Wall mount thermometer reads low on UDS?

EdRowe

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Brethren!

I found some old discussions saying that temp probes mounted on UDS drum wall read 50deg cooler than actual temp in center of cooking grate. I couldn't find anyone who had actually measured the difference. Is this good scoop or old news? I ordered a River Country 3in therm with a 2.5in probe for my UDS I am building.

Also has anyone used the high temp silicone tubing to replace the ring you pulled off to get a better seal on the lid?

Last edited:
I wish I could answer you but I don't know. Hopefully someone will chime in that does.

Brethren!

I found some old discussions saying that temp probes mounted on UDS drum wall read 50deg cooler than actual temp in center of cooking grate. I couldn't find anyone who had actually measured the difference. Is this good scoop or old news? I ordered a River Country 3in therm with a 2.5in probe for my UDS I am building.

Also has anyone used the high temp silicone tubing to replace the ring you pulled off to get a better seal on the lid?

I did some research years ago and developed a steel diffuser that had slots cut into it and forced heat to the outside of the drum to alleviate the big temperature difference from the center to the side. It works, have them in all my drums.

Big fire in the bottom and center, and center exhaust, guess how the heat is going to flow? Yup, straight through the middle. A diffuser of some type is needed to block the center heat if you want to push some heat to the outside of the drum and try to balance.

I think that a small fan of some type, just above the fire basket could create a vortex that could act similar to a convection oven.

What smoker King said is right on the money. Put a diffuser in and it evens things out. I use the charcoal grates from an old smokey. They work well.

Kaptain Kadian: So this grate is used as a diffuser in a UDS? How far above the basket?

A 12" deep fryer thermo will give you the temp in the center of the drum.
A short stemmed one will give you the wall temp. I have seen as much as 80* difference. A de-fuser will equalize the drum temp within 10-20*.

If your lid seals up well enough to snuff your coals you are fine.

Put a Big Chunk of Cold Meat in the center and it'll even out for a while........

Back