New Smoker Seasoning Advice

DcsDiver

Reaction score
Hello Brethren,

Need some advice on a proper initial seasoning for my new Peoria Cooker Backyard smoker "24X48" . Do I just need an initial "burn-in" by smoking without meat, or should I use some sort of sprayed oil on the inside of the smoke chamber and grates? If a light coat of oil is in order, what would you recommend?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

DcsDiver

Fill spray bottle with vegetable oil. Spray cooking chamber and fire box very liberally. Wipe down with towel and fire it up as hot as you can get her. Let run a few hours. I let mine settle down to 275 then throw a fatty on for a few hours.

Fill spray bottle with vegetable oil. Spray cooking chamber and fire box very liberally. Wipe down with towel and fire it up as hot as you can get her. Let run a few hours. I let mine settle down to 275 then throw a fatty on for a few hours.

Hey thanks ddweatherholtz! So the firebox needs a little oil as well... will try that. If you don't mind me asking, what does the seasoning process provide? Is it more of a protectant of the finish or does it diminish the new paint odor?

Thanks Much!

ddweatherholtz, thanks for the link. Will give it a crack this weekend.

Back