MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #16
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogGrog View Post
On mine, the wheel can very quickly be taken off, it is fastened with a set screw so a few turns with an allen wrench and its off or on. It would probably reduce the cost of a cover if you had it tailored to fit the dimensions without the wheel on?
Got a link to the manufacturer for yours? That's a pretty solid looking grill.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #17
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just cover your patio........

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-13-2017 at 11:00 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 10:54 PM   #18
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

Double post

Old 09-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #19
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Here you go; http://www.oldpioneermfgco.com It is well built, 3/16" plate and strong welds. Like most everyone else, prices have increased since I bought a couple years ago. Website says there is sale occurring but not how much. I got mine for 29% off during a special sale celebrating their 29th year in business. The owner and fabricator, Dennis, will customize to your needs. Let me know if you have questions or I can help.
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #20
South Butte Slim
Knows what a fatty is.

I have had my santa maria grill for 8 to ten years out in the elements. I have had to replace the charcoal grates once. They needed to be beefed up anyway. I sand and paint ever year or two and has held up well.
South Butte Slim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 PM   #21
Leftwngr
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Scottsdale grill and AZBBQ made a cover for it. The wheel gets its own cover. Works great. It's 2 pieces, but it makes it easy to put on and take off. No weird pockets.

Pucks not politics
Leftwngr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #22
HumboldtSmokeBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my santa maria grill. That being said, it is a PITA to cover it. I have had it since 2009, and it was custom built, I bought it used. I cant cover it. Since I have owned it I had to sand it down and repaint it one time. It is now in a fully covered location and will give me many more years of service. I love teh capacity and there is nothing better than grilling a tri tip or a spatchcock chicken over oak.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #23
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey JacksBBQ, I researched for a while, and just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the $ that some of these cost. I found a local DFW that custom made mine for me and it was VERY reasonable. His craftsmanship was spot on! I'm very happy with it. Due to the Photobucket boning, I'm unable to post pics, but if you pm me your email address I can send you pics of mine, and contact info for the builder.
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick

Last edited by Smokesignalsfromtx; 09-14-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #24
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

LSG makes some really nice Santa Maria grills. My wife and I were at the LSG shop with her having punched my ticket to get one. Then...... i just got to thinking about my two BGE's that I use to grill stuff on plus my Weber Jumbo Joe that I use at times to fire up and grill a steak or two. So... I punted. I know what you are thinking. How could I walk away from such a great new cooking toy?

The Grillwrap covers are expensive but very well made and are constructed to fit your cooker/grill. I love mine that is used to cover my LSG VO. As mentioned in this thread, they have a ten year warranty.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #25
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokesignalsfromtx View Post
Hey JacksBBQ, I researched for a while, and just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the $ that some of these cost. I found a local DFW that custom made mine for me and it was VERY reasonable. His craftsmanship was spot on! I'm very happy with it. Due to the Photobucket boning, I'm unable to post pics, but if you pm me your email address I can send you pics of mine, and contact info for the builder.
you have contact info for the local guy? ive been looking at them for a long time and cant bring myself to pay what some of these guys want.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #26
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtTX View Post
you have contact info for the local guy? ive been looking at them for a long time and cant bring myself to pay what some of these guys want.
Sure do....

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/fo...303550541.html

Not sure if the link copied really right, but my Santa Maria is the one at the end. I had him make it with a fold down front for easier cleaning. I also ordered and installed firebricks. This thing is built like a tank! I'd say it weighs a good 450+
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #27
Notorious Q.U.E.
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springram View Post
LSG makes some really nice Santa Maria grills. My wife and I were at the LSG shop with her having punched my ticket to get one. Then...... i just got to thinking about my two BGE's that I use to grill stuff on plus my Weber Jumbo Joe that I use at times to fire up and grill a steak or two. So... I punted. I know what you are thinking. How could I walk away from such a great new cooking toy?

The Grillwrap covers are expensive but very well made and are constructed to fit your cooker/grill. I love mine that is used to cover my LSG VO. As mentioned in this thread, they have a ten year warranty.
How bout that slick new LSG burner fryer station with griddle top?!? I'm envious that you can just walk into the showroom, must be nice having green light on an LSG cooker!!

"...can't you see? Sometimes your words just hypnotize me and I just love your flashy ways. Guess that's why they broke and you're so paid!!!"
Notorious Q.U.E. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #28
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I just have one of the small-ish SM Pits that you can get at the local Costco and Ace Hardware's. Grate is 30"x20". I throw one of the cheapo grill covers available at Sams for about $30. They seem to last about 3 years or so. Had my Pit for many years now w/o any serious problems. I did use a wire brush on it a few years back where rust was starting, then used a high temp black spray paint to touch it up (exterior only)

Not a custom fit by any means, but keeps everything covered up from the elements (that is, mostly fog with occasional rain)

I think I'm good for several more years based on how things seem to be progressing.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #29
CentralOhioBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I put one in my back patio last summer. I use an old grill cover so it doesn't rust, I imagine it would get worn pretty quick i I didn't have it one there.

Mine is wood burning, no gas. So the bottom and walls are all firebrick and I didn't mortar the bottom in, so any water that gets in seeps through the cracks in the firebrick.

Couple of recommendations:
1) Go with wood burning, gas is cheating
2) Def need some sort of cover, esp if any water won't run through/off
3) You need air in the chamber, otherwise you'll be babysitting the fire. I had to fix mine with an air pump that i have attached from underneath my gas grill. I run the air pump through a steel pipe that comes out in the bottom of the pit in the santa maria....now the coals/wood burn perfectly with little to no maintenance..

Last edited by CentralOhioBBQ; 11-23-2017 at 09:06 PM..
CentralOhioBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #30
JacksBBQ
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralOhioBBQ View Post
I put one in my back patio last summer. I use an old grill cover so it doesn't rust, I imagine it would get worn pretty quick i I didn't have it one there.

Mine is wood burning, no gas. So the bottom and walls are all firebrick and I didn't mortar the bottom in, so any water that gets in seeps through the cracks in the firebrick.

Couple of recommendations:
1) Go with wood burning, gas is cheating
2) Def need some sort of cover, esp if any water won't run through/off
3) You need air in the chamber, otherwise you'll be babysitting the fire. I had to fix mine with an air pump that i have attached from underneath my gas grill. I run the air pump through a steel pipe that comes out in the bottom of the pit in the santa maria....now the coals/wood burn perfectly with little to no maintenance..
That's an awesome setup you have there! Thanks for the tips.