MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #7546
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

You know the drill, no pictures then it did not happen --pictures please

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Just finished up a valve mod over the weekend. I was getting tired of guessing and checking the valve ball locations during a cook. So I decided to make the adjustment easier to get to and easier to know the valve status.

wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #7547
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

Cancel last message, it just took the pictures awhile to download...sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
You know the drill, no pictures then it did not happen --pictures please
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #7548
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Why didn't you just put an elbow on the nipple, a length of pipe and mount the ball valve near the top of the drum so you could see it?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by expatpig; 09-08-2011 at 02:33 PM..
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #7549
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
Why didn't you just put an elbow on the nipple, a length of pipe and mount the ball valve near the top of the drum so you could see it?
I have 3 valves and doing all 3 in pipe is just too bulky IMO. Plus, I've read some things about air flow issues with the extended pipe and valve remoted like your pictures.

I know the valve location based upon the handle location, much like the original handle location on the valve. Jsut got tired of bending over and adjusting and checking.

Besides, I have a welder, chop saws, tap & die kits, time, and I like to fabricate.

Just another way to "skin a cat".
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #7550
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I have 3 valves and doing all 3 in pipe is just too bulky IMO. Plus, I've read some things about air flow issues with the extended pipe and valve remoted like your pictures.

I know the valve location based upon the handle location, much like the oriignal on the valve. Jsut got tired of bending over and adjusting and checking.

Besides, I have a welder, chop saws, tap & die kits, time, and I like to fabricate.

Just another way to "skin a cat".

I just use my foot to adjust mine
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #7551
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

airflow issues? theres really no air pressure involved. The slight vacuum created by the heated air escaping through the exhaust would not be affected by elbows or length of pipe.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #7552
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
air flow issues with the extended pipe
oddly i had the same thing with my original setup and ended up changing it with far better results.

it does seem to work for some people tho.

maybe it just has to do with me being at lake level

Quote:
would not be affected by elbows or length of pipe
FWIW pressure and flow are always affected by elbows and lengths (restrictions and orifices). whether it's significant enough to cause a problem with this application i don't have the equipment or desire to find out.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #7553
stglide

Quote:
SK... so if yo have three valves, during your cook, after you've got the heat up, etc, are you opening all three slightly, or some variation thereof? Just curious, as I was thinking of doing the same to mine, and playing with air from three sides, rather than just one. Didn't know if that was the thought, or would it make a difference...
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #7554
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
SK... so if yo have three valves, during your cook, after you've got the heat up, etc, are you opening all three slightly, or some variation thereof? Just curious, as I was thinking of doing the same to mine, and playing with air from three sides, rather than just one. Didn't know if that was the thought, or would it make a difference...
I like the idea of 3 valves equally spaced around the base of the drum. Better to have more air and be able to turn it down then not getting enough air.

I'm thinking that with three valves, equally spaced, the charcoal basket will burn evenly and better as opposed to one or two intakes, just a theory. But, this design works for me, and I have no problem getting the drum up to temp or dropping it and holding it to below 200.

I try to keep all valves open or partially closed the same amount to allow an even amount of air to the basket. Of course, there have been times I had to close one or two when trying to reduce the temps for low heat smoking.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #7555
stglide

Quote:
I'm thinking that with three valves, equally spaced, the charcoal basket will burn evenly and better as opposed to one or two intakes, just a theory. But, this design works for me, and I have no problem getting the drum up to temp or dropping it and holding it to below 200.
My thoughts exactly. Already have the three and pipe in place. Replace caps w/ the ball valves and give it a whirl!! In my head anyway, air from the three creates a more even heat distribution possibly... Either way, glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking this way....
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #7556
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

I want to eliminate the variables in my BUFORD/UDS. At all times, I want full control over the air intake, exhaust, charcoal basket, grate heights, smoke volume and duration, etc.

That way it boils down to just the consistency of the meat, my rubs, injections, glazes, etc. Which are still a alot of variables, but at the end of the day, I can't blame anything on the smoker.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #7557
Stan in TX
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My first of 4 UDS's

I found this forum thru another forum and got hooked immediately..

Found 4 barrels and going to make 4. The first one is finished .. did a test burn and now doing a test cook. Only need one... lol

Nothing special except for the one I am keeping I used a 18 in plow disk for the ash tray. Not sure if you can see the disk of not. It is not finished on the picture but almost. I am also going to make a lighter charcoal basket to have closed to the top so I can use as a grill. All have a dome lid and flast lid. I got a great deal on some 22.5 grills from Academy they we $25 and I used a lot of the hardware..

Last edited by Stan in TX; 02-27-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Stan in TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #7558
Dankster
Found some matches.

Joined here a few months back, read a good majority of this thread, and with a big push from a guy named Bacchus in ATL, I've started building my first UDS. Thank you to all who have posted their advice, trials, and expertise.

So far, I've drilled four 1" intake holes, then did the burn-out on the food grade drum, then used a Norton 4" stripping wheel to bring the inside and outside down to bare metal. Waiting for my welder to finish the coal basket, then install the cooking grate and thermo.

Cannot wait to do the seasoning to see how this thing handles. Hopefully this joker will finish the basket this week. Hoping...don't think I'm exactly his priority customer. lol
Dankster is offline   Reply With Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #7559
blackdog043
is one Smokin' Farker

^^^^ Congrates, your on your way to using a great smoker.
22.5 OTG
22.5 OTS
UDS
Mini WSM
Super Fast [COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen :thumb:

[B]Got butt ? Smoke it !![/B]
blackdog043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #7560
locodrvr
Got rid of the matchlight.

My first UDS. I completed this past weekend. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this forum, it helped me along tremendously. The only problem I have is my cooking distance. I can't get it much more than 20 inches from my fire. right now it's sitting at 18in. Any suggestions? help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0007 (600x800).jpg (44.9 KB, 1151 views)
locodrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker