MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Default NKC - Snake Saturday, North Kansas City, MO, March 14 & 15, 2008

Anyone here going to this or have went to this in the past.
I'm going and was wondering what your thoughts were on this contest.

See ya there.

Mod note: Here is a link to the event info...

http://www.northlandfestivals.com/bbqhome.html
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643

Last edited by Ron_L; 03-05-2008 at 07:48 AM..
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I have competed at NKC and been a spectator, it was always interesting with the parade, which brought out a lot of drunk people to wonder through your site. I heard they moved the contest site this year away from the parade.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 AM   #3
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Andy is cooking in the steak comp for Kookers Kare on Friday night. I'm sure we will see you.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I plan on being up there for the drinkfest on Saturday and I'll do a walk around when we get there. If anyone is cooking, let me know and I'll walk by with a very quick hello as it will be during crunch time.

But if you have any meat ready, I might want to grab a small bite as it's the anti-peta day thing and I won't be cooking since I'll be drinking my meals.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
Anyone here going to this or have went to this in the past.
I'm going and was wondering what your thoughts were on this contest.

See ya there.
We have done it in the past, and are doing it again this year. I enjoy it but like someone said you do get some drunks and just plain stupid people walking through your spot saturday.

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

Is anyone going that might need a spare hand on saturday? I'm thinkin' about going down and getting some ideas on doing my first comp.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
Que'inKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll probably be around there Saturday with the Fam...Might stop by and say hi..You'll know me because I'll be proudly sport'in my new Brethren hat!!!

WSM w/Mods
22" Weber Kettle - Gold
Country Smoker CS-450
KCBS Member #24405
CBJ #24405
[B]R Butts R Smokin Comp Team
[URL="http://www.rbuttsrsmokin.com"]www.rbuttsrsmokin.com[/URL]
[/B]
Que'inKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Is anyone going that might need a spare hand on saturday? I'm thinkin' about going down and getting some ideas on doing my first comp.

Feel free to stop by. I'd offer you to ride with but my truck it full.
CBJ #4643

Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

We'll be there for the 3rd year.
A couple of things to know when going in to this one...
It isn't the most organized event you'll compete in. There will be a lot of teams there (91 last year, 84 the year before), which only adds to the confusion. The staff is all volunteers and they do their best, but I think they are a little overwhelmed with all the teams there.
A few examples...
The first year we went we didn't find out until the cooks meeting that chicken turn-in was going to be at 12:30 instead of Noon. Not a big deal to us, but some people were upset as this set their whole time line back.
The final turn-in (maybe dessert?) was at 2 or 2:30 last year...awards didn't happen until after 5pm.
We have never gotten results at the contest. They post one copy of the overall results (imagine 90 teams crowded around two pieces of paper). They say they will post the results on thier website ASAP - one year it was Tuesday afternoon...and they don't put up a PDF of the sheet you would get from the reps - they just type out the finish in place order (don't show scoring).
There are probably other things that upset me the first time around, but I don't recall them now. Oh yeah - no electricity...bring a generator and don't plan to get a peacefull night's sleep with 100 of them running either.

The parade won't be an issue this year - so that's a major hassle out of the way.

If you know all the bad stuff going in, it doesn't seem so bad. Just prepare yourself and take it easy that weekend and you'll have fun.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
We'll be there for the 3rd year.
A couple of things to know when going in to this one...
It isn't the most organized event you'll compete in. There will be a lot of teams there (91 last year, 84 the year before), which only adds to the confusion. The staff is all volunteers and they do their best, but I think they are a little overwhelmed with all the teams there.
A few examples...
The first year we went we didn't find out until the cooks meeting that chicken turn-in was going to be at 12:30 instead of Noon. Not a big deal to us, but some people were upset as this set their whole time line back.
The final turn-in (maybe dessert?) was at 2 or 2:30 last year...awards didn't happen until after 5pm.
We have never gotten results at the contest. They post one copy of the overall results (imagine 90 teams crowded around two pieces of paper). They say they will post the results on thier website ASAP - one year it was Tuesday afternoon...and they don't put up a PDF of the sheet you would get from the reps - they just type out the finish in place order (don't show scoring).
There are probably other things that upset me the first time around, but I don't recall them now. Oh yeah - no electricity...bring a generator and don't plan to get a peacefull night's sleep with 100 of them running either.

The parade won't be an issue this year - so that's a major hassle out of the way.

If you know all the bad stuff going in, it doesn't seem so bad. Just prepare yourself and take it easy that weekend and you'll have fun.

Thanks. I've heard this was not organized very well thats why I posted the question. We have a Honda generator so noise from that is not a problem, but I'm sure I'll have to listen to others.

I can't leave until Friday morning from Iowa. In or opinion, what is the best time to show up? Not that I can do anything about my arivial time.
CBJ #4643

Old 03-05-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

as early as you can is always better for this contest, it is always packed side by side.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

With the new location, I can't honestly say. I would hope that it would relieve some of the congestion that has plagued this event. It's really a double edged sword - the contest keeps getting bigger - which is great...but at the same time they really have to pack you in there and things can get a little crazy.

All you can do is just show up when you can and roll with the punches. It will be a lot more enjoyable that way.
[URL="http://www.dodgecountysmokers.com"][SIZE=1][B][I]www.dodgecountysmokers.com[/I][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

[I][SIZE=1]Custom Built Cooker / [/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]Weber Kettle /[/SIZE][/I][I][SIZE=1]old New Braunfels offset in the backyard[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]

Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Where did this comp move to ... Mackin Park?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

It has moved behind the bowling alley in the parking lots.

Reading all that's been posted, I give kudos to Jay (the organizer) for listening to the contestants and making a change. This is privately owned land so the cops can't bag on you for drinks (like they did last year), there will be plenty of parking (so no ones vehicle gets towed away, like last year), there's a warm building to have the awards in (with a bar), so you can enjoy your friends if there is a waiting period for the awards. All the Snake Saturday parade festivities will be where they normally were so there shouldn't be too many parade watchers getting in the way OR sharing the porta potties (hopefully) that we would be using. The judging is also being held in the building so we don't have to go across the parade route either. Jay listened. He came up with a solution. Give him a chance and we'll see how things go this year.

Steph
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
Neal
Full Fledged Farker

Hey Steph - I agree. I am really looking forward to it and hope my comments were not percieved as baggin on the event. Before we cooked Lenexa last year, a guy told me all this negitive stuff that comes with cooking there - then he said, "once you get past that, you'll have a great time!" Well, I was prepared and we did end up having a great time.
NKC is one of the contests where I actually sat down and filled out the cook's survey and put it in the mail. Usually I have every intention of doing so, only to find it at the bottom of one of my storage tubs a month later. It is great to see an organizer learning and taking suggestions from participants and really doing something about it! I hope the changes made this year will help this contest continue to grow.

We'll see you out there! Can't wait to hang out in "Slab's Row!"

[I][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/I]