MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David
Default Seasoning Cast Iron with Flax Seed Oil

Saw this on another thread and wanted to pile on w/o threadjacking the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
IMO Flax is totally over rated. People were seasoning cast iron for many many years before they even knew what flax was. I don't think flax is as durable as other fats. I like lard. Vegetable oil works, but the reason people use cooking spray, is the ease of application, and it works. No need to complicate things. I am curious why he said not to go above 250 though. I would think you would want to get it hot, to burn off any debris and manufacturing oils.
I have seasoned and cooked with cast iron for over 20 years. All my stuff is (was) perfect. Last year, I started reading about the flax seed oil method. It sounded good and the pans looked fantastic in the pictures. I read Cheryl Canto and Cooks Illustrated's write ups on the process. I took two of my Griswolds and ran them through a self cleaning oven and cleaned them up further with steel wool. I spent $10 on an 8oz bottle of organic FSO and followed the Cooks Illustrated directions to the letter. I gave each skillet 10 coats over two weeks. When I was done, they were absolutely gorgeous. These skillets belonged in a magazine.

However, the first time I cooked with one of them I made a pasta sauce (not tomato based) with olive oil, garlic, and some butter. Towards the end, I added a splash (~1oz) of white wine. The seasoning dissolved almost instantly. The skillet looked awful.

Later I cooked with the other one. I made sunny side eggs in butter. When I washed the skillet, the seasoning wore down on this one as well.

Now both look like crud and I am trying to reseason with oil, PAM, and lard. Unless their directions were off or I can't read, the FSO method is cr@p.

I am back to oil and PAM only on my cast iron.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Same experience. Flaxseed oil is a waste of time. I found plain 'ol lard works quite well and does not flake off, etc like flaxseed does. Yes, I followed the directions exactly when I tried the flaxseed method.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I would put them in a lye bath, to remove everything, then start over from scratch. My problem with vegetable oil, is it can leave a sticky residue, that you won't get with lard.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #4
ncmoose
is one Smokin' Farker

I found flaking to be an issue with flax seed oil and am back to crisco
ncmoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
robert-r
is One Chatty Farker

Lard works for me. Canola oil (spray Pam) not so much.... sticky residue.

Thin coat of lard... put CI in oven as it heats up (500* for an hour or so)... let it cool in the oven. Takes 5 times (or more) to do. Win.

However, won't take full raging fire/heat over coals.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree that using lard and crisco were easier methods of seasoning.

I do have one lodge dutch oven that I seasoned with flaxseed oil that had held up until I used it to make chili.

Although I haven't seen the article you speak about in Cook's Illustrated, but I have friends who tried to season with flaxseed oil and I have had to help them redo the seasoning with lard.

Flaxseed oil has a low smoke point of 225°. When we season cast iron, we take the cast iron to the smoke point of the fat being used. This causes a molecular change in the fat and it actually becomes a polymer coating closing the porous surface of the cast iron. The polymer coating is like a plasticized coating that prevents food from sticking by keeping the surface sealed. Why the flaxseed seasoning doesn't last, I have no idea.

I re-seasoned my dutch oven using grape seed oil, has an extremely high smoke point, and I still have the seasoning intact years after it was seasoned. But again, grape seed oil isn't for everyone. In fact I had to use my grill to get the indirect temperature of the cast iron above 425° to exceed the smoke point of the grape seed oil.

If you have a seasoned pan, let it be, it probably has many years of love and care and the seasoning is probably the best you will ever have.

I never strip the seasoning unless I buy a used pan at a flea market / yard sale, only because I do not know what it has come in contact with.
IamMadMan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 AM   #7
16Adams

Fried bacon five days in a row recently. Allowed skillet to cool without draining each time and placed in bottom of refrigerator. Each morning, heat, pour off excess-fry bacon sausage etc- repeat. Last day drained hot, wiped down and cooled a bit. Then added water and brought to a boil. Scraped with a spatula. Drained wiped down and applied a light coating of bacon grease. Beautiful and smooth.

I’ve used quite a few oils and quite a few methods.

Cook bacon, frequently

Back in the old days, that last day would’ve made great gravy- all those little crispy bits ;/))

Last edited by 16Adams; 09-10-2018 at 08:23 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
scp
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Barry

I am in the lard camp as well. Tried flax...but seemed kinda tacky.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:08 AM   #9
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Call me lazy or whatever, I just season it with 1 layer of EVOO and call it good. After each use, I scrub it out with a brillo pad and salt then rinse with water water and dry. Next time I use it, I just pour a little EVOO and swirl it around.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
TXNewbie
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Someone

I've had GREAT experience using flax seed oil on cast iron. The key though is to rub on a VERY LIGHT coat, then wipe it off so it appears there is nothing there.

If it flakes or anything like that, it typically means it may be an application issues. Also, if it is sticky, then you defiantly put on too much.
TXNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #11
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNewbie View Post
I've had GREAT experience using flax seed oil on cast iron. The key though is to rub on a VERY LIGHT coat, then wipe it off so it appears there is nothing there.

If it flakes or anything like that, it typically means it may be an application issues. Also, if it is sticky, then you defiantly put on too much.
I did 10 ultra-thin coats and baked them dry each time. The skillets looked perfect, but did not stay that way.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I used the flax seed method, but I went to a higher temp. Used the gasser on medium, was probably 450 or so.
On my griddle that I only use for sandwiches and pancakes, the coating is beautiful and is very slick. Nothing sticks to it.
But, last week, I put a pound of bacon in my 9", put it on the gasser, and let it cook while I was smo-grilling burgers. When I cleaned it, I noticed that the bottom was showing rust. Sure enough, ALL of the seasoning was gone. The pan did not get all that hot.
I hate to use something else, because the pans are absolutely gorgeous like the OP said.. You can almost see your reflection in them! But if the coating is not going to bond to the iron, its not really any good.
I guess I will try something else. I had always used shortening before.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #13
LYU370

I remember running across a blog or maybe a forum about really old cast iron. People selling would season with flax seed oil becaise it makes it look perfect. People that wanted to actually cook on the pans would never buy one that was seasoned with flax. Flax is only for show.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I'm an animal fat guy. I think it seasons the best, and gives the most effective non-stick when cooking.

The common complaint I hear about flax seed oil is the flaking & chipping. I don't tend to see that on a traditionally seasoned iron pans. The flax just gives you a carbonized layer that sits on top. I want the whole pan seasoned...open up the pores and let it soak.

I'm also a oven stripper (sounds kinda kinky doesn't it?). I use the self-cleaning cycle to strip pans...this is something I do to every new (old) pan I bring home. I don't know what someone else has put in that pan over the years & I want it gone. The oven cleans everything off, and at about 1,500 degrees I would imagine it sanitizes fairly well too! They come out as if they had just been cast. I take advantage of the residual heat, and when the oven unlocks I immediately season with something like lard. Drop a spoonfull in the pan, let it melt, soak it up with a cloth, and wipe the rest of the pan inside & out...all while it is still screaming hot from the oven. I let it cool and then run a simple seasoning cycle on the stovetop (ie. screaming hot, throw in some lard, swirl it around, let it cool). And that's pretty much my entire seasoning process.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Smoking Piney
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I prefer lard or Crisco in a pinch.

Assassin 24
XL BGE
Weber Kettle with rotisserie and Vortex
Ooni 3 Pizza Oven
AMNPS
Smoking Piney is offline   Reply With Quote