MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.
Default Love my Stumps

My Stumps held 250 on the button for my entire 3.5 hour rib cook, and I’m certain it would’ve stayed that way all day long. No pit controller, only the ball valve. These are excellent smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Nice!!!! How long did it take to get your cooker up to temp and stabilized before it was humming along unmanned?
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2018, 12:08 AM   #3
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Love my Stumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Nice!!!! How long did it take to get your cooker up to temp and stabilized before it was humming along unmanned?

About 30-40 minutes from when I first lit the charcoal. I put the ribs on after an hour.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #4
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Those are some fine bonz.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
fwdiii
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Great looking ribs!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #6
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
About 30-40 minutes from when I first lit the charcoal. I put the ribs on after an hour.

What type charcoal? I have a Stretch that I bought used/like new that we use in competitions with a controller and briquets. When I first got it, I tried with lump charcoal and dumped a lit chimney down the chute then filled with lump. Never got above 180. Called the factory and got a less than warm welcome. After a cussing tirade about how that was the wrong way to do it and whoever had suggested that technique needed their a$$ whipped(I had seen it one a few youtube videos) it was suggested that I use a Map gas torch. So bought one and tried it again with lump and the temp came up to 200 and held it for about 18 hours when it finally started to creep up and hit 225. Never could get it any higher. Finally burned out at about 22 hours. That was with ball valve wide open and and exhaust wide open. Certainly wasn't going to call the factory again because the first call wasn't so cheery and figured one cussing was enough from they guy. I guess because I didn't buy new from them, they didn't figure customer service was needed or all that important. Had temp controller go down once while loaded with meat, and trying get to 350 for a hot and fast cook. Once meat was on, never got past 225. Finally got a replacement probe and finished cook at 400.

I'm glad it works for you.

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 08-19-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
kathicooks
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kathi

I love my Stumps too. I will admit that I use a controller all the time but there are days when I know I don’t really need to.
Robert, that’s a shame. I have never had anything but great customer service but I bought mine from them. Maybe just a bad day? I use all brands of lump.
Any chance the prior owner modified it? I don’t know why it won’t burn hotter. With an open ball valve and exhaust it should be chugging along.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
hurricanedavid
is one Smokin' Farker

My Stumps Baby XL is near the end of a continuous two day cook that includes 4 Butts, 2 briskets, a 2x batch of Wampus Beans, and 9 racks of baby back ribs.

The meal will be served this afternoon.

I also love my Stumps

Old 08-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathicooks View Post
I love my Stumps too. I will admit that I use a controller all the time but there are days when I know I don’t really need to.
Robert, that’s a shame. I have never had anything but great customer service but I bought mine from them. Maybe just a bad day? I use all brands of lump.
Any chance the prior owner modified it? I don’t know why it won’t burn hotter. With an open ball valve and exhaust it should be chugging along.
I like the way it cooks with temp controller. Just a head scratcher on the reason it won't cook at a higher temp manually. I really only use it for comps though as I have other cookers for doing volume work. Plus the way it is positioned in my comp trailer, I have to move a bunch of stuff out of the way to even open the access door, so not really convenient unless set up at a comp.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #10
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
What type charcoal? I have a Stretch that I bought used/like new that we use in competitions with a controller and briquets. When I first got it, I tried with lump charcoal and dumped a lit chimney down the chute then filled with lump. Never got above 180. Called the factory and got a less than warm welcome. After a cussing tirade about how that was the wrong way to do it and whoever had suggested that technique needed their a$$ whipped(I had seen it one a few youtube videos) it was suggested that I use a Map gas torch. So bought one and tried it again with lump and the temp came up to 200 and held it for about 18 hours when it finally started to creep up and hit 225. Never could get it any higher. Finally burned out at about 22 hours. That was with ball valve wide open and and exhaust wide open. Certainly wasn't going to call the factory again because the first call wasn't so cheery and figured one cussing was enough from they guy. I guess because I didn't buy new from them, they didn't figure customer service was needed or all that important. Had temp controller go down once while loaded with meat, and trying get to 350 for a hot and fast cook. Once meat was on, never got past 225. Finally got a replacement probe and finished cook at 400.

I'm glad it works for you.

Robert

Any charcoal works fine, yesterday I was using lump. One thing that needs to be done, is to make sure you’ve got a good fire going before you start shutting doors. I’ll leave my firebox door wide open until it gets to 225, then I’ll close the door and start adjusting the ball valve. That’s how I get it up to 250-275. If I wanted to go hotter, I’d leave the firebox door open longer. Works every time. Damp charcoal or charcoal that has been held in very high humidity for an extended period of time can also cause lack of temp problems. And definitely don’t pour a chimney starter with hot coals down the chute, always light from the bottom. I’m sorry that you had such a poor experience with your Stretch.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
slackdogbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Don’t build no junk!
slackdogbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #12
cmcald0
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Matt

I just commented on your previous post and asked some questions about the brisket you made a week or two ago. It was the best looking brisket from a gravity fed I've ever seen. I see you have, or have had, several different smokers. How do you compare the food off your stumps to the others. How is the smoke flavor, color, and bark? Thanks.
cmcald0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Fine looking ribs NYC'Que. My Baby Stumps runs like a fine tuned watch also, Love It!

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

I love my Jr I had from years back and should of never sold it , great smoker ,.
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #15
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcald0 View Post
I just commented on your previous post and asked some questions about the brisket you made a week or two ago. It was the best looking brisket from a gravity fed I've ever seen. I see you have, or have had, several different smokers. How do you compare the food off your stumps to the others. How is the smoke flavor, color, and bark? Thanks.

I replied to your questions in the other thread. The Stumps makes the best smoked food of all my cookers. I can post as many pics as you like of previous cooks on the Stumps so you can see the consistently great product it produces.
For fun I used my WSM a few weeks ago. First time in over a year since getting the Stumps. Never again.