A BBQ Newbie with a dilemma over my Grilla Silverbac

Leviathan

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
This is my first post here, and I'm sorry if it's not the right place for this, but I want to know what experienced BBQ guys think of all this:

I finally bought a shiny new pellet grill to get my start into BBQing. I ordered Grilla Grills Silverbac pellet grill late on Sunday 5/6/18. It was shipped and to be delivered on 5/16/18. On 5/15/18 they announced the new upgraded model Silverbac. The new model is in the warehouse ready to ship at the time of the announcement. Which means I helped clear out old stock so they can start selling the new unit. They never announced a new model was on the way. I talked Mark Graham the sales and engineering Manager, the guy in all their videos. He stated he knew this would make some people mad, and offered no compromise or remedy for someone like me who was receiving an old model after the new model was released. He further stated if I refuse shipment Grilla Grills will charge me $300 for shipping and a 10% restocking fee, and told me to buy a grill from another company. So today when the truck arrived I felt strong-armed to receive the package or be subject to pay $400 fee for nothing. One thing he did state was there would be an upgrade package for the old unit, but could not tell me how much it would cost, and it would not include all the new features. He also stated the upgrades are mostly cosmetic and not really needed, which seems strange when they post several videos touting the new features.

For me it's not all about the features, but the way the company has treated me. They knew for a customer like me, I would be upset taking shipment on an old model when the new model was available, and choose to do nothing about it. Most companies announce ahead of time their new products, like Rec Tec did, to avoid this very problem. And for someone like me, who had not even received the unit yet, most companies would offer a reasonable refund to get the new unit. They offered me nothing, and told me if I dont like it take a $400 hit and find another company.

So what do you guys think? Did Grilla Grills take advantage of customers like me, and accept a small group of angry customers to help their bottom line? Or... Should I get over it and accept it as business as usual and start smoking?

I think it stinks, but it's just a matter of timing. I bought my Kamado Joe Big Joe just a few months before their new version was released. I was a little disappointed, but I made the decision to buy based on the price and features of the smoker I bought. So did you. If they didn't come out with a new model, you would have been perfectly happy with your smoker. Don't let the new model change the fact that you'll be making wonderful food on your new smoker. There's always something new around the corner, it just so happened your corner was really close!

Not what you want to hear,but they really didn't do anything wrong. They could have handled better, but that is it. Do you really think there is not a rec tec owner out there that purchased his grill just before a new model was released? You just got caught in an unlucky window. Is the model the same price? If so they should offer you the upgrade free. If it is more expensive then they should offer it to you at the difference. Anytime you buy something mass produced there is inventory. Companies can't be expected to eat inventory Everytime they release a new product. Would I be upset, oh yeah.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. Further, even if they did announce in advance the new product, then the folks who bought the week before the announcement would be in the same place you're in. So there really is no way to avoid disappointing someone, because there will always be folks who buy just before the new product release or announcement, except by how they handle the upgrade issue.

So I would focus on how they handle the upgrades to the old models and how much they'll charge for it.

You were happy with the purchase on 5/6 and nothing about the grill or what you paid for it has changed. So enjoy the hell out of it!

Yeah, you might have made a different choice now and they could have been more transparent to you (although I don't think they were obligated to) and that stings. I wouldn't beat myself or Grilla up too much over this. You just made your decision either 10 days early or a year late, depending on your perspective.

This is like receiving an email from Salma Hayek professing her love for you while your new wife is prepping herself for a luau on your honeymoon. Love the one you're with. There ain't nothing you can do it about it now that isn't going to cost you a lot of money.

Just Bad timing. I always wait a bit on buying a new model to see if it’s a POS. Sometimes the new model Sucks. Just pretend you never heard of the New Model and get your light smoke on........

If the fella responded to your concerns the way you said, he needs to work on his people skills. He could have knocked off a few bucks or sent you a package of goodies to help ease the sting- but that would be the extent of it.

Enjoy your cooker- don't let stuff make you mad if you can avoid it.

I agree with where the other Brethren are coming from. The part of your story that I think is actually worth getting upset about is just what Nuco pointed out there. Customer service is always important; what you say and what you do. Not impressed with them the way you tell it.

As Stephen stills says love the one your with

If you did not know about the New Model when you ordered then you were ordering the original and got what you ordered.

If you ordered because it said “New Models are out and ready to ship”and you thought you were ordering a New model then you have a legitimate complaint.......

What if you had ordered the Original , got shipped the New model and the New model turns out to be a POS.?

Last edited:
Once it arrives, check it out closely. If there is any damage you can refuse shipment. That wi help provide an attitude adjustment...

Never heard of the company so I am not familiar with their reputation. Alot of times when changing up a model the old one is discounted to clear stock for a new version. Tells me alot about a company that doesn't mention a new model and dumps old stock for full price.

Not immoral just not endearing to your customer base.

I'd just move on. There's always a newer model that will catch your eye. I don't think the new model is worth being upset about. It's a little costlier but the differences don't seem huge between the two. Certainly not enough to get into a potential legal fight over.

Besides... you'll probably want to upgrade it in a few months if you hang out here for a bit.

It would be nice if all manufacturers were like auto dealers in that you know when the new models are coming out.

But most grocers/butchers don't display the freshest stock on top, do they?

I agree with everyone else. The customer service was not impressive. If this went down the way you say it did, then the manufacturer stands to lose out on a few sales.

I will remmber this post when I put my hat in the BBQ accessory ring.

"I talked Mark Graham the sales and engineering Manager, the guy in all their videos. He stated he knew this would make some people mad, and offered no compromise or remedy for someone like me who was receiving an old model after the new model was released. He further stated if I refuse shipment Grilla Grills will charge me $300 for shipping and a 10% restocking fee, and told me to buy a grill from another company".

This alone is enough for me to never consider a Grilla Grill.

I'm curious, what did you pay? They currently have the old model for $699 and the new one is $749. The best I can tell, the only difference is the handles, some trim, and a pellet dump. I probably would have paid $50 for the pellet dump, but I am not sure I would get $50 back out of it. I just don't think I would like changing pellets on a regular basis, then having to store them. Once I dump a bag in, I burn it out. I use the same 100% Hickory in my Hopper 90% of the time, then add flavored pellets to my amaze-n-tube. I have a feeling, this will cost them, a lot more than it did you.

Sounds like poor service to me...I would be ticked off too if that happened to me. Hopefully you will end up enjoying the new toy and that it cooks good .

it's a jungle out there

love the grilla you got. that new one is all powder an paint

I don’t think Grilla did anything wrong necessarily, but I’m certainly not buying one after reading this. I’m especially mad if the new model is priced similarly to the old model. But the rep’s attitude is what would really upset me. Maybe he could have sympathized and sent you something small or ate the restocking fee, but instead he basically said to screw off.

Back