MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #9916
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJgoal View Post
Just got one Wednesday, it's my first dedicated smoker. Up til now I've been using my Brinkman grill to smoke. Going to try some ribs tonight to work on getting it dialed in, then a shoulder tomorrow and some smoked queso. Loved reading through this thread, made me very comfortable about pulling the trigger.
You made a great choice, all of these smoked queso recipes lately have made me hungry!

Best advice I can give is open it as little as possible and follow the lighting instructions.

Enjoy the great food!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #9917
AJgoal
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
You made a great choice, all of these smoked queso recipes lately have made me hungry!

Best advice I can give is open it as little as possible and follow the lighting instructions.

Enjoy the great food!
Thanks! I think I have it open a little less than 1/4 (in southern New Jersey), and I figure I'll track the temp tonight with my remote thermometer just to make sure that it's settling in the way it should and make any small adjustments. After that I'll probably ditch the atmospheric temperature testing, everyone seems happy with how it works "set and forget."
AJgoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #9918
AJgoal
Found some matches.

So pulled 35 briquettes from the tray, lit them for 12 minutes, put them back, and let the cooker do its thing. Rather than getting the initial reported temp spike with a corresponding fall, my temp started low (around 235) and has been slowly creeping up ever since. Anyone had this happen when first setting up?

Old 07-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #9919
AJgoal
Found some matches.

OK, going to have to do some troubleshooting, temperature never settled, kept climbing even with the vent closed 100%. No signs of leakage around the lid. Not sure what's up, but I had to seal off the vent to get the temp to stay below 330, it climbed up to 360 after I pulled the meat.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #9920
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just a guess, are you opening the lid a bunch?

Old 07-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #9921
AJgoal
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom b View Post
Just a guess, are you opening the lid a bunch?
No, trying to avoid it. Put coals in, closed lid, waited 15 minutes. Put in ribs, let it go. Temp started at 235 and climbed up past 330 within about an hour. Tapped the vent closed a couple of times, but continued to climb. Sitting at 360 now, but I'd guess part of that is from the air coming in when I pulled the ribs.

I'm not terribly worried about the actual temperature level, I know this runs hot. But the fact that it never settled is making me wonder if I've got something set up wrong.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #9922
AJgoal
Found some matches.

The sun! Criminy. So this morning I started a pork shoulder. Temps looked good and steady right around 290. Then started climbing, and climbing. I stepped out for 20 minutes with the temp around 315 where it had seemed to settle and came back to the barrel running at 345. After damping the vent with a glove and forcing the temp down to around 290, I thought about how and when the temp started to climb, and threw up a sunbrella. Sure enough, with the cooker in the shade the temp has held steady right around 290 for the past hour and a half.

This means now I have to figure out a way to keep the smoker shaded. My patio is pure southern exposure, which isn't the best situation for keeping the sun off. But at least it was operator error.

Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #9923
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

So I finally did a true hot and fast brisket on the PBC. Was over 350 the whole cook. It was a small brisket (10 pounds), but it was done in 4.5 hours. One of my best despite being only choice. Think my days of only lighting a few coals and taking 10 hours on a brisket are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #9924
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
So I finally did a true hot and fast brisket on the PBC. Was over 350 the whole cook. It was a small brisket (10 pounds), but it was done in 4.5 hours. One of my best despite being only choice. Think my days of only lighting a few coals and taking 10 hours on a brisket are over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you hang it at all or grate cook it the whole time? Looks awesome

Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #9925
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Did you hang it at all or grate cook it the whole time? Looks awesome
Thanks!

I used the grate the whole time because it was a smaller brisket and fit wasn't a problem.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #9926
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Johnnylightin: very impressive cook!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 06:41 AM   #9927
JHobs
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : J Hobs
Default Quick Rib Question

I've had my PBC for almost 2 years now. Have done a ton of delicious cooks and always looking to get better on it. I had a question to you other PBC owners on here.

I typically use the foil method and when smoking 3 racks of ribs I've noticed that occasionally 1 rack will be ready for the foil wrap well before the other 2, how do you guys handle that?

Also, I'm a big time temperature guy as that will ensure perfect doneness and tenderness, so I was wondering for those that utilize the foil method, at what temp to you guys pull the ribs to then put them in the foil. I know most say "go by the look or bend test", but I like to have a quick temp probe at it. I typically will pull them off around 205-210 for the final glaze.
JHobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #9928
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHobs View Post
I've had my PBC for almost 2 years now. Have done a ton of delicious cooks and always looking to get better on it. I had a question to you other PBC owners on here.

I typically use the foil method and when smoking 3 racks of ribs I've noticed that occasionally 1 rack will be ready for the foil wrap well before the other 2, how do you guys handle that?

Also, I'm a big time temperature guy as that will ensure perfect doneness and tenderness, so I was wondering for those that utilize the foil method, at what temp to you guys pull the ribs to then put them in the foil. I know most say "go by the look or bend test", but I like to have a quick temp probe at it. I typically will pull them off around 205-210 for the final glaze.
I don't use foil but I'm interested to see an answer to your questions. Bump.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2020, 12:15 PM   #9929
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHobs View Post

Never foiled ribs on a PBC. They come out within 4 hours or less PERFECT!
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #9930
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Smoked meatloaf and potatoes on the PBC last night. Also made some quick butter biscuits for a great dinner last night.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20200927_220558094.MP.jpg (50.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20200927_221126575.MP.jpg (84.5 KB, 142 views)

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it