MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #31
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

I can put a hurt'n on some tamales......lip smak'n good stuff
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #32
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

For masa I use a 3:1 ratio for masa to lard. 3 pounds masa to one pound lard. Don't use oil, use lard, don't worry you won't die. If you have a mexican market near you can usually get either "preparada" (prepared, meaning they already mixed the lard for you) or no preparada, unprepared (pure masa).

If you get unprepared then you can add how much lard you want but the way to make sure you have enough is the "float test". After mixing lard with masa either by hand or with a stand mixer take a piece and if it floats in water then it's ready. Growing up the men in the family had to mix the masa in large buckets by hand, it was messy and tiring, masa and lard all stuck to your arms. I say F that, I use my Kitchen Aid and do 4 pounds at a time. We're getting ready to make some this weekend. Can't wait!

Edit: I almost forgot to add, make sure to mix in warm beef broth while mixing to get that peanut butter consistency. Start mixing masa and lard then ladle in broth slowly.

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 12-23-2009 at 04:37 PM..
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
planoguy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
Here is a pictorial of me making some in the summer.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=0d3b4d88cf

you shouldn't have to be a facebook member to see the pics

I have no hispanic heritage, but have lived in Texas all my life. About 8 years ago, I decided I would learn to make them. I read some books and did a lot of experimenting. I believe I have come up with the best tamale recipe ever.
Nice pics and looks like great tamales
planoguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #34
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

First batch is steaming. Had to create a makeshift steamer to get enough room. Hopefully it works.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #35
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
So I have a defrost bag of carnitas ready but my wife defrosted brisket slices instead of some shredded brisket point I was hoping to use. Should I chop up the slices and mix with some red chile sauce or I also have some thinly sliced prime rib. May get some poblanos and make some green chile and cheese ones too!
You can try brisket, never had it in a tamale before but if you can keep the meat moist and somewhat shredded then it might work.

I'm not too confident in the prime rib option, medium rare meat in a tamale just doesn't sound right. With tamales the idea is to have a moist meaty filling within light corn flavored masa. The meat can be pork or beef but it's usually cooked and shredded. But hey this is a free country and who knows maybe someone will like it and you'll be making prime rib tamales with Giada while I eat crow! Good luck!

Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #36
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

I make my beef tamales using a chuck roast
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #37
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
BobBrisket,

Thanks for starting this thred. My parents and 8 siblings are all from El Paso. In fact, every "Adauto" in the phone book is a relative.
My sister, wife and I made 5 dozen green chile, pork and cheese tamales last week. They are in the freezer until tomorrow night when we will steam them. Ours are made very similar to the way you described them. This year, I roasted a 30 pound box of Hatch, NM chilies, so they will be real hot. Can't wait.

Benny
Benny,

I'll keep an eye an out for any Adauto in EP! Nothing like Hatch chiles. The green ones just don't taste the same without them. Your story about the "men mixing the masa by hand" brought back memories. I remember my grandpa and dad and uncles taking turns mixing the batch of masa that was usually 20 lbs or more. And the float test........it does work. I wish I had seen your idea about the black olive earlier. I love em and would like to have tried it. I make the green mostly for me. I prefer the green to the red and I like em HOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I bought lard. Should I use a little less oil and add some in?
Little late, but lard is best. There is an unofficial "tamale test". If you can squeeze the tamale out of the husk after it's cooked and it just slides out, then you used enough lard!! Not the healthiest food lubricant, but the tastiest. Besides, it's only once a year. We got lots of time to burn off the extra calories.

All the tamales are looking great. You can use just about anything as a filling.
Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #38
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

So...it is that time for a rookie question...the outer shell is corn husk?
Can you eat that or is it something that only is used to hold the filling and for the steaming process?
Can you use something else like banana leaves for the wrap?

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #39
ytsejam
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
So...it is that time for a rookie question...the outer shell is corn husk?
Can you eat that or is it something that only is used to hold the filling and for the steaming process?
Can you use something else like banana leaves for the wrap?
yes, it is a corn husk. you don't eat it, it just holds it together.
banana leaves work good too.
ytsejam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #40
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

The black olive in the mole with pork adds a nice flavor to the tamale.

Funny story, a couple years back I made some tamales when I lived in Colorado and gave some to my neighbor to taste. He came over the next day with a funny look on his face like he wanted to tell me something but wasn't sure how to bring it up. Finally he worked up the nerve to tell me that he thinks I accidentally dropped an olive in the tamale. I said, "Olive? What olive?". He turned kinda more pale then he already was. Big swallow, he says "there was an olive in the tamale.". I laughed and said "that's not an olive that's a cockroach! It's an authentic mexican tamale!". He believed it because over the years I had already fed him menudo and tripas at my place so a cockroach wasn't too far fetched! I think he wanted to pass out then I told him the truth that I meant to put the olive in there. It look him a little while to compose himself but we laugh about it now.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytsejam View Post
yes, it is a corn husk. you don't eat it, it just holds it together.
banana leaves work good too.
Thanks!

Phunny story Jive Turkey!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #42
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
Once we started smoking the meat for the filling..........we never went back to using the oven or boiling. Smoked meat adds a whole nother falvor level.

Good to know Bob, I've been debating with my mom for a long while now about smoking the pork first but she isn't on board with the idea. She's old school when it comes to tamale makin! You shoulda seen her face when I first busted out the stand mixer instead of using my hands. BLASPHEMY!!

Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #43
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I'm TIRED!!! Made about 110 tamales today. Half I made by myself. These were gifts for my neigbors this year. I delivered 1/2 dozen bags to neighbors in the cul de sac.
No Pics...... You know the rulez!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
Norcoredneck

Man I miss the old neighborhood. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over. Family doesn't eat them so it would be a waste for me to make some. All the neighbors in the hood would bring them over.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #45
Westexbbq

If this thread doesn't get a lot of y'all jonesin' for some tamales,
then nothing will.....
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote