Just a quick smoker question....

A WSM with an ATC...Heck without an ATC can run 16 hours with a full coal ring. The only way I do Brisket or Butts now is overnight but I'm lazy.

Definitely the 22 and not just for large volume cooks. The 18 is too small for a single large brisket and other long cuts.

Not true my Friend. I've done many 20+ lb briskets on the 18. Ribs and not a problem either. :thumb:

I doubt I’ll ever approach that, but I figure the bigger top rack would be nice to avoid doubling up.

Also I reckon a couple disposable drip pans could be placed on the bottom rack to cut down on the mess for smaller cooks.

I hear the larger volume aids in temp control, etc. Any truth in that?

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'larger volume aids in temp control.' Using the Minion method, if I pour 15 grayed-over lit briquettes over a a basket of unlit, with each bottom vent open about 33%, & the top vent wide open, my WSM will chug at 280 for several hours on end. That's a temp I can cook just about anything at. Would have saved myself some anguish early on by not wrestling with temps 20 or 30 degrees either way.

My advice to anyone with a WSM would be to note how you light/start your WSM, and adjust accordingly until it runs how you want it to. Once you get that dialed in, it's Steady Eddie.

Not exactly sure what you mean by 'larger volume aids in temp control.' Using the Minion method, if I pour 15 grayed-over lit briquettes over a a basket of unlit, with each bottom vent open about 33%, & the top vent wide open, my WSM will chug at 280 for several hours on end. That's a temp I can cook just about anything at. Would have saved myself some anguish early on by not wrestling with temps 20 or 30 degrees either way.

My advice to anyone with a WSM would be to note how you light/start your WSM, and adjust accordingly until it runs how you want it to. Once you get that dialed in, it's Steady Eddie.

What I meant was that I’ve read somewhere that the larger internal space of the 22” aids in controlling temp fluctuations regardless of how much meat is on it. I guess because of the larger space to absorb fire fluctuations.

I was just inquiring if anyone else had heard of or experience this. I don’t know nearly enough about thermodynamics to form an opinion...

VR,
Harold

I went from the 18 to the 22 and I was amazed how much more charcoal I consumed so it was annoying for smaller cooks.

Here's my $.02. Had a WSM and had to keep a close eye on it. I never could get it to cruise on a temp for very long. Got a Primo ceramic and it worked great on temp and smoke flavor. Got a GMG pellet grill and found it lacked smoked flavor. Sold it and got a MAK 2 and now I get tons of smoke flavor plus the convenience of pellet grills. For overnighters, I program it to smoke for 2 hours, then go to 225 for the rest. A brisket goes on at 9pm and usually by 11am, its ready for cooler and I've had a good night's sleep.
Pellet smokers really do vary when it comes to smoke flavor. MAK programs its controller to produce good smoke, without overdoing it. The GMG produces very light smoke flavor, but too lite for me.

I went from the 18 to the 22 and I was amazed how much more charcoal I consumed so it was annoying for smaller cooks.

This is good info. Thanks, you just answered a question that was scratching the bottom of my brain.

VR,
Harold

Back