If you had to choose one.....

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new bbq thermometer. If you had to choose one would you choose the Maverick ET-73 or the Super Fast Thermapen? Also why would you pick one over the other?

Thanks!

Both!!

Well that depends on what you do more, hot and fast for low and slow.

When I do roasting or low and slow, I don't open the grill until the desired temp is reached...thermapen doesn't work for that.

The maverick doesn't check temp fast enough for small items.

Which do you do more?.....There is your answer, IMO

Both are great products, just different applications.

They are really different things. The ET-73 is designed to monitor meat and pit temps continuously and the Thermapen is for checking meat temp when desired, not monitoring it. Do yu already have a way to monitor pit temps? If so, then get the Thermapen. If not, the maverick would probably be more useful.

They are really different things. The ET-73 is designed to monitor meat and pit temps continuously and the Thermapen is for checking meat temp when desired, not monitoring it. Do yu already have a way to monitor pit temps? If so, then get the Thermapen. If not, the maverick would probably be more useful.

I agree. I want both, but if only one is in the budget... I think if you are doing 1 or 2 pieces of meat at a time go with the Maverick. That way you can monitor the pit temp and 1 of the meats remotely. If you are doing many cuts of meat of different sizes and types simultaneously, then go with the instant read Thermapen. That way you are minimizing the time the cooker is open by checking all the different meats as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
I agree with both, but if I had to choose, I would say the ET-73

Being as I don't need to really monitor pit temp it's a no brainer, the thermapen. Besdies the HD doesn't require me to monitor pit temps but they do require me to monitor the temp of foods in the steam table and in holding.

No questioned asked...Thermapen will be a lot more valuable in the long run! Learn how to manage your fire and don't get caught up in the temp swings...Thermapen is a great tool!!

Thanks everyone. I'm looking for something to help monitor cooking while doing low and slow. I was leaning towards the maverick since it will allow me to monitor the cooking temp as well as meat temp. It would be nice to have both.

A brief story as a way of answer: I bought the ET73 and really loved the idea. It was not built well and eventually failed, and while I used it frequently, I didn't feel the need to replace it. One of my biggest complaints with the ET-73 was the frequency with which it lost signal. I did buy a Stoker to fulfill the same purpose, but don't always use it either. The WiFi is a better option, but it takes a lot of effort to set it up. Additionally, as others have pointed out, you learn to control a fire, and the rest is gravy. It's not so important to take the meat off right when it hits exactly 185* or whatever, because it's still probably under done. I just got a Theremapen the other day, so I can't say if I would feel the need to replace it if it broke, but I like it:)

dmp

If I can only have one, that probably means I'm cooking in my driveway for myself and the family. Maverick please.

Hands down...the maverick is it. I have had no problems with mine and it makes life so much easier. I have noticed it to be slow (and maybe even a little inaccurate) on the meat temps, but its true value is the cooker monitoring IMO.

Agree with Jeff and Ron.

Here is an alternative to the Thermapen (Maverick Pro-Temp Commercial Thermometer)
http://www.chefsresource.com/maverick-pro-temp-commercial-thermometer.html

This Maverick alternative looks great. I like the larger easy-to-read display. The major disadvantage is that it just comes in white/gray and couldn't partake in the inevitable color-wars that occur every time some mentions "thermapen" -- actually, I think this is an advantage, never mind.

Back