MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Default prime rib on uds advice pls

I have a 11 lb chunk o prime that I need to serve rare...my plan is on to uds @ 325 for 2-1\2 hrs then open vents to reverse sear and pull when internal hits 12o-125.... then towel into cooler. Roast will be close to room temp when I plant in uds.

Any flaws in plan?...Im not real confident in my current thermo...so hoping some seasoned advice from brethern will keep me on track.

rob

Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like a good plan but I don't think the UDS will put the sear on it that you want. Do you have a Weber or something you can get really hot for the sear? Also, monitor your internal temp closely. I'm not sure about the 2 1/2 hours.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

No to weber but I do have back up oven....what internal temp would you reccommend i pull from uds and put in hot oven?

Old 11-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I would prefer a screaming hot grill for the sear but you can probably put it under the broiler and rotate it a couple of times as it sears to get it brown all around. Watch it closely and be careful not to burn it. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur View Post
No to weber but I do have back up oven....what internal temp would you reccommend i pull from uds and put in hot oven?

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Personally, I would pull it out of the UDS when the internal temp hits 120. It won't take but a couple of minutes under that broiler for the sear and the temp will rise a little after you take it out of the broiler. I assume you are shooting for about 130 and I think that will do it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

hmmm...just realized I can take basket of coals and transfer to offset for searing. Big chunk of meat to be rotating in my oven. Im cooking for me and 2 buddies who, for various reasons, are now unable to Q...wives are on different menu and roast must be rare...ive never done reverse sear so my biggest concern is temp rise over searing/coolering time.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

You don't HAVE to sear it.It's Rib Roast,not steak.Searing is just personal preference for some.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

Just pulled it off uds. Ive been taught old school where pan searing all roasts was norm and was worried about colour.....little less than 4 hrs at 250 -350 and she looks phenomenal...resting now and will carve in half hour...pulled at 120 and she went up to 128 but as i mentioned im not confident in themo...

Old 11-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
Kidcurry73
On the road to being a farker

...and?
-'83 Weber Kettle, No date code kettle, A Platinum Kettle (blue with table) and a little O' Smokey Joe
-Older Green Weber Silver Genesis
cmcadams: "What exactly does 'extra bacon' mean? That confuses me, as I don't think it's possible... However, not enough bacon is possible!"
Kidcurry73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 04:39 AM   #10
lemur
Full Fledged Farker

it was AWESOME....Idid take pics but wont be until later today to post (learn how)...one thing tho...I placed roast in a strem table insert bag and then in soft sided cooler for about an hour. there was about a cup and half of juice that I made into delish gravy but I woudh have preffered that moisture in the roast...when coolering large hunks o meat should they be wrapped looosely or airtight ????

rob

Old 11-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How did you pull the roast off the smoker? If you used a fork then it would not matter whether it was wrapped tight or loose. IMO it does not matter.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Oooh oooh I'm looking at doing my first prime rib on the UDS this Yule season
Thanks for posting. Any other advice in hindsight?
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote