MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #2716
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

And here's a little sales info for the month. Still blows my mind that brisket makes up two of the top three items. Who would have thought that would be the case up here closer to Canada than Texas.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #2717
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going to go with good food knows no boarders!

Old 06-23-2015, 04:00 PM   #2718
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Running out early of the more expensive cuts I'd raise the prices if you can't expand. If its as good as it sounds they'll still come. I'm pretty frugile and a favorite restaurant of mine has raised their prices 2 times in the past 2 years and I still go. And it's the only place I go to pay for food.

But I know nothing about running a business just know what I've seen with others.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #2719
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeM1x View Post
Running out early of the more expensive cuts I'd raise the prices if you can't expand. If its as good as it sounds they'll still come. I'm pretty frugile and a favorite restaurant of mine has raised their prices 2 times in the past 2 years and I still go. And it's the only place I go to pay for food.

But I know nothing about running a business just know what I've seen with others.
That's actually coming in a few weeks. I've got a full staff meeting scheduled for the 7th and a big part of that will be going over the menu overhaul. Prices will be going up across the board, but especially everything brisket. I could only eat the cost increase of beef for so long.

I've also introduced a few new sides that were initially ran as specials, but have taken off so well that they are now regular items. Smoked chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice, green beans, side salads, etc. The great thing about those sides is they take away from some of our more costly sides like mac and cheese, which helps profit margins without even needing to raise those prices much.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #2720
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Also I don't know about your neck of the woods but beef just keeps going up around here(Wisconsin) and I'm good friends whos parents raise steers and the cost of calfs are like double what they were 2 years ago.

Glad to see you're addressing your menu prices after all this time. Most BBQ people are very generous and you don't want to disgruntle your fan base but you gotta turn a profit to for your work.
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #2721
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd love to stop by, but I don't want to make things harder for you. I guess I'll just have to admire you from a distance.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #2722
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Surprised to see brisket as almost 25% of your sales. But, maybe it's because you make something they aren't used to getting that far north...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review HERE. WSM Mods HERE. My Brisket Guide HERE.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #2723
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

doesnt suprise me at all

Brisket is bigger here than you realize.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #2724
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
And here's a little sales info for the month. Still blows my mind that brisket makes up two of the top three items. Who would have thought that would be the case up here closer to Canada than Texas.

If you add "brisket by the pound" to those top two brisket items, it looks like brisket makes a full 1/4 of your total sales.

You must make really good brisket!!

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #2725
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

What POS system are you using that you are pulling these reports from?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #2726
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

Burnt ends, if done well, are serious business.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #2727
lashing1c
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

The brisket sales do not surprise me at all. It is something they cannot get here in the north done correctly. Whenever I do brisket, it is always the thing I get the most comments on because everyone thinks they can do Pulled Pork in a Crock Pot and someone is always having a rib special.

Smoked Brisket is so unique here in the north!!! People do not know what it is.....where it comes from... and how it is done correctly. All these lead to sales. IN MY OPIONION!!!

Love your post and facebook page. Keep up the good work.
lashing1c is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #2728
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

Is most of your business take out? Your drink percentage seems a bit low unless the platters come with a drink included. Drinks are a huge driver of restaurant profit.

Do you do teas? Super high profit margin, and if done well makes people want a drink more than just a coke machine. I know from experience that Sweet Tea sells in Michigan. Just got to push people to try it.

Other than that, it seems like you have a good thing going. Is it worth the hassle? Typically, one off restaurants don't make tons of money unless they sell higher profit margin items. I'd be looking to grow it. Every customer that gets turned away is you literally throwing money away. Heck, maybe it would be worth it to rent some space in an industrial complex to run catering and expand your ability to produce food.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #2729
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
That's actually coming in a few weeks. I've got a full staff meeting scheduled for the 7th and a big part of that will be going over the menu overhaul. Prices will be going up across the board, but especially everything brisket. I could only eat the cost increase of beef for so long.

I've also introduced a few new sides that were initially ran as specials, but have taken off so well that they are now regular items. Smoked chicken and sausage gumbo, red beans and rice, green beans, side salads, etc. The great thing about those sides is they take away from some of our more costly sides like mac and cheese, which helps profit margins without even needing to raise those prices much.

I'm still wondering if it's possible to expand your cooking capacity to increase revenue and profit ?
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #2730
davet54
Full Fledged Farker

We are currently on vacation and gonna stop by there tomorrow for lunch/dinner. Gonna try it out.

Thanks from:--->