I'm Fatty Failure ...

Hook_Line_and_Sinker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I know, with my bags packed and on the road to being a Farker, that I have learned what a fatty is .... but knowing what one is and making a decent one are two different things.

I stand before you naked, fatty in hand asking for advice
( knowing that the odds are this may end up in the woodpile oh so quickly)

I've made a couple attempts at fatties,

• first with just a plain old JD tossed on the grill - sawdust , dry , but smoky.
  • second a JD with rub sprinkled and watched the time a bit better - not as dry and had some flavor to it.
neither were something I'd rave about or expected..

NOTE: I love paddy type breakfast sausage , so i was very disappointed with the results. I normally buy the Farmer John ones , but went with JD due to the seemingly larger preference here ...

SURELY there has got to be some method , step, or something I'm missing here - I expected a smokey, juicy , flavorful , explode in my mouth experience - not something akin to chewing on a foam rubber ball.

Help

What temp did you pull the fattie off the smoker? I pull mine at 160*.

Try filling it with things you like then only smoking till about 150.Season the outside very well. I like the scotch egg verson with loads of heat added.

Maybe you are like many of us...Simply can't find a fatty very palatable. I can't eat them plain, just something about them. I cook them and put it in gravy over biscuits.

I can only eat one or two thin slices a day on toast for breakfast. It's just too heavy to plow through as a meal.

I never thought to temp / probe them - beer mod

duh I was thinking they are so high in fat that they would be fine in 1.5 to 2 hours - after all they were just a snack ....

ok well that should help is there any other ways to do a fatty ?

ideas wouldnt hurt

Try using the maple JD sausage. And add a handful of sliced jalapenos.
Just mix it up (like making a meat loaf) and throw on a little rub. Smoke, Slice and Enjoy
jon

i prefer bob evans... not sure why

stuffed with tillamook pepper jack cheese is good

vinnysbeeftenderloin-013.jpg

Can't get Bob Evans in SoCal. IF you get the JD either get the "Seriously Hot" (it isn't but it is seasoned better or the Maple. Farmer John Hot and Kroger Hot (available at Food4Less) are both good too.

I used to pick up directly at Farmer John ( after school job mod - 30 + years ago)

They used to have the breakfast sasuage in a HUGE chub the size of a Deli Bolonia like 2 foot long by 5 or 6 inchs - has anyone seen or used those?

I bet the bolonia would be good too - it was much better than the packaged ones

I used to pick up directly at Farmer John ( after school job mod - 30 + years ago)

They used to have the breakfast sasuage in a HUGE chub the size of a Deli Bolonia like 2 foot long by 5 or 6 inchs - has anyone seen or used those?

I bet the bolonia would be good too - it was much better than the packaged ones
I get mine fresh ground from the butcher.
4udg6e.jpg

It was bigger and if I recall right it was smoked - right along side of the bolonia

a few local stores have ground seasoned pork in bulk - but I am leary of thiers

Collage-Fatties.jpg

Well, your pit temp sounds good. I always go with at least pepper, and sometimes something like dizzy dust or maybe a hot rub, but that has no affect on the moistness. I'm okay with JD and I buy Farmland regular to take to work.....

Are you wrapping them and resting for an hour? This makes a difference. When I cook specifically for reheating the next day, I foil at 150* and cook for about 20 minutes more, the keep in the foil. Usually I reheat in the micro at work and in a skillet at home.

Your own fatties are actually a bit harder to cook, so nail the storebought ones first.

8d30537b.jpg

i prefer bob evans... not sure why

stuffed with tillamook pepper jack cheese is good

Rick, you do have some of the best pron ---- not just subject matter but the whole composition of the pictures is outstanding. not too tight a shot , yet just enough of the other food to make the viewer linger , yearning for more ...

Are you wrapping them and resting for an hour? This makes a difference. When I cook specifically for reheating the next day, I foil at 150* and cook for about 20 minutes more, the keep in the foil. Usually I reheat in the micro at work and in a skillet at home.

WHOA -- wait fatties get foiled ????

I know I was drinking through fatty 101 class , but yikes I missed that part

WHOA -- wait fatties get foiled ????

I know I was drinking through fatty 101 class , but yikes I missed that part

yes sir! and be sure to make some pretty swans like this!

23dec06-030.jpg

i usually make them the day before and serve cold as starters or take to work on a sandwich... at least i used to do that. :roll:

Back