• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Example of Bad Customer Service

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So my Large Egg's ceramic fire grate broke. Bad design IMNSHO, but that's a different thread. I decided to shop for a replacement cast iron grate today and talked to a local place called The Hearth and Grill Shopwho had some on order but none in stock. I decided to stop by on my way home since it was just up the street from another stop I had to make, and when I walked in, I noticed that they had five Large BGEs on the floor, all of them with cast iron grates. A sales guy came up, I explained my plite and offerred to buy a grate from him right then, which he could replace when the order came in. He said that "they don't do that," so I asked to talk to a manager and make the offer to him. He gave me the same answer, that he never cannibalizes parts from a complete grill, and said I should come back later this week because they should have 12 in by Friday.

I asked him if he really expected to sell five large BGEs before Friday, and to that he said "I hope so!" He repeated that he never parts out complete units because some one could buy it and he won't be able to sell it, so I told him if he didn't sell me a grate, I'd make sure to buy it some where else. He held firm.

Now I understand his point of view: His profit margin on a new BGE is much, much higher than a single fire grate, and he doesn't want to prevent himself from selling the high margin item. If he only had one or two in stock, I may not have even asked, but having five of them, I think it's...less than great service to treat me that way. If he doesn't sell that fifth Egg before Friday, he'll have lost the sale on the grate for nothing, but also probably have last me as a customer. Considering that my father is interested in a Performer, which they sell, and my FIL is interested in a pellet heater, which they sell, some times showing a little bit of service goes longer than the margin at hand. Just wanted to spread the word that these guys, while neither rude nor mean, don't have the customer service touch that some might expect, especially for an expensive, luxury line like BGE.

dmp

I don't have any knowledge of the ceramic Fire Grate but on the Cast Iron one, mine was replaced without question when it cracked almost 1/2 way through (took about 2 years until I asked for a replacement). I think it depends on the store, some of them just do not get customer service. It is rampant around here, people just cannot think outside the box.

BGE Corp has been the BEST company I have dealt with in a long time!!!

It burns my arse that they (local Dealers) do not understand that if take care of a customer they will come back and tell others about the great service they got from the store. You just cannot tell me that they are doing so well they do not care, corporate America needs to take care or their customers if they want to survive.

Now the bottom line is, you were just wrong, they will sell all 5 of those by Thursday and you were asking them to lose sales, bad you! :twisted::twisted::twisted::wink:

Good customer service for them also could of looked like this: Manager could of asked you to sit down for a minute while he called BGE corporate and asked their customer service to help you out. He prob has a dealer channel rep that is there to assist dealers and reps usually want to do the right thing. I do understand his reluctance, but 5 eggs really does give a buffer. Unless he was concerned that his 12 were not coming in on Friday. Seems a little odd that a dealer would wait for his inventory to go to zero without having ordered extra before that point. Perhaps all the parts of the story they shared with you were not all there was to share.

I've done my time in retail..... and by and large we would pull a part off of something to give to a customer, most of the time for free because something broke that shouldn't have.... but a few factors play into it:

A) Did the customer buy the original product with us? Is it a warranty issue? (It isn't as though you were asking for something for free)
B) How difficult will it be to get the replacement? (no real problem, from what it sounds like)
C) Is the replacement part going to be different from the original? Are they going to have 4 identical eggs and one odd ball that is going to be harder to sell because of the replacement grate?

As expensive as eggs are, I can't believe they would sell them all. I'm with you. Sounds like bad CS.

The guy I worked for on my first job always used to say "Don't let the dime hide the dollar"
which goes right along with the BGE dealer not selling a grate to not break up the set.

That kind of customer service might explain why he still has 5 BGEs in stock at one time.

Back