MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
do you polish that after every cook or what
That's actually a pic of yours... lol! Have you let my baby go downhill? :'(

And no, I don't polish after every cook. My cleaning regimen takes > 5 minutes after a cook. Easy peasy if you keep it up :)
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote




Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #32
tom b
Babbling Farker

 
tom b's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-12-15
Location: Temecula, CA
Default

Actually Robb it is cleaner now than when I picked it up. I was only razzing ya because I'm that guy polishing all the cookers each weak
__________________
MAK 2 Star General, Built in Santa Maria Pit, Weber Performer Deluxe 22 w/CB Rotisserie, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Bayou Classic 36" offset, WGA
tom b is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #33
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Actually Robb it is cleaner now than when I picked it up. I was only razzing ya because I'm that guy polishing all the cookers each weak
atta-boy!
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- 26.75" Weber kettle w/ SnS, Vortex and GrillGrates -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
blackdogbbq21
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 04-30-18
Location: Northern California
Name/Nickname : Paul
Default

Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 08-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #35
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker
 
BKING!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-18
Location: Talbott, TN
Name/Nickname : Brent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogbbq21 View Post
Really interesting video.
I made the switch to stick burning from a wsm two years ago. For me I enjoy the work of tending a fire and prefer the food that comes off my stick burner to what I was making on the wsm.
That said I've got friends that have pellet cookers that joke with me about being able to put food on and take off to run errands while their meat cooks.

We are lucky to have so many choices for cookers out there
I couldn’t agree more! The choices in different smokers, grills, meats, techniques, rubs, etc. is why I love this hobby so much. It never gets old
__________________
Current:Mak ⭐️ general, Weber kettle 26, camp chef 900 griddle
BKING! is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #36
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

 
arclite's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-18-15
Location: Chicago
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
Backyard sized offsets are a lot less money though. You could probably make the same comparison with a Lang 36 which runs <$2000.
True.

I'd love to get a stick burner, but even a backyard offset is not feasible for my urban living. As crazy as it sounds, I've gone as far as contemplating a summer place in WI or MI so I could have more space for an offset... and lake property.
__________________
Primo Jr., Weber 22.5 OTG w/Rotisserie & Vortex, DigiQ DX2, Thermapen, KCBS
arclite is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 PM   #37
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!
 
m-fine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-16
Location: Rochester/Finger Lakes NY
Default

Not at all surprised by the results. I have used all four and currently own an RF and a Kamado and agree almost completely. Stick burners simply produce better tasting bbq, but require the most work.

The one thing I don’t agree with is most of the differences he talked about between the traditional and RF offset are due to the different size stacks on those two smokers. Switch the stacks and the RF would flow more air and (if run wide open) burn more fuel. An RF and traditional with the same size inlets and stacks will have pretty much identical flow rates and efficiency. The RF may be more even end to end but skilled use of tuning plates could match or even beat an RF in even temps, especially if the guy running the RF is less familiar with it. In other words, pit master skill is a bigger differentiator than the offset pit style.

Also, he left out the WSM and drum smokers which are pretty darn common. I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.
__________________
[Smoker: Lang 84] [Grills: Chargril on Lang & Webber Ranch] [Kamado: Pit Boss 24]
m-fine is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-23-2019, 06:19 AM   #38
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker
 
BKING!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-18
Location: Talbott, TN
Name/Nickname : Brent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
I would expect one used with a drip tray/water pan that keeps the fat from burning to marginally beat the Kamado due to more airflow and ability to burn more wood chunks, but one where the fat burns and smokes would be last in flavor.
Don’t agree here. Fat drippings are a either love or hate kind of thing and I believe it would rack up quite a few votes from the ones in the love it category. You’ve got some very successful drum guys in the competition realm for instance. The flavor if controlled seems to be pretty popular. Controlled is the key though
__________________
Current:Mak ⭐️ general, Weber kettle 26, camp chef 900 griddle
BKING! is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #39
JAKs Q & brew
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 08-29-13
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default

I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years
__________________
Primo Oval XL, 30" Santa Maria Grill, Carson Rodizio, 22" Weber Kettle, Humphrey's Pint
JAKs Q & brew is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #40
BKING!
is One Chatty Farker
 
BKING!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-18
Location: Talbott, TN
Name/Nickname : Brent
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKs Q & brew View Post
I don't have much experience cooking on off set stick burners. I got a Primo right now (though looking to get a GF or IVC soon).
I like Jeremy's videos a lot and always find them informative.
My biggest gripe with his "scientific" comparison videos is it doesn't take into account the Pitmaster's expertise. He is clearly a good offset stick burner operator, but in the video he even admits that he doesn't have much experience cooking on Kamados or pellets.
There has to be some affect on the end product that he has so much more experience cooking on stick burners. I know i have gotten better with my Primo over the years
That’s a really good point
__________________
Current:Mak ⭐️ general, Weber kettle 26, camp chef 900 griddle
BKING! is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #41
Lynn Dollar
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Lynn Dollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-19-18
Location: Oklahoma City
Name/Nickname : Lynn
Default

Has anyone noted , that the pellet pooper used in this blind tasting .........sells for $4,000 ?
Lynn Dollar is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 08-23-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!
 
m-fine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-16
Location: Rochester/Finger Lakes NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Has anyone noted , that the pellet pooper used in this blind tasting .........sells for $4,000 ?
They were all expensive pits.
__________________
[Smoker: Lang 84] [Grills: Chargril on Lang & Webber Ranch] [Kamado: Pit Boss 24]
m-fine is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 08-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #43
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 08-30-03
Location: Richmond, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
Has anyone noted , that the pellet pooper used in this blind tasting .........sells for $4,000 ?


I’d venture a guess those offsets are a good bit above 4K. I just recall a few people that had both a 640 and a 1500 say the 1500 put out a more offset like product than the 640...maybe it was confirmation bias? I dunno...but the design of the pit with the baffle plate having holes seems to make a lot of sense...when I had my 640 I wondered why they didn’t do that as a lot of the smoke goes up the side and the end....maybe a size thing.


Memphis Elite





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is online now   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts