• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got My FIRST comment card !

Podge

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Madison this weekend I got my first comment card about my chicken. It was very helpful, great comments, and it confirmed what I had thought about the chicken when I turned it in. It's the kind of comment a fellow could use and improve upon.

I've seen and heard about some seriously crazy comment cards, and I feel pretty fortunate to get a good constructive one !.. I hope KCBS keeps this up. We all know how to spot a BS card, but at times like this, I appreciate the card.. So, whoever the judge was out there that took the time to write it, thanks !:becky:

It tasted like brisket? :boxing:

I'm real glad the board instituted the comment card system. I wish they'd make them mandatory - and set aside some time in each round for the judges to write them up.

Glad you got a good one Podge, sounds like it was helpful.

I got one a couple of weeks ago on brisket. Got all 9s in appearance except for one 6. Comment for the 6 was "I didn't like the look of the glaze, I prefer the look of Texas style brisket." WTH?

I got one at my first KCBS that said there was some fat left on the piece of pork. So at my next event this coming weekend you will be damn sure I'll be checking everything even closer.

i got my first comment card in madison as well. It wasn't quite as helpful. Haha.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I got one at the Royal invitational last year on pork...."I know your pork was good, but it was cold by the time it got to our table." OK?
The next day the pork placed 13th.....

Unfortunately, there's no instruction for judges on how to write comment cards. The Reps do a good job of trying to instruct on it, but they have very limited time. Thus, some will be valuable and some will be a bit less. As a judge I fully support them and have a personal rule of always providing one when I score a 6 or below and, sometimes, even on a 7 when a constructive comment might help a cook move up.

I'm a new judge (2 events) and a brand new team cook (first event this past weekend). In my opinion, a comment card should be mandatory for everything scored 6 and below.

For chicken, all my appearance scores were 9's.. the judge who wrote the comment card gave me 777. So, even for 7's, the comment card was nice to have. I'd shake this person's hand if I knew who it was.

Welcome to the wonderful world of personal opinions...:twisted: We too enjoy and value the constructive feed back that many judges provide...then there are those cards that make our comment card wall of fame. One of our favorites is..."there were a lot of burn't pieces in the pulled pork"...:rolleyes:

Glad you got a good one Podge, sounds like it was helpful.

I got one a couple of weeks ago on brisket. Got all 9s in appearance except for one 6. Comment for the 6 was "I didn't like the look of the glaze, I prefer the look of Texas style brisket." WTH?

Rub, was that in Franklin? There was brisket that came to the table that I passed out that had a "glaze" on it. If memory serves me right, a judge did pick up a comment card to fill out, and handed it it, but I did not read them, I just handed those in. You should make a copy of it, send it to KCBS, and have them explain to the judge, that they are NOT to use personal preferences on any judging but to score what was turned in..... it is taught that way in the judging class.

I'm a new judge (2 events) and a brand new team cook (first event this past weekend). In my opinion, a comment card should be mandatory for everything scored 6 and below.

At our table captain class, we were told that 6 is the standard (average) and does not require a comment card. Anything under that has the option. We were also told, we could suggest to the judge to fill one out, but they are NOT required to.

Rub, was that in Franklin? There was brisket that came to the table that I passed out that had a "glaze" on it. If memory serves me right, a judge did pick up a comment card to fill out, and handed it it, but I did not read them, I just handed those in. You should make a copy of it, send it to KCBS, and have them explain to the judge, that they are NOT to use personal preferences on any judging but to score what was turned in..... it is taught that way in the judging class.
It was actually the week before in Dillard. I won't be able to share it with KCBS because I kind of destroyed it after reading that bs :frusty:
Got all 9s in Franklin though. :thumb:

It was actually the week before in Dillard. I won't be able to share it with KCBS because I kind of destroyed it after reading that bs :frusty:
Got all 9s in Franklin though. :thumb:

glad to hear it wasn't my table.... I did have a GREAT bunch of judges... I was really pleased with their professionalism and how they did their job. I was really impressed and thanked them after it was all done. Wish you hadn't of kinda destroyed that card..... in my opinion, those need to go the the heads..... I feel that would help make things a little better if they would take the time to read them, and then pass that info to the reps and pass it on down the line.... let the judges know that we (the cook teams) do things right, no matter what they think....

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Back