• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sponsorship help

R

Rinky Dink

I know that a lot of teams would love to have a sponsor to help them, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach or get started on trying to obtain a sponsorship.
Do I start sending out feeler letters to every company I can think of or what. I know that a lot of big teams have hired agents to get them sponsorships but that still is a little out of my league.
I sat out of competions last year but my goal this year is I'm back and want to make some waves but I can't do all myself.
Any help from the great BBQ community would be greatly appreciated.

I started out by contacting my local butcher and offering to put up a banner for his store when we cook in return for discounted meat. He did one better and now supplies us with our meat for free. I'd start there. That's a good $$ saver.

I know that a lot of teams would love to have a sponsor to help them, my question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach or get started on trying to obtain a sponsorship.
Do I start sending out feeler letters to every company I can think of or what. I know that a lot of big teams have hired agents to get them sponsorships but that still is a little out of my league.
I sat out of competions last year but my goal this year is I'm back and want to make some waves but I can't do all myself.
Any help from the great BBQ community would be greatly appreciated.

#1 use who you know - Poll your family, extended family, freinds, and neighbors and ask them if they are looking to get their personal business or their companies' name out there.

#2 Make a list of the best prospects and invite a few to a contest, to their place of business deliver enough of your product for 8-10 people, or better yet...do both

#3 if your prospects turn you down, go to the next bunch, until all prospects are eliminated

#4 if the above is exhausted you need leverage. Winning a contest will give you leverage. It proves you are a good investment. After winning a contest repeat steps 1-3

#5 BEG, Company-Owning Alpha personalities love desperation, it is intoxicating to them

#6 if all else fails feverishly write business plans and distrubute them all over your town like lost dog flyers...someone will bite :becky:

Remember to emphasize what the benefits are for the potential sponsor. It's not a one way street. You don't get to take the money and run. The idea is to retain the sponsor instead of trying to find new ones each season.

Back