Makin Bacon Question

bander7003

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at curing bacon. I got about 5#s of side bacon to cure. I followed a receipe that I found here that called for 1T of Mortons Tenderquick for every pound, as well as a few other spices. I rubbed the tenderquick and spice all over, put it in a large ziplock bag and put in the spare refrigerator for a week. I turned it every day. The directions said it would produce liquid over the week, but this did not. Not certain if I did something wrong. Any thoughts? :confused:

I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes it produces liquid, sometimes it doesn't. The slab should feel pretty firm.

I just cured 5lbs myself. I divided it in half and did half with tq and regular sugar and half with tq and brown sugar. Half produced a lot of liquid the other half very little liquid. Did a test fry last night before smoking and both tasted great so I say dont worry about it im sure it will turn out great

I wouldn't worry about it - sometimes it produces liquid, sometimes it doesn't. The slab should feel pretty firm.

^ +1 True... Sometimes it produces a little liquid and then reabsorbs it leaving it looking dry. The important thing is you used a proper cure at 1 Tablespoon per pound of meat. Also note that side bacon has a 1 to 1 meat to fat ratio which will produce less liquid than the belly.

Be sure to rinse the extra salt out so it isn't overly salty.

Back