MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Default Food Safety to excess?

Are we (generic we) going overboard on food safety? Some things like washing after handling raw proteins, refrigeration and such are just sensible, but I’m noticing a disturbing trend of the nanny state creeping into our kitchens in the same manner as bicycle helmets were foisted on us. This was brought to a head for me today as I watched the county health department shut down a Cub Scout fundraiser in a shopping center (they were selling pre-packaged peanuts and popcorn) because they had a bowl of popcorn out for sampling – The HD clown made them close up and leave because they didn’t have a certified food manager – really! Also I see where starting 01/08 in Pennsylvania any business that sells any food item (yes pre-packaged too) will be required to have a certified food manager on site at all times.

Soon will it be – No more bake sales? No more roadside BBQ or other goodies? How soon before our kitchens are in the HD domain and you need a permit and inspection for a dinner party?

Have we gone overboard?
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

To me, in this day and age we live in a world where no one can lose in a game. It's a sue happy world and even though I agree totally with you, the HD is making every possible effort to keep people safe and if that kept me from getting sued then I'll live with that. But yes, they are like a over protective parent for sure. Heaven forbid I might get a tummy ache if I go out and eat.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hear what both of you are saying ..... some of the "odd ball" stories, like the Cub Scout one, are the hardest for me to swallow. On the other hand, we've all seen a few bad habits sicken an entire cruise ship or a convention. I know perfect compliance is impossible. I think I would be happy if 75% of the people followed 75% of the rules 75% of the time.

Something most folks never think twice about, and I see a lot of this time of the year are home canners not following procedure or using questionable techniques when putting up their garden fare. It is a personal pet peeve of mine ....

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
bbqjoe
Banned

I may have said this before, but I think the problem is two fold.
First, we do need some form of food handling knowledge from those who are feeding us. And of course we also need to be aware ourselves of safe food handling procedures when we feed others.

Second, and this is a tricky one. We are rapidly reaching a point of over sterilization.
I think it's possible that we can become too clean of a society, leaving us eventually more susceptible to food borne illness.

For example someone from south of our borders might be much more resilient due to greater exposure and higher immune levels from being exposed to things we are trying to irradicate.
And that is more than likely why people who travel to Mexico complain of getting sick.

But on the same note how could we possibly determine which food borne bacteria is acceptable and which isn't, and to control the amounts presented to us.

I hardly think popcorn and peanuts pose much of any threat when it comes to food borne bacteria, being that there is little to no moisture present for bacteria to thrive.
I guess this one boils down to principle, being that a law is requiring a food manager be present during the public sale of food items.

I see this instance of the scouts just falling under a blanket without regard to what is actually being served and the inherent lack of disease causing criteria.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote