MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #31
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonC View Post
Although my brisket didn't score well last time, I think that was a function of tenderness and not taste. My theory across the board is to stay with consistent flavors between my rub and sauce, so my sauces have always been flavored primarily with the rub that I used on the meat. At the moment my favorite brisket rub has been the Dizzy Pig Cowlick rub, so thats what I've been using in my sauce. My competition sauce recipie was as follows:

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon Molasses
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Hard Times Cafe XXX hot sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Dizzy Pig Cowlick Rub
1/4 c of drippings from the brisket (preferably seperated of fat).

Combine all ingredients, simmer on low for approx 75% until it has reduced by 25%
Sounds good Nelson. Thanks for that. Looks pretty interestin. I had molasses in my brisket sauce too, and kinda like what it did....then started thinking it tasted a little too malty. But 1 TBSP is much less than I was using. Will try this. Guess you grind up the cow lick fine?

Hmm. Now I am gonna have to cook up a brisket before the comp to get some au jus. At the comps we don't wrap our brisket until it goes in the cambro, and we only end up with a couple tbsp of fat in the foil.

Thanks for sharing your recipe, and good to hear you are using cow lick!
Beers
Chris
Nature Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #32
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I see some posts that refrence "sweet", I have always tried a more savory approch with brisket. maybe thats were I am going wrong. did o.k. in WVA with spicy bbq sauce mixed with the brisket juice. great thread, keep the ideas coming..

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #33
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastntoast View Post
Has anybody tried the "Smoked Chipoltly Tobasco". It works really good on Beef too.

Jules
Hey Jules
My team mate Chuck loves the chipotle tabasco and uses it in his brisket sauce at home. That's on my list of things to try in my all new 2009 brisket sauce. Cool to read all the responses. Yooz guys truly are Bretheren around here.

Cheers mang!
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #34
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I see some posts that refrence "sweet", I have always tried a more savory approch with brisket. maybe thats were I am going wrong. did o.k. in WVA with spicy bbq sauce mixed with the brisket juice. great thread, keep the ideas coming..

Sal
Naw. I wouldn't say savory is a problem Sal. Especially on beef. Our only sweet is in the sauce, and it's real thin. We've also been more savory in our approach, but know lots of cooks that go sweeter and do well.

Be well dewd!
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
I used a white balsamic glaze with some brown sugar, pepper, salt, and garlic. It tasted awesome. I think it placed 17th out of around fifty teams. Could have been a little more tender.

That sounds simple and good. So, just a reduction of white balsamic sugar ans spices? Hmm. But dang....white balsamic?? Don't recall ever seeing it. Balsamic made with white wine?

Thanks
Chris

Old 11-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #36
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
That sounds simple and good. So, just a reduction of white balsamic sugar ans spices? Hmm. But dang....white balsamic?? Don't recall ever seeing it. Balsamic made with white wine?

Thanks
Chris
They should have it at any food store in your area. Check it out, very tasty. Sometimes they have the reduction already made. It is very pricy but very conveinent. 20.00 for like 3 oz.
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #37
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Q sauce from QN4U is the standard for Brisket turn ins out here

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #38
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great thread. Thanks for starting this discussion Chris.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #39
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Chris-

Sounds like you need a taste testing party. Cook a couple briskets with the different sauces and have some people over. Heck, I'll even invite myself

I'm thinking of reworking my sauce too. Problem is, thats as far as I've gotten so far..

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #40
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Chris, what weekend are we tasting:-)))) Thanks for starting the thread. Hope all is well!

Hey Dan 3eyz give me a call 301 two three seven 4588.

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 11-14-2008 at 08:34 PM..
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #41
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

A party??!! You're so generous Chris. I'll bring the Legend Brown.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #42
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

angelo's pit sauce in the store.

Not the bottled stuff

Old 11-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #43
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Interesting discussion. Saucing brisket is one area that I pay zero attention to. I've always figured cooking it right doesn't warrant much more. That's not to say I won't be playing with some things to step up my game over the winter!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #44
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Interesting discussion. Saucing brisket is one area that I pay zero attention to. I've always figured cooking it right doesn't warrant much more. That's not to say I won't be playing with some things to step up my game over the winter!
Apparently you are paying attention to this "Comp Brisket Sauce" thread. Just bustin' your chops, of course.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #45
Michael in PA
Got Wood.

In my opinion, the best briskets I ever cooked were a little sweet, with a gentle heat and a complex savory background. Can something be sweet and savory at the same time? Anyway, this all comes from the rub. I don't sauce brisket. And I really, really like our sauce, especially on burnt endz.

I also rarely use foil. Briskets come out and are sliced after a very short rest. To my mind there's something magical about that crispy fat/rub crust that gets lost in the foil or under sauce. But that's just my opinion and my credentials are a little thin.

Tags
brisket, flavor profile