• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for a dry rub

marcusroy

Reaction score
Guys,

Just wondering if someone would be willing to share one of their concoctions for a dry rub, or possibly know of pre made ones for the particular taste I'm looking for. I would like to hit all four taste palettes. Looking for something sweet, savory, salty, and spicy. A little more towards the salty and spicy side.

I'm guessing that it is Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic.

Seems logical. I've been playing around with mixtures of salt, cayenne, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, black pepper, onion, and garlic. Just haven't really achieved the results I'm looking for.

Do a search here for "Chris Lilly rub" or "patio daddio rub" they're both pretty simple and effective.

I also like Chris's rub but i also use Bad Byrons Butt Rub and my family seems to like it .

People like this one of mine.

For one rack of spares-

2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
OR
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbs brown sugar
1/4 tbs kosher salt

Last edited:
Seems logical. I've been playing around with mixtures of salt, cayenne, brown sugar, paprika, cumin, black pepper, onion, and garlic. Just haven't really achieved the results I'm looking for.

Replace the brown sugar with Turbinado (sugar in the raw). molasis in the brown will make your rub clumpy.

I am no BBQ Pitmaster, but I found this in a BBQ cook book. I have used it with great results on Pork Shoulders, and chicken.
4 Tsp of Seasoned Salt
2 Tsp Dark Brown Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 Tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Dry Mustard
1/8 tsp Ground Cumin
Pinch of Ground Ginger

I found that it doesn't make enough so multiply everything by 4 for pork shoulders.

I really like Williams Rib Tickler. That does the trick for me.
Spicy and a little sweet-Emrils Rib Rub fits that description IMO

Blake Simmons

Mad hunky all purpose! Sweet, spicy, savory, a little salty

You could also do a search on here (located at the bottom of the page) and you'll find at least a couple......................hundred options, lol. Lot's of info sharing from this fine group.

Guys,

Thank you so much for the input. I am very new to this site. This was actually my first post. I wasn't too sure how to navigate the site, so thank you to all for the guidance. I will definitely try every rub suggested! I thought this would also be a good way to meet some of the Brethren. I'm amazed at the plethora of information everyone contributes to the site. I always thought I made good Bar B Que until my buddy who is also a member turned me onto the site and introduced me to the world of smoking. It's amazing how the littlest of things can make the biggest difference!

Here's one of my favorites. Been putting this on everything lately. I like it a little spicier, so I add chili powder, cayenne powder and red peppers.

5 Tsp. Kosher or Sea salt
2 Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Tsp. White Pepper
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
3 Tsp. Granulated Garlic
* To add more heat, add 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper flakes

Back