Temp flucuation

DevineSwine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey how far do you guys let your temps fluctuate on your pits. I am new to the digital thermometer and i can see where this thing would make ya pretty luney. Obviously you would not anything large but whats ok?

Over many years of smoking brisket and butts, I have concluded that fluctuations make little difference as long as you don't get into the grilling heat range and take the meat off when it is probe tender. Those thermometers can drive you crazy if you use them for any more than a general guide.

If "fluctuations" means wandering up and down around the desired temp, I totally don't care. 8)

A few years back I put a Taylor probe in my house electric oven and set the temp to 250.
The temp would go up to 275-280 and them drop to 220-225. It took about 7 minutes to drop and about 2 minutes to re-heat.
Quit worrying about my smoker after that 8)

If "fluctuations" means drifting off the desired temp and staying there, I "fix" that and put it back where it belongs.

It's all Good.

TIM

I don't worry about it to much. I usually won't address it until it gets to around 25* out of range and is trending further, then I make an adjustment to my intake. I'm talking Weber Kettle not UDS.

Like the others, I ignore temp variations unless they last longer then 15 minutes or so. Then I make a small adjustment and give it time to take effect and go on from there.

I usually won't address it until it gets to around 25* out of range and is trending further, then I make an adjustment to my intake.
Same here, but I generally start adjusting after about a 10F change. It's not the fluctuation, but where it's trending.

I'm ok with a 15* swing in either direction, but once it starts to reach the extreme ends of that swing I pay more attention to it.

fluctuations occur even during normal cooking.

Disregard anything to do with opening or peeking into the cooker....

Mine normally goes +10 / -10 of target creating almost a 20° difference. As long as it goes up and down and doesn't stay for an extended time period, I just let it go. If it goes for an extended time then I make a MINOR adjustment.

I the Stick burner I keep it to +/- 25 deg every thing else pretty much chugs along a few deg either way. Like HellSmellsLikeSmoke said cooking to probe tender is more important. The oven in your house cooks in a Zone too average of +/- 20 don't expect better out of your pit. That thermo is just a tool and IMO a calibrated analog is a better tool if you like to sit and gawk at it as they react slower and fluctuate less.

Last edited:
Back