MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Question for the Backwoods guys.

This ones for the Backwoods users if your out there.......what temp do you cook your brisket in? Pork? How bout ribs? Do you use the water pan or no? What about Wrapping and when? Just a question.........oops! Sorry, I'm running mine w a guru at 225 and wrap at about 165 respectively...
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

I have an Extended Party. The past year I've kicked it up with great results. Cooking everything now between 270-300.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

I have tried it several ways and it seems to me (with my Party) it settles in and runs best at 240 with my Guru. I can get almost 11 hours burns at that rate with lump. I can run it hotter but I have to tend to it more and I don't get the burn times that I do in the 230 - 240 range.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I used a competitor;

Yes I did use the water pan, always. I had better temperature control with it.

With the use of a BBQ Guru I had best results set at 235-245.

I would wrap according to the color I wanted on the pork, brisket I have never wrapped..

I have now acquired a Humphrey's which is similar to a backwoods competitor in some ways, but more room and more efficient in my personal opinion.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
abangs
is one Smokin' Farker

For competitions: our pork and brisket go low and slow at 225 until foil. When they get the color we like we foil them. From here we bump the temp to 250-260 to finish. Our ribs run 250-260 start to finish. Cooking at home, I cook wherever the cooker I am cooking on decides to settle. Most backwoods cookers will "like" to run between 240 and 260. This is the sweet spot. Running hotter...275 is not a big deal and running cooler...225 is equally easy. Run whatever you feel comfortable with. Wrap on color not temp and you'll be golden!
abangs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you having any issues with your current technique or just looking for other options?

Old 01-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

I also get better control of temps in my competitor with water in the pan, and cook everything at 225 until I pan my butts, brisket, or wrap my ribs. This usually happens at around 150 - 160 degrees internal, depending on color. I pay less attention to temps after that. I use an Auber controller.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, I'm satisfied with the flavor and tenderness, just seems like something's missing. And wanting to do my first comp this year. Idk, maybe more bark.? Just thought I'd try something else.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
CabinFever
On the road to being a farker

I am running a Fatboy. It likes to run at about 225*. I can run it hotter, but that seems to be where it naturally wants to be, so I usually go with that. Always run with water. Thought about a Guru, but it locke and holds temp so well I have never felt it would improve things that much. Sometimes I wrap, sometimes not. Sometimes put brisket/butt in a foil pan to collect more juice to add to the meat. I have been vac sealing a bunch of meat and like to add a little juice sometimes.
Lately if I wrap I have been using butcher paper in place of foil. I have been pleased with the results of the paper over foil. Bought it in late summer and have not done any comps with it yet. I probably will and at that time will be trying to tweek everything a little for optimum results. Love my cooker.
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I run my fatboy at 250 for everything, with water pan and wrap. Unless I'm feeling lazy, then no water, sometimes wrap and 300, til done.

One of the top pork cooks in South Carolina told me they don't foil their butts at all for competition pork while cooking on a backwoods, so the bark sets a little better.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

I don't do any comps, but I run my Party G2 at 250 (seems to be its sweet spot, dead on Bangs!) and I never foil anything. I always run water in my pan, my temps hold steadier that way. I don't have a guru but it stays rock solid for 7-8 hours once I get locked in. I've never had a bad cook, and since Fnbish gave me some tips my smoke rings are great!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
ATLSean
Full Fledged Farker

I do run up to 325 for the Thanksgiving turkeys, but I still run water.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Fnbish, care to pm me for smoke ring help?

Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #14
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

For ribs, I run my Chubby at 250. The convection makes it cook a lot faster than I am used to with my other cookers. At 3-1/2 hours I may foil them for 30 minutes. It feels like I am cooking at 275 even though I have a Thermaworks probe in the cooking chamber that says 250. Yes, I use a water pan and a heat diverter.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 AM   #15
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

my fatboy likes 230 /240 however it will run any temp from 200 up to 500. The water is used for most cooks, however will not allow the meats to bark up..sometimes I wrap other times I dont...I think everythings comes out better not wrapped....the only thing I found with mine, was to start the ribs upside down for the first part of the cook..