MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #16
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Fine looking piece of meat Kevin.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 AM   #17
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
From my experience That CC must have a low salt content because adding salt right before Sous Vide, draws out a lot of juices. Your steak looks juicy so you either got lucky, or CC is low on the salt content.
That, I believe, is a misconception of the results. Sous Vide itself draws out alot of juice from the meat being cooked...salt or not. There is a ton of juice in the bag after cooking even if no salt was added. It is a common practice to add salt before sealing it up.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #18
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBurnEverything View Post
From my experience That CC must have a low salt content because adding salt right before Sous Vide, draws out a lot of juices. Your steak looks juicy so you either got lucky, or CC is low on the salt content.
I don't know the wizardry behind this, but I don't have to know as long as it keeps turning out this like, med-rare end to end, juicy as ever.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #19
sleebus.jones
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : sleebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
Sous Vide itself draws out alot of juice from the meat being cooked...salt or not.
I have to disagree with you here. Water is lost out of meat when the proteins denature and shrink, which is what squeezes out the water. This happens with higher cook temps. That is why a rare steak off the grill won't have a bloody pool under it and a medium steak will. Lots of folks think less cooked = more bloody pool and it's exactly the opposite. If the steak had been cooked at 125 F, there would have been very little moisture in the bag. I've cooked chuck roasts SV to 130 over 24 hours and did lose some moisture, but no where near like what happened when I cooked one to 180.

Salt doesn't draw out moisture permanently, given the cook time. When you put salt on meat, it will initially bring moisture to the surface. However, given enough time (which may or may not happen with a steak cook) the moisture will be reabsorbed into the meat. Again, it's likely the cook temp is the culprit here, not the salt.

TL;DR The higher temps meat is cooked at, the more water the meat is going to lose.
-=<[url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265227]Cookshack PG1000[/url] | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | [url=http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246017]Cindy, the cinderblock reverse flow pit[/url] | Fireboard>=-
[url=https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/devices/public/d621760bf243b5f50d0f8503aba2bdca]The weather in Sleeb's backyard[/url]
sleebus.jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #20
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

That looks amazing!