MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #481
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
No matter what you say, people flat love that corncake stuff. Even I do. Like Chevy's sweet corn mush. I want to hate it, but, ask for seconds
Oh, I know. In fact, I've even made the corn muffins with sugar and honey using melted butter or bacon grease for the oil. And the pic posted here looks absolutely divine, as long as I knew what to expect flavor wise. Don't think I've ever actually said I didn't LIKE corn cake, just that it wasn't corn bread. I first encountered the corn cake/bread at a Marie Callender's restaurant in Los Angeles. They said it was corn bread. You KNOW what I was expecting. And on the first bite...

Southerners can be quite entertaining when you drag us out of the region...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #482
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

That "plate" looks pretty good from here.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #483
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

When the bloggers and newspaper come, be sure and educate them on how traditional BBQ is served, and that you are bringing a taste of the South and Texas to the area. Once those folks taste good brisket, they will be hooked for life.

My Rotary Club hosted some Swedes on a Friendship Exchange last month, and I cooked BBQ for them (Brisket, ribs, and chicken - I'm a Texas boy - sauce on the side optional), and once they had a taste of the brisket, every bit of that 15lb brisket was gone in a flash. Once they wiped out the brisket, they kept coming back for the ribs. All this to point out, no matter the culture or background, good BBQ will win them over.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #484
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz58 View Post
When the bloggers and newspaper come, be sure and educate them on how traditional BBQ is served, and that you are bringing a taste of the South and Texas to the area. Once those folks taste good brisket, they will be hooked for life.

My Rotary Club hosted some Swedes on a Friendship Exchange last month, and I cooked BBQ for them (Brisket, ribs, and chicken - I'm a Texas boy - sauce on the side optional), and once they had a taste of the brisket, every bit of that 15lb brisket was gone in a flash. Once they wiped out the brisket, they kept coming back for the ribs. All this to point out, no matter the culture or background, good BBQ will win them over.
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing with my ribs. Unsauced ribs around here are almost a mythical creature. But when people try my ribs dry, most comment that they are amazed at how they taste and how they don't even need sauce. So, I think once people try it, they'll get hooked.

And, I may have created a monster. Tomorrow's private event is now up to 150 people. Including the mayor, chamber of commerce, three local newspapers, on top of all the other high profile people already coming.

My alarm is set for 3:30am, but I don't think I'm going to be able to catch a wink.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #485
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Wish I could be there to help. I have two people on vacation and I can't get away. I hope things go well for you. You did order enough food to feed that many people, right?

They all aren't showing up at the same time are they. That really sucks when they do that.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #486
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Wish I could be there to help. I have two people on vacation and I can't get away. I hope things go well for you. You did order enough food to feed that many people, right?

They all aren't showing up at the same time are they. That really sucks when they do that.
Oh yeah, full food order came in today. Cases upon cases of brisket, butts, ribs, and chicken. Already got something like 4 briskets, 18 racks of ribs, and tips a dozen butts, 20 pounds of sausage, and 40 chicken halves prepped and ready to go tomorrow.

Plus all the desserts were baked tonight. So after the meat goes on in the morning we just have to make a buttload of potato salad, slaw, corn bread, and beans.

The idea is to give people basically a bite or two of everything, if they want. So like one rib bone, one tip, a couple ounces of pulled pork and chicken, a little piece of sausage, and a half, maybe full slice of brisket. Plus a small taste of the sides.

And I'll be doing portion control at the pick-up window so that it doesn't become a free for all.

And I've instructed everyone to invite their guests at different times specifically so that the traffic is hopefully spread out. But I have a feeling that there will be a line waiting to bust the door down at 5.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #487
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I forgot to say good luck!

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #488
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Please let us know how it goes, I have a feeling good things are in your future!

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #489
Pa_BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You will sleep well tomorrow night.
PK360
Fireboard, CyberQ
Pa_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #490
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Good luck! Wish I could be there!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #491
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Good luck!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #492
landarc

Best of luck, I hope it is a great event.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #493
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The wifey and I will be down soon. Good luck!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #494
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck!!!!
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #495
Tom Sr
Got Wood.

Best of luck to you and your crew. If I were a betting man ... I'd double down for sure.