MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Grizzly Coolers

Hi,

As we're moving into the new comp season here in the north east (I can't believe it snowed again today), I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Grizzly brand coolers and what your impressions were.

I know that a few Brethren use them, but I haven't seen any discussions yet.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I am sponsored by them. I was a Yeti owner prior but when I saw the Grizzly Coolers I sold my Yeti right away and made the switch. Great handles, great drains, roto-molded (like what kayaks are made of), keeps ice for a long time, great latches, life time warranty, come in colors, and made in the USA. Also slightly less $$ than that other one, plus they are in stock. It's a no-brainer if you ask me. Message me and I will put you in touch with Mitchell who takes care of us.

I own the 150, 60 and 16.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

At first look, they appear very similar to the Yeti line. Had a look at one of those 2 weekends ago, very sturdy, fairly heavy, and a similar price tag to the grizz

oops, I defer to Swamp Boys!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I can buy a refrigerator for $450.

I also don't have a need to keep ice for 7 days.

From what I see, the only people that have them and who lug them around are the people that are getting them for free.

Flame on
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 03-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Fixing to be interesting

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
I can buy a refrigerator for $450.

I also don't have a need to keep ice for 7 days.

From what I see, the only people that have them and who lug them around are the people that are getting them for free.

Flame on
You can buy some 7 day coolers under $100. I think peace of mind is important. How many thousands of dollars of hard to obtain meat will grace the cooler over time?

If you can afford it, why not?. For the other 98% of the population.........
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
little bit of r & r
Knows what a fatty is.

my $45 coleman keeps ice for 5 days I ain't gonna be stranded on an island away from civilization with my comp meat so I agree majority of people that have them are sponsored. I just wish my facebook feed would quit blowing up by people saying I am sponsored by this and that it is beginning to be the end to comp bbq I am afraid too much money.
little bit of r & r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by little bit of r & r View Post
it is beginning to be the end to comp bbq I am afraid too much money.
I'm at a loss here. How is it the beginning of the end of comp BBQ?

Eric

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I have a number of coolers of various brands and I'm not really satisfied with any of them.

I certainly don't get 5 days of ice out of any of them, one of them has water in the lid that I can't get rid of (and must be rancid by now) and none of them are large enough to haul everything for a comp.

If you're investing thousands of dollars in competitions (or hunting or some such), it might be worth it. If not, maybe not.

Eric

Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

There are a whole line of high-end coolers such as Grizzly, Yeti, Engle and Pelican to name a few. They are typically found much more in the outdoors arenas where there is more of a need for heavier duty coolers.

Most offer some nice features such as better handles, lockable lids, built in tie downs and better feet. Some are even bear proof. I don't know many people who switch back to igloos or Rubbermaids after they use a high end model.

Not sure about the Grizzly specifically, I haven't had hands on but from what I have read they seem to be good units.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I don't know many people who switch back to igloos or Rubbermaids after they use a high end model.
So true. I live in FL and have worn out more crappy coolers competing in bbq and fishing than I ever should have. I'm tired of buying disposable coolers.

I'm pretty sure sponsorships aren't going to ruin competition bbq. I don't follow...
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I'd heard of Yeti and Grizzly, but I wasn't familiar with the other two. I should pay better attention.

I'm just not sure where the controversy is. I use a Weber kettle. I have two OTP's and I'm VERY happy with them. They do a fantastic job and last for years and years. If I had the money I would gladly swap one of them out for a BGE. I think that's a reasonable corollary to the cooler situation.

The premium coolers seem to be sturdier, more effective, better constructed and last longer than the rubbermaid or igloo versions. They are also more expensive. The less expensive versions do a great job. That's what I currently use. Would I like to upgrade? Sure.

For some people the quality is worth the investment, for others it isn't. It's certainly not a harbinger of the death of competition BBQ to have some teams using them.

Eric

Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

I've been close to buying a premium cooler like a Grizzly a few times but then I go look at the $65 coleman extreme and have found it hard to justify.

Do you need a Porsche cooler? No. Do you want one? Of course you do. If you have an extra $400 I say go for it.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Do you need a Porsche cooler? No. Do you want one? Of course you do. If you have an extra $400 I say go for it.
Foreget the Porsche coolers. If you have an extra $400, then find another $25 and take Chris Hart's class!

Now to get back on topic, my Igloo and Coleman coolers keep my meats cold for as long as I have needed them to. Not to mention that if I somehow lost or destroyed them that I wouldn't cry.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Last edited by timzcardz; 03-26-2013 at 08:39 AM..
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote