam's does strike me as being foolish very often when it comes to business.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

ill be online on the 9th waiting to sign up for medford!
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #58
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
is there another entry fee for the regional round and so on?
As others have mentioned, you have to pay for each round, but the payout structure last year guarenteed that you won at least enough money to pay for it if you moved on. This did not help those who qualified but were not top 6, etc. Not that any one asked me, but I'd rather regionals and national be free entry and reduce the overall payouts by $250 in each spot. Helps ensure that teams don't take the "move on" money and run.

As for the WalMart marketing team and this forum, I know for a fact that they know about it. I told them.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #59
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Let me be the first to welcome any Brethren planning on making the trip to Region 4-Renton, Washington!

Here is a little glimpse of what we're in store for!

I like Sterlings analysis of why there are no California events this year and wonder to myself (and some PNWBA cooks) that will support the event, but do not advance to Las Vegas.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 12-29-2012 at 01:49 PM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

Looks like we are leaving Alabama to compete in Lexington either way I was looking at a 300 mile drive one way
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Sam's Club