MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
woodfolks
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 55 gal drum smokers

Just wanted to see if anyone had some pictures, plans,
Ideas on A 55 Gal smoker that was Not an upright
Drum Smoker (UDS)

Also I am new to this can anyone let me know what a BDS stands for.

My reason for the Horizontal 55 Gal Drum was moree cooking area.
I would think that you would have to add a fire box
for an offset smoker. Mabey put a grill rack
In the middle.

This would give you 35" length by about 22.5' wide or so
Much bigger then the 22.5" UDS ( I know you could double the
Racks on the UDS, This would give you more area)
woodfolks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
steveheyes
Got Wood.

google "double barrel drum smoker" I think you'll be pleased with what you find.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=double+barrel+drum+smoker

Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

IMO, the double-barrel smoker is quite an undertaking for something that's just sheet metal thin and only has so much life to it before burn or rust out....even if there's no welding required. It looks like a pretty big fuel hog to me.

If you're thinking about an offset made with drums, the Char-griller offsets and others are CHEAP, and some of them are pretty big. Tell you what though, you're gonna go to a WHOLE LOT of trouble getting an offset made out of a drum to cook anywhere near as good as a BDS clone or UDS. Heck, I don't even have a firebox on my char-griller...because I have a UDS and a wsm. However.... "It's the cook, not the cooker."
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Do some homework on google as there will be some good info there. Wouldn't be a project for us but certainly an alternative smoker. Cooking area may not be the best criteria to look at. Just a thought. Good luck finding some info and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

This one was posted in another thread by Norcoredneck. It looks to me like a good design. I think as long as you could get the doors to seal good, it should cook real simular to a UDS, if you use a UDS style charcoal basket. I have two barrells that are waiting patiently for me to get to them!! I love the way that the UDS is very fuel efficient, but I hate doing the "rack shuffel" and I like the ease of entry into my offset, but it is a fuel hog. I think this one would be a good compromise between the two styles of smokers.

http://jmillerid.com/wordpress/2009/...n-drum-smoker/

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh yeah, UDS=Ugly Drum Smoker BDS=Big Drum Smoker!!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #8
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

What is this drum smoker you speak of ??

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

My first drum smoker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1446.jpg (79.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1888.jpg (64.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (90.6 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1892.jpg (100.7 KB, 315 views)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Dave Russel- here's another "BDS clone".
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...cs+illustrated

When I was a wee little guy back in 1959 I remember my grandfather smoking bacon in two stacked oil drums while he was waiting for the brick smokehouse that he later had. I don't think he was unique and I bet that lots of barrel smoking was going on all over the States and I also bet alot of them never heard of Mechanics Illustrated. I think alot of those ol'timers are sitting up there licking there lips at the pron the Brethren are turning out.
So when was the BDS moniker coined?
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Phubar

Looks beautiphul Bubba!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Dyce51
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post

Now that's funny!!!!!
Dyce51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
Hotrodhog
Full Fledged Farker

I have to say, i'd hate to see you waste your time, I did.

I used 3 Stainless drums to build a double drum set up.

Its not worth the extra rack space as far as I'm concerned, you don't get the flavor or bark and its a bitch keeping the temp in range.

But sometimes you just gotta learn yourself, maybe you'll make it work!

Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes!
Hotrodhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo View Post
Hey Dave Russel- here's another "BDS clone".
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...cs+illustrated

When I was a wee little guy back in 1959 I remember my grandfather smoking bacon in two stacked oil drums while he was waiting for the brick smokehouse that he later had. I don't think he was unique and I bet that lots of barrel smoking was going on all over the States and I also bet alot of them never heard of Mechanics Illustrated. I think alot of those ol'timers are sitting up there licking there lips at the pron the Brethren are turning out.
So when was the BDS moniker coined?

Before researching pit designs using 55 gallon drums, if I'd ever seen an UPRIGHT drum that was being used as a pit, I probably would've assumed it was a burn drum. Drums used as horizontal pits were simply the only ones I was familiar with until I came across designs by Clark "Smoky" Hale. Well, my first drum cooker had a fuel door that's similiar to the single drum design he illustrates, and I would shovel hickory coals into the bottom of the drum from a seperate burn drum. Let me tell you what...that is hard work.

Anyway, my second drum cooker was basically copied from what I found online about the Big Drum Smoker. The differences were neglible, so I've often referred to it as a "BDS clone", just as others have. It stands to reason that someone used Jim Minion's charcoal method to cook bbq in an upright 55 gallon drum before the BDS was marketed, but I just never came across that idea before the BDS. I take it that some here don't take kindly to seeing the term.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Wampus

I was right where you are at about 6 months ago. I researched, asked tons of questions, got LOTS of advice from the Brethren, and basically I came to the conclusion (through all of the advice) that the UDS was the way to go.

My reasoning was that it seemed to me that there were a lot more design concerns with a horizontal smoker (diffusers, tuning plates, vents, insulated firebox, airflow, etc.). I read a lot of posts where people had to do a LOT of adjusting, modification, and farting around with their offsets to get them to perform the way they wanted. All the reading I did on UDS's suggested that they were farily foolproof as long as a few details were followed.

I agree, still, with your reasoning that the a 55 gal drum on it's side yields more cooking area. Being a newbie, I just didn't want to deal with the headaches of not getting it right the first time.

I decided on building the UDS. I've got 2 racks in mine, and it'll hold quite a bit of grub. I still want to have a horizontal offset one day, but for now....I'll continue to perfect my methods and keep on learning on the UDS. Right now, bewteen my 2 smokers and my 2 grills, I'm good.

I don't know your level of BBQ experience, so I could be just talking out of my arse here, but I'd suggest the UDS as a GREAT starter smoker (if that's what you're after). Heck, for that matter, I scored my ECB for $15 from CL and with a couple of cheap mods, I did just about all my initial 'Q' learnin' on that thing. By the time I did finally build my UDS, I was off and running right away. Lots less "tinkering" to keep the fire consistently rolliin along.

Anyway.....good luck on whatever you decide. I'm just saying that for the ease of construction, and overall hassle-free performance, it's hard to beat the UDS. ESPECIALLY when you're learnin like me.

Q on!