MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #1186
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Can't wait to see the ticket count once the weather breaks...

Old 02-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #1187
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

You probably already know this, but at Franklin's BBQ somebody goes down the line outside and asks what they are intending to order. As its added up and they can see they've reached the end of the days inventory, they will tell the people in line after that point that there probably won't be any left. This all happens before the doors open, mind you. But that way people don't stand in line for 3 hours only to go home empty handed (and mad).

I realize you're already short-staffed and don't have an extra person to do this, but it's an idea to file away if you continue to be busy like this for the long haul.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #1188
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

It's amazing how things have progressed in only a few years ...
http://genxfinance.com/crock-pot-bbq...sy-and-frugal/

(was never a crock pot pulled pork fan, I always pressure cooked ... those were the days)

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #1189
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

You can give the last one in line to get anything one of these. With your name of course

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #1190
smoke ninja

I'm no expert but in my opinion selling out daily creates demand. If your selling enough to to make a profit who cares. If people stop coming due to lack of food, then it will balance out until your not running out. Word of mouth would get around and you would run out again. Increased capacity has its limits in quality, which would cost business. As long as your food is good and you are passionate, you will never keep up with demand.

If I make it to the west side I would be honored to hold the "sold out" sign.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #1191
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetz View Post
My guess is your standards are too high ...

If you have a KBSC judge sitting down to dinner sure I would not suggest serving up what your standards say is not the highest. Given that from these judges represent .0001 percent of the population the remaining 99.999 percent will be delighted.
How do you know a KBSC judge or other discerning guest is sitting down? (Shouldn't that be KCBS?) Are they like marathon runners? (*)

If you are not discarding excessive quantities of food, then IMO your standards are not too high. As volume goes up, it will become more and more difficult to approach ultimate quality with every piece of meat but you should strive for that nevertheless. Particularly if the substandard meat can be repurposed for something like chili, then I think you are good to go. Your high standards will make the difference in how your restaurant is viewed - e.g. just another place to get good 'Q or a place worth driving half way across the state that consistently produces the highest quality product. Take your choice.

(*) Q: How do you know someone runs marathons?
A: Don't worry, they'll tell you!
(And yes, SWMBO and I run marathons. )

Old 02-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #1192
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
If you are not discarding excessive quantities of food, then IMO your standards are not too high. As volume goes up, it will become more and more difficult to approach ultimate quality with every piece of meat but you should strive for that nevertheless. Particularly if the substandard meat can be repurposed for something like chili, then I think you are good to go. Your high standards will make the difference in how your restaurant is viewed - e.g. just another place to get good 'Q or a place worth driving half way across the state that consistently produces the highest quality product. Take your choice.
Exactly. The problem with the vast majority of restaurants in this country is that their standards are not high enough. I've never been to a restaurant, barbecue or otherwise, that I thought had too high standards.
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #1193
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I'll be honest, this unexpected success is stressing me out. All of my planning, all of my projections, I was looking at about 80 orders, tops, on a typical Saturday. Every day it seems like we're setting a new record. Today was no exception. Busiest day yet, had to close at about 3:45 so we could regroup and open for dinner at 5. Even then, still sold out by about 6:15. Lines out the door again, and the smoker was maxed out capacity wise all day.

Obviously, I can't complain about how well things are going, but I was planning for and expecting the worst. After all, I know the horror stories surrounding restaurants, and figured we'd ease into it and have to go balls out just to get people in the door and drum up business. Instead, I've been thrown into the fire.

I'm just still trying to come to terms with what has happened the past two weeks. I can't wait for a few days off and interviewing more help next week. Never imagined we'd potentially need a 10 person staff and be serving 300+ people in a 38 seat restaurant in the middle of BFE Michigan.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #1194
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

I'm stoked for you. I've been sort of silently watching but it's about dang time after what you went through.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #1195
Westcoast Redneck
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Just got done breezing through this topic......

That's awesome! Looks like all your planning and hard work is paying off. Love the way you won't compromise with quality... Attitude like that and you will always have people inline to buy your food!
Westcoast Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #1196
AaronPo
is one Smokin' Farker

I've followed this thread from the beginning reading your struggles and triumphs it's no question to me why you're succeeding! Congrats and keep up the good work, it's been eye opening and exciting to follow you in this journey!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #1197
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Comments like these make it all worth it.

Quote:
came in tonight for my first time and was in that line. Well worth the wait!! I tried a few of your dishes. Your ribs were the best spare ribs I've ever had. The chili was awesome! The pulled pork was not disappointing. Now, the brisket......I'm glad I got a pound cause I could not stop eating it. By far the best ever! Fantastic!!! You will be seeing a lot of me. 2lbs of brisket next time, haha.
Quote:
Never have I had brisket that didn't need sauce, until yesterday. After savoring BBQ across the US, I am so Thankul y'all are in our 'neck of the woods'. My spoiled Texas palette thanks you!!! The restaurant was spotless, our food was out fast. I couldn't find something to complain about if I tried. We were lucky enough to sneak in before the food ran out. It has been worth the wait. We can't wait to see what's to come!
Time for two days off. Well, one day, and then going in for the delivery on Tuesday. Hired a new short-term part-time evening dishwasher and he started today. That helped a lot. Got two interviews with cooks on Tuesday, which if even one of them works out would help tremendously.

It's been the craziest two weeks of my life. In a good way.

And my staff said some of the greatest things today. When we were all sitting down doing a recap of the week, my head cook said that this is the only job she's had in 20+ years that she's actually enjoyed. And then the others started to chime in and said they love coming into work and would rather be at work that sitting at home, etc. That means a lot and I must be doing something right. I just explained to them that I just want to treat them like I'd want to be treated. It is the golden rule after all.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #1198
landarc

Man, just one Yelp rating. Sort of funny, you being called the Prized Pig and getting a rep for brisket

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #1199
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Man, just one Yelp rating. Sort of funny, you being called the Prized Pig and getting a rep for brisket
Yeah, kind of surprised about the yelp situation, but I haven't pushed for it yet. I wanted to make sure things were going smoothly before I started to encourage people to do a review.

And yes, it is a bit ironic that it's a pig themed place is becoming most known for brisket. Maybe I should have left it "The Udder Place" and kept the cow decor...

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #1200
Westcoast Redneck
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That's awesome!

Need to spread the word about yelp...... I know when I visit a new town I use yelp to find something to eat!
Westcoast Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->