royal oak charcoal???

T

tom9193

i finally got my u.d.s. done and built im gonna do my first cook soon i wanna do a 50/50 mix of lump and briquettes i've been looking for royal oak but wally world is out and menards only has royal oak lump in a two toned green bag , is this the same as the red bag????

The green/tan bag at Menards is the same as the red bag, unless it says Steakhouse. It usually does not.

R.o

if you are looking for r.o. bricket go to KROGERS and get kroger brand brickets HOME DEPOT has COWBOY BRAND lump on sale TRACTOR SUPPLY usually has R.O. KROGER brand is made by R.O. i can`t tell diff. they also make H.D. ,wallmart,wynn dixie, house brands

Go back to Wally World and get the Backyard Grill briquettes, I'm pretty sure it's rebagged RO Chefs Select.

If your near an Academy sports they sell Outdoor Gourmet for $4.99 for 16lbs...it's re-branded RO. Home depot also has a brand called Embers $5.99 for 16lbs...re-branded RO. Just flip the bag over and look toward the bottom right and you will see where it says produced by Royal Oak.

FWIW, for my last two cooks, I used RO briquettes having gotten tired of the comments on KBB. Surprisingly I found the RO to put out A LOT more ash than the KBB.

I burn a lot of R.O. Lump... It's generally good stuff.
Problem is that lately it's too small and powdery.

I'm not sure there's much benefit from mixing Lump and Briquettes,
unless you have a little of each to use up.

Just curious, why are you wanting to mix lump and briquettes? They will burn differently. I'm not saying it will be a bad thing, just looking for why you are wanting to do this instead of keeping your fuel consistent.

ive read on here that many,many guys do a 50/50 mix ...to basicaly from what im understanding take advantage of both types of fuel pro's and con's i live in illinois and royal oak isnt wildly sold i need some for this weekened and the wally world by me is out for a while and the next closet isnt ..menards has the 2 tone green bag and no not steak house it was light green on top the lower half dark green royal oak in yellow letters said 100% all natural hardwood lump charcoal ....i would have posted a pic but havent been able to ...

Hey guys,
Where does this stuff fit into the mix..?
Around here this is the ONLY option for Royal Oak...

kbM0Qybl.jpg

Please advise. :confused:

I have never seen that bag before, the logo looks right though. Interesting.

I wonder if it has to do with importing. Does it say where it is made anywhere on the bag? Usually on the bottom of the front, or maybe back by the barcode.

Here's the bar code and maker's label... good to go I think...

CmYKoFjl.jpg

hDliZYVl.jpg

Note:
Clearly a Canadian addition bag... notice the "en francais" label from the rear of the bag... :fencing:

qHV0Osml.jpg

I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..? :confused:

Here's the bar code and maker's label... good to go I think...

CmYKoFjl.jpg

hDliZYVl.jpg

Note:
Clearly a Canadian addition bag... notice the "en francais" label from the rear of the bag... :fencing:

qHV0Osml.jpg

I've had everything from small pieces that fall through my Performer's grate to pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long come out of these things..?

Thoughts..? :confused:

It's passable but not as good as RO's red bag lump. There's a lot of flat hardwood floor lumber mill scrap in the bag. It's the so-so RO they pawn off on Canadians.

I use it for Hot dogs and Kamado scrub. Too much ash for low and slows and it has a pretty horrid scent when you first light it. Once it gets going it's not so bad. It smells like a burning house when you first light it. There's usually 4-6 I carbonized pieces per a bag. The overall large piece size is good.

I agree...

Sometimes I've pulled out pieces of 1" x 6" @ nearly 6" long or full fist size chunks.

There is also orange-ish looking pieces of clay from time to time or unidentified pieces of what looks like "plastic" meltdown from the charcoal process...

Don't get me wrong... for the most part the majority is good, and it's better then most of the alternatives around here... just wanted to know where it ranks on the ladder compared to what's available closer to home...

Thanks. :-D

I have to agree with Goldenfinger and Charcoal addict, there's not a lot of choice up here. I've had bags of RO with huge chunks, and bags with mostly little pieces, but I've also tried the Maple leaf lump that everyone loves, and I really don't taste much of a flavor difference.

Back