MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM   #46
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not a big fan of the breakfast sausage stuff for fatties. I like to use johnsonville brats. Remove the casing. Season with whatever you like. I like to add roasted peppers, garlic, onion and cheese. It's pretty difficult to dry out bratwurst (lots of nice fat)

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #47
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Brent

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #48
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

baste them with maple syrup.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 AM   #49
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
baste them with maple syrup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ View Post
I'm not a big fan of the breakfast sausage stuff for fatties. I like to use johnsonville brats. Remove the casing. Season with whatever you like. I like to add roasted peppers, garlic, onion and cheese. It's pretty difficult to dry out bratwurst (lots of nice fat)

ok now I'm sporting a fatty ...

i love brats and i would have never thought of that

and more than brats MAPLE SYRUP I live for maple

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #50
humdogj
Knows what a fatty is.

A brat fatty? Hellz yes!!!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #51
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Thread necro?

Somebody had to say it!

I like my fatties with diced jalapeno and onion with shredded colby and jack cheese.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #52
Daddy-O
On the road to being a farker

I have tried a few times to make fatties - & I haven't liked any of them. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after reading through countless forums and posts, I don't think so.

I think it is just too greasy or something for me.

I will keep on with the other stuff and leave the fatties for those that appreciate them!
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #53
JoeSmoker

I tried using chicken sausage at the request of my wife, to lighten them a bit. The chicken sausage fell apart. Of course I may have overloaded it. I rolled it out, put some sliced jalapenos, black olives, cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, and chunky salsa. Looking back, I should have strained the salsa and maybe it would have held up better. It was still good, I just had a bit of a clean up job later!
JoeSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #54
Mikey063

Well, I am going to show my ignorance, I am unsure what a fatty is. From what I read it is just a big sausage that you throw on the smoker. Not sure if that sounds good or now...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #55
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A fatty is just sausage (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is preferred) with or without rub that is smoked. That is the simple start. Then you can get all sorts of fancy and start rolling it flat and adding stuffings and bacon wraps and what not. Start with a simple naked fatty and see what you think. Then go from there.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #56
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O View Post
I have tried a few times to make fatties - & I haven't liked any of them. I thought I was doing something wrong, but after reading through countless forums and posts, I don't think so.

I think it is just too greasy or something for me.

I will keep on with the other stuff and leave the fatties for those that appreciate them!

What sausage are you using? I agree the chubs of sausage are nasty. If you can find fresh pan sausage from a meat market you might get results you enjoy. That is all I use and everyone loves them.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #57
Mikey063

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
A fatty is just sausage (Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is preferred) with or without rub that is smoked. That is the simple start. Then you can get all sorts of fancy and start rolling it flat and adding stuffings and bacon wraps and what not. Start with a simple naked fatty and see what you think. Then go from there.
Does it come with a defibrillator? That way when it closes all the vessels to my heart, I am ready lol. It does sound tempting, but I would be the only one eating it. My wife dislikes overly fatty foods. Which is ironic considering I am starting to make bacon and sausage at home lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #58
Daddy-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
What sausage are you using? I agree the chubs of sausage are nasty. If you can find fresh pan sausage from a meat market you might get results you enjoy. That is all I use and everyone loves them.
I used fresh sausage twice and a couple of tubes (Jimmy Deans?) the other times.

I tried stuffing it with cheese/bacon/other things. It came down to being too heavy for me. My kids, however loved it, & so did the others who tried it.

Once again, I think it comes down to "It's not you......It's me!"
Maybe it was the 14 PBR's I had before eating!
Daddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatty